NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Braves Signed Baseball Project - Opinions?

OK, so I really like signed ROMLBs and have been thinking about starting a project of some kind. Originally, I just wanted to get a big display case and fill it with random HOFs and famous players. But, that is a really daunting task and something that I'm not really up for the challenge at this time. What I have decided I would rather do is a small set for my favorite team...the Braves.

I have discovered that they home plate shaped wall display cases that hold 12 baseballs and I think that would be perfect for this particular project. The cases appear to be very esthetically pleasing and they filter out 98% of the UV light so the balls should be fairly safe. I was thinking of a case like this:

Now comes the planning part where I would like some input. I have been thinking about 2 ways to do this. One would simply be to find 12 signed balls. The other would be 11 signed balls and one logo ball. I was thinking the bottom holder, where only a single ball goes would be a great place for a non-signed Rawlings Braves logo baseball. I know they are cheap plastic skinned balls...but it would add a nice visual that it is a Braves set. What do you think...12 signed or 11 signed and one logo?

I also need to come up with the players for the set...and here I would like some opinions. I want the set to represent the great players throughout Braves history. When you think of the Braves...I want the players here to be the players that come to mind as their best. For example, Babe Ruth player for the Braves for one ugly season...I don't think he would be a good fit because although he was a great player, he wasn't with the Braves. I thought the best place to start would be with the Braves' retired numbers (not including Jackie Robinson).

The retired numbers players are:
John Smoltz
Bobby Cox
Dale Murphy
Warren Spahn
Greg Maddux
Phil Niekro
Eddie Mathews
Hank Aaron
Tom Glavine
Chipper Jones

With the retired numbers, there are already 10 players. If I decide to go the logo ball route...I would only need 1 more.

A few other players come to mind that could be that 11th player (and 12th if no logo ball was used). Other players I have been considering are:

David Justice (3x all-star, '90 NL ROY, as a child my favorite player and the guy who hit the 1995 WS winning home run)
Andruw Jones (5x all-star, 10x gold glove)
Terry Pendleton ('91 NL MVP)

Of course, there might be a player or two I have failed to consider...especially older players. I would love to hear some opinions.

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 06-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Cool project...i like it!

Murphy, Niekro and Chipper all sign TTM with good regularity. Should bring down your cost some.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Cool project...i like it!

Murphy, Niekro and Chipper all sign TTM with good regularity. Should bring down your cost some.
I think it will be a fun project. I have done some research with the TTM possibility for this project and from what I have seen...when it comes to balls only Murphy and Niekro are reliable. I have sent two baseballs out for signatures in the past (Bobby Doerr and Bob Uecker) and if you use a ROMLB and factor in postage and packaging costs...they cost about $25 each. Phil Niekro chargers a $25 fee for his signature on a baseball. So, for Niekro, it would cost $50. I can get a PSA certified Niekro ROMLB online for $50, so I think I will buy a signed ball for him.

Now, with Murphy. I think it makes more sense to try TTM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM

I will be purchasing most of these balls online and I want to purchase balls that have been authenticated by reputable companies. I know that PSA is considered very good...but what about the others? What other companies are considered reputable. Is JSA considered on par with PSA for example? Who should I stay away from and who should I trust?

I am going to be very picky with this collection. I want to find nice looking signatures on ROMLBs signed with blue ink only. No inscriptions of any kind...just a signature. The goal is a nice looking uniform set. I have also noticed that some player's signature varies a lot. For example, I have seen Hank Aaron signed balls (PSA certified) with very attractive signatures and some (also PSA) with very ugly/crude signatures. Perhaps they were signed in a hurry or perhaps Mr. Aaron's signature is beginning to get sloppy as he ages (or both). Point being, I want to find nice quality certified and attractive pieces and I know those cost a premium...so I want to ensure they are authentic.