NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Michael I.

Default ruth check question

I want another ruth check and have had eyes on this one for a while. Does it look fine for me to pull the trigger? Negotiated a good price but want to run it by you guys before I do buy. Im no Ruth expert by any means but appears to be written in his hand. Are there any concerns? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (78.5 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by w7imel; 08-08-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 PM

It's fine. Here's mine--written three months before, and in excellent numerical agreement:

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-08-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

The signature looks great. And at first glance, so does the handwriting. If you hold off a little while, there will be a great signed Ruth voucher in Al's next auction - the vouchers are a little larger, as is Ruth's signature.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Michael I.

here is my first one everything look ok on this one as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17_21-04-19_476.jpg (76.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg Item_10698_1.jpg (53.3 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by w7imel; 08-08-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Michael I.

what are vouchers? any pictures? and is it signed Babe ruth or GH ruth? I have always wanted a "babe ruth" but you guys have scared the piss out of me to buy anything other than a check. hahah lol. If I could ever find something that everyone agreed on I might buy.

Last edited by w7imel; 08-08-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
what are vouchers? any pictures? and is it signed Babe ruth or GH ruth? I have always wanted a "babe ruth" but you guys have scared the piss out of me to buy anything other than a check. hahah lol. If I could ever find something that everyone agreed on I might buy.
Not sure but all the checks I have seen where GH Ruth.
The counter check I saw was GH Ruth but so much larger than the regular check that you see. The signiture looks twice the size.
If you have ever watched an old movie. They would ask do you have counter check or a voucher. It was very common at that time. They would would say what bank. No account number and then it would be cashed.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

To answer W7's question, the mentioned Ruth bank payment voucher resembles a check but is bigger. Babe was his nickname and you're supposed to sign a check or other financial/legal contract document with your formal legal name. That would explain the lack of Ruth checks and vouchers signed 'Babe.'

Last edited by drcy; 08-09-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Not sure but all the checks I have seen where GH Ruth.
The counter check I saw was GH Ruth but so much larger than the regular check that you see. The signiture looks twice the size.
If you have ever watched an old movie. They would ask do you have counter check or a voucher. It was very common at that time. They would would say what bank. No account number and then it would be cashed.
Which one would be considered more rare and how does it affect the value?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
Which one would be considered more rare and how does it affect the value?
I was only able to find three vouchers by googling, so they are not easy to come by, which is why I acquired it. I hope it affects value in a very positive way.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Supply and demand, Scott. Everyone is familiar with checks, and Ruth's are pre-printed "Babe Ruth." Much bigger comfort zone.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I agree with Scott. I have seen hundreds of GH Ruth Checks but almost never see a counter check. The last time I saw one I think was about five years ago. I am sure if it is going into auction it will be certed.
I think it should sell for more because it is an item you dont see very often. Just an opinion.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 AM

I once had--and subsequently sold--a Gehrig-signed paper party hat. Only one I've ever seen. Probably the only one anyone's ever seen.

It didn't make me rich. (Supply and demand.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-09-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Buyer perception does influence, but the average person who sees the Ruth voucher and isn't told its name would call it a bank check because that's basically what it looks like. It would be accountants and seasoned autograph collectors who call it a voucher not a check. If I hadn't been informed of the correct terminology by Scott, I would call it a check.

Last edited by drcy; 08-09-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Supply and demand, Scott. Everyone is familiar with checks, and Ruth's are pre-printed "Babe Ruth." Much bigger comfort zone.
That's why I said "I hope". My gamble was that collectors might want a larger signature on a tougher item - 2 such collectors would be enough. I could be wrong of course. I'm surprised at how many collectors (not just in this thread, but I have had PM's as well) are asking if signed Ruth checks are good - his signatures on these appear (to me) to be his most consistent. And while I am not a COA fan, the JSA letter that comes with mine might provide additional comfort.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I once had--and subsequently sold--a Gehrig-signed paper party hat. Only one I've ever seen. Probably the only one anyone's ever seen.

It didn't make me rich. (Supply and demand.)
If it was larger than Gehrig's normal paper party hats, and the signature was larger, I think it might have sold for more than his normal small ones that are pre-printed with his name.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 PM
John Smithwick

Does the fact that most of his checks are signed by his initials GH instead of Babe hold down their value, or does the perceived authenticity of a check balance that out?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

In my opinion the value is because it is a Ruth piece specifically a check regardless of signature type, and a check is a great Ruth piece for any collection. I view the G H Ruth signature on my Ruth check as just another variation of his signature. As a purist if you collect Ruth autographed items you could do as I and many others have done and collect all variations of his signature on items, it makes a fun search/project.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Michael I.

And to Scott's reply about so many people asking if Ruth checks are ok. Its because the autograph forgeries have made myself as well as I'm sure most of us leary of dropping several thousand bucks on something that at least someone with years experience hasn't looked at for a quick second opinion.

Last edited by w7imel; 08-09-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

I understand. If you google Ruth checks you will find a far far smaller % of forgeries than any other type of signed Ruth item.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I understand. If you google Ruth checks you will find a far far smaller % of forgeries than any other type of signed Ruth item.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
This is very true. Though by no means automatically genuine, checks, contracts, and official documents afford collectors with items that have a less likely chance of being forged.

Within Ruth's lifetime, many proxies signed for the Babe, fellow players, clubhouse personnel, caddies, secretaries, etc., etc., a frenzied demand for Ruth signed baseballs and photos in comparison to others of notoriety.

An ever-increasing forging trend has further diluted the genuine ones to an unimaginable degree, the existing number of genuinely signed Ruth baseballs staggeringly low compared to the seemingly endless supply, far more rare now than most can conceive of.

Going with checks and official documents/contracts is one way to tip the odds of authentic acquisition back to at least 50/50 (as these too have been counterfeited or altered, due diligence still should be maintained).
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
And to Scott's reply about so many people asking if Ruth checks are ok. Its because the autograph forgeries have made myself as well as I'm sure most of us leary of dropping several thousand bucks on something that at least someone with years experience hasn't looked at for a quick second opinion.
As you spend more time studying examples of Ruth's signature, you will hopefully become more comfortable with non-legal signed items. With all the forgeries out there, it certainly is more rewarding to acquire an item that you had to work harder to feel comfortable with. I have a Ruth-signed notecard as an example, and love the story behind it.

I haven't trusted most Ruth-signed balls but at the National a friend of a friend brought a 1928 Ruth home run ball to my table for an opinion. I was surprised at how easy it was to feel comfortable that it was real, even without the amazing story behind it. After this experience I made a mental note to myself: Don't rule out Ruth-signed balls, but make sure you can see them in person before purchasing.

Nothing wrong with getting second opinions. One person might feel very comfortable buying Ruth checks, but not so much buying a ball. Others might not feel comfortable with anything, which is also fine.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Michael I.

Thanks again for all advice. I got my Check out and under magnification along with several other "know good examples". I think I'm finely starting to understand the "Bouncy" term you guys always talk about. I also starting to see the points where more pressure is exerted to the pen during signature strokes. The fake seem a whole lot different like the signature has no natural flow. Also interesting to see how ink looks twice as dark in spots where letters are retraced during authentic signatures vs forgeries....Thanks again guys for helping me "take my game to a new level" Very glad I got a little more serius about the hobby. May save me alot of headache down the road.

Mike
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice checks, guys. Thanks for sharing too..
Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

here's mine.... took photo under a yellow light, makes color look different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8829456012_d8ed733d91_z.jpg (35.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Michael I.

++++++++++++++ Very nice!!!!! You also got a check he made out to claire. I bought mine for that reason, because you get 2 ruth signatures on same check. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:57 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
++++++++++++++ Very nice!!!!! You also got a check he made out to claire. I bought mine for that reason, because you get 2 ruth signatures on same check. Thanks for sharing.
No problem, yours is very nice too. Now 3 Claire Ruth-Ruth checks in this thread....
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Michael I.

Very nice!!!!! Any others out there? What kind of yellow light behind it? I want to take picture of mine that way as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

It was just one of those soft yellow light (not white light)energy efficient spiral bulbs above it, not behind. I just moved it under light bulb because the room was dark. I wasn't really trying to give it any kind of color effect just needed adequate lighting to get a good shot but then noticed the check looks a bit different in the photo.