NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Your experience bidding on poorly photographed Ebay cards

At the risk of calling attention to a card I am thinking of bidding on Ebay, I wonder what other’s experience and advice is when the card photo looks a little “off”

It looks like the card I am interested in is just on very low contrast because the card image colors look pretty dull… but as a friend of mine smartly pointed out, the white in the grading company tag looks equally washed out. I just wonder if the seller just has a low contrast photo and it all may look much brighter in hand.

I reached out to the seller to ask if he’d be willing to share additional images of the card. I was disappointed that he told me that he was not able to do this and that the image on eBay was an accurate reflection of the card, color, etc.

I’m a bit torn now. The other aspects of the car look great. Centering, corners, registration, etc.

But I can’t decide if it’s worth the risk to not know how bright the colors are live and in person.

Wondering how others have dealt with this when chasing a card like this?

Thanks, Looking forward to hearing your own experience.

Jeff.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:03 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Its always tempting to bid/buy but I would not risk it

I would contact the seller thru the ebay contact and ask them to email you or post better quality pictures

If he does not or cannot not that I move on to something else

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-10-2023, 02:07 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post

I would contact the seller thru the ebay contact and ask them to email you or post better quality pictures

What Jeff said.

If a listing has poor photos I generally assume they are trying to hide something.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 02-10-2023, 02:11 PM

I have had eBay buyers ask for different or additional photos many times--and I always do it--it is super easy and you have a possible buyer!

Either they are trying to hide something or are just so grumpy that you wouldn't want them to have your money anyway!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:13 PM
Charles Jackson

Sometimes there are poorly photographed SGC cards, and if you can get the Cert. # from the seller, you can look it up on SGC's website and get a better look from the "seller ready" pictures there. Of course, that won't show any damage to the slab that may have occurred, but you can always get a new slab.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:23 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

If I cannot see a cards front and back clearly, then I move on. If the person does not have the time to do that simple thing on eBay, I don't have the time for what they are offering.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Risky but

Is there a return policy ? This may help you decide….. but no question you are playing a gambling game …. there’s sellers on the internet that prey on people trying to get a “bargain” so tread carefully my friend!!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:38 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Net54 never fails to help! Thx lads!! Such good advice here… love the SGC cert # idea.

Will try that next!

Jeff
Old 02-10-2023, 09:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I’ve bought several poorly listed or photographed items on eBay - and it’s always paid off. Some examples:

I got a box full of boxing T cards for $500 because the seller stated there were several hundred but only showed like 40 of them. With eBay’s return policy, it was a 0 risk buy. Turned out to be like 1,100 cards.

I bought a lot with a T206 Brown Cubs on Shirt, an OM southern Leaguer with name at top, and a T220 silver boxer for less than $15 because the photos were so grainy it was difficult to make out which card was which and it was in the wrong category. Again, with eBay’s return policy, no risk.

I bought some uncut T card panels for less than 1% of their value because they were listed as “old reprints”. That risk was on me, not eBay, if I was wrong in assessing they were probably authentic, but the low price made the risk very low.

Bought a gorgeous and colorful Turkey Red card that looked dull and washed out because of the scan. The slip helped me ascertain that the card was almost certainly not how it looked in the scan. Bit of a dice roll, but paid off, got it for under value.

Knowing what eBay’s return policy will cover helps mitigate risk. The first 2 examples here, were 0 risk because eBay would have quickly refunded me. The bottom two were low risk, but a little bit of risk, and the last mirrors the OP situation.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

A few years ago, a seller listed a lot of four signed cards that included a tough one I needed for my 1953 Topps project. The photo was terrible (I could barely see the signatures, much less make an assessment of them) but at the listing price I figured it was worth a shot. It ended up working out; the signatures were all good, and I landed them for a fraction of what they would have gone for with better pictures.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Most of my best buys on Ebay have been poorly listed and/or with poor images.

I've had a couple that weren't great, but overall way more good ones than bad. I may just be good at seeing what's there.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:34 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Most of my best buys on Ebay have been poorly listed and/or with poor images.

I've had a couple that weren't great, but overall way more good ones than bad. I may just be good at seeing what's there.
Yeah, I think that's the key. If you bought every out of focus card on ebay it wouldn't be a good strategy. If you know enough to be able pick out the lots where the seller doesn't know what he's got, I expect you can get some really good deals.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:19 AM
Howard Chasser

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post

Perfectly stated!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I've gotten a few bargains on poorly photographed cards that turned out to be quite nice. It's definitely a risk, though.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry