NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The making of - "Handbook To US Early Candy and Gum Cards" - Egan, 1969

The history of the hobby is fascinating to many of us. The "HANDBOOK TO U.S. EARLY CANDY AND GUM BASEBALL ISSUES" Egan, 1969, is one of the classic works of early hobbyists. To those that might not know, Richard Egan set out, with some other collectors, to detail each set and each card in the American Card Catalog's "E" section, where they pertained to baseball players only. (The ACC listed all the sets together with rudimentary information and value of each). These collectors were going to change the numbering system of the Candy (E) cards in the ACC too. The baseball issues would be segregated from other early candy issues. And last but not least, the original plan was to have a picture of a front and back of each card. The Handbook, and these unique letters will explain the reasoning behind it's existence, details of how cards were check-listed and the new catalog numbers moving forward. Since we mostly use the original ACC#'s today it doesn't seem like the new numbering scheme stuck. Regardless, it is an interesting subject and this thread will go through the entire initial origination process of the key people on the Handbook project Richard Egan, Buck Barker and Dick Dobbins. This Handbook was from one of a few collections of hobby publications acquired recently.

Last edited by Leon; 10-29-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: changed some information
Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Clayton

Great score Leon !! I am also a fan of the hobby history myself, this would be a great read. Thanks for posting this.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Fred

Leon,

How many pages are in that publication?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Great score Leon !! I am also a fan of the hobby history myself, this would be a great read. Thanks for posting this.

Sincerely, Clayton
Hi Fred
The Handbook is a great read. The documents I will sharing are beyond that, imo. As stated, I want this to be a chronologically correct thread and what's coming is really neat and will be in order. Intermittent comments are welcomed. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 12-04-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correct the "tense"
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Frank Wakefield

Fred, Mr. Egan numbered the pages so that the cover depicted above is page 1. The inside back cover is an index, and it has page 83 on it. the outside back cover is blank, and would be page 84. Mr. Egan's Handbook is quite interesting, reading it enables someone to understand Mr. Burdick's system a bit better, and to understand what was known about the cards back in 1969. Leon's copy above, with the inscription, is a true treasure.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default more ....

more in the chronology from before the Handbook was even thought about until it's first inspiration (shown before but goes in this thread)....and since Dick Dobbins contributed (and there are these docs and more to show it) I want to get this Jan., 1966 letter in too.

Last edited by Leon; 12-04-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added letter
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM

This is great; I have been after this book for a while and have never been able to come across a copy.

The only Egan item in my collection is a copy of the World Tobacco Index that passed through his.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ndex71E011.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ndex71DF75.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ndex71DFD4.jpg