NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: What were the most Hall of Famers to play in a single game?

I don't know the answer but would love to find out.

I am selling some old Yankee scorecards that I recently picked up. I was shocked to see some of the lineups back in the old days. One of the scorecards that I have was from a game between the NY Yankees & Philadelphia Athletics which took place back in 1928.

There were 10 Hall of Famers that played in the game. I think that's incredible. It got me thinking about the most Hall of Famers in 1 game. I googled my question but have yet to find the answer.

In case you are curious, here are the 10 Hall of Famers that played in this game.

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Tony Lazzeri
Leo Durocher
Earle Combs
Waite Hoyt
Mickey Cochrane
Eddie Collins
Al Simmons
Jimmie Foxx

What's even more mind boggling was that there were 5 other Hall of Famers on the two teams who did not play in that game.

Ty Cobb
Tris Speaker
Lefty Grove
Bill Dickey
Herb Pennock

There is even more:
Miller Huggins - Manager
Connie Mack - Manager
Bill McGowan - Umpire

So, between the 2 teams (plus the umpire) on this particular day there were 18 future Hall of Famers. Do you think that will ever happen again?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard

Last edited by Buythatcard; 03-19-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Tim B
Banned

I think because of free agency the potential is there for more than 10 HOF to have played in one game and perhaps have more than 15 on the two combined rosters. I think back to some of the late eighties stars who hung on too long and bounced around and think their must have been a matchup or two that compares to get to ten.

That said, I don't think you will find any where the star power of your example will even be approached. That is some list!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM

not sure if this is the answer, but on april 20, 1939, the yankees played the red sox. the box score includes ...

red ruffing
joe gordon
bill dickey
lou gehrig
joe dimaggio
lefty grove
bobby doerr
ted williams
joe cronon
jimmie foxx

ruffing and grove both went the distance; ruffing won 2-0.

yankees also had hof pitcher lefty gomez.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

It'd be interesting to find the World Series game with the most.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to focus on the 1950s matchups between Brooklyn and the Yankees.

Mantle, Ford, DiMaggio(only '51), Berra, Ford, Mize?, Rizzuto?

Jackie, Snider, Campanella, Reese

I'm not sure how many of these played even in the same year...obviously, DiMaggio was only in '51.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Players in the 20s and 30s were liberally represented in the hall of fame so I don't know that it's likely. Someone like Tommy John or Jim Kaat were probably better than Grimes, Hoyt, Pennock and even Gomez. There was half the number of teams which would lead to a greater dilution of hall of famers in the modern game. I don't know if the game you sited is the one with the most hall of famers or not (not including All Star games of course) but I am pretty sure you'd need to look pre expansion and the 1920 or 30s seems like a good bet. I don't think the very good Cubs teams of the early 20th century ever had more than four HOFers on the team any one time and I would imagine that was the most or close to the most of the deadball era.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 PM

The Giants of the 20s and 30s were absurdly over represented in the hall of fame. The 1924 Giants had the following HOFers on the roster:

Highpockets Kelly
Frankie Frisch
Travis Jackson
Hack Wilson
Ross Youngs
Bill Terry
Freddie Linstrom

and they were managed by BOTH John McGraw and Hughie Jennings.

Looking up Giants WS games. Here's game 2 of 1923:

Dave Bancroft
Frisch
Youngs
Casey Stengel (!)
Kelly
Jackson
Babe Ruth
Herb Pennock

Okay, so no record there.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Other likely candidates:

Game 1, 1927 world series:

Combs
Ruth
Gehrig
Lazzeri
Hoyt
Waner #1
Waner #2 (their mom must have been so proud)
and Pie Traynor

Game 2, 1928:

Frisch
Bottomly
Hafey
Maranville
Alexander
Ruth
Gehrig
Lazzeri
Leo Durocher (playing 2B)

Game 3 is the same except swap out Alexander for Haines.
Okay, got it beat, game 4 1928. All of the position players above, plus Alexander and Hoyt. That's ten.

1956 game 3:
Reese
Snider
Robinson
Campanella
Mantle
Berra
Slaughter
Ford

Okay, game 4 of 1928 is the best that I've got. Founds bunches world series games with eight HOFers, only one with ten so far.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
The Giants of the 20s and 30s were absurdly over represented in the hall of fame. The 1924 Giants had the following HOFers on the roster:

Highpockets Kelly
Frankie Frisch
Travis Jackson
Hack Wilson
Ross Youngs
Bill Terry
Freddie Linstrom

and they were managed by BOTH John McGraw and Hughie Jennings.

Looking up Giants WS games. Here's game 2 of 1923:

Dave Bancroft
Frisch
Youngs
Casey Stengel (!)
Kelly
Jackson
Babe Ruth
Herb Pennock

Okay, so no record there.

Bill James attributes Frankie Frisch's tenure on the Veterans Committee to the glut of Giants and Cardinals teammates who were elected. He was very loyal.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente