NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Is there a definitive Zeenut gallery somewhere?

I'm looking to browse images of every Zeenut card made/known. I know it's a lot of cards, but I wasn't sure if there is a website or book out there that has taken a stab at it. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Nope. I wish there was, but i am not aware of anything ever being published. There are some checklists that are pretty complete, but certainly nothing with images of "every Zeenut card made/known."

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 10-15-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'm looking to browse images of every Zeenut card made/known. I know it's a lot of cards, but I wasn't sure if there is a website or book out there that has taken a stab at it. Thanks.
Conor - You should look for a copy of Jim Horne's Zeenut publication. It's not easy to find now, but it appears sometimes on eBay and elsewhere. It doesn't have pictures of all Zeenuts, but it's got representative examples. That's the best you're going to do...

Bill
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Not a complete photo gallery as it is merely my own collection of Zeenut cards but my online gallery is about as close as you are going to find. I have spent quite a bit of time uploading images of my cards to my www.StarsOfTheDiamond.com website. I know there are quite a few collectors that frequently refer to my website. I don't claim it to be anything more than my own collection, (although I'd love to add more to it). I focus mainly on the 1911 to 1928 sets but have been picking up more and more 1929-1938 cards lately so hopefully I can continue to add to the collection over time.

http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html

There are about 2,200 images currently with another 100 or so to be added shortly. The images are NOT super high quality by design (as I don't really want people to steal images for their own gain or anything, but don't mind anyone using them as a reference guide)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 10-16-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:10 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Rhett is right, his sight is a great way to see a bunch of Zeenuts. Nothing else I have found comes close.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-15-2015, 11:12 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Rhett is right, his sight is a great way to see a bunch of Zeenuts. Nothing else I have found comes close.
+1

I had not visited Rhett's site in quite a while. That is a tremendous group of Zeenuts that he has there, along with the rest of his collection.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:02 AM
pariah1107

No, but there are definitive Zeenut collections. Assemble them and it may be made...

Last edited by pariah1107; 10-16-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 AM
Marc S.

My collecting dream would be for there to be a coffee table book much like the Old Judge one, documenting Zeenuts, the years, the rarities, the variations, etc.

Conor - to your specific question, there are dozens of Zeenuts across the years for which images would be extra ordinarily hard, if not impossible, to access. Yes, we all know about the Bohen card. But there are dozens more at that level of rarity, many of which are missing from the collections of those that have been actively looking for decades.

For example, there was a private auction last year for a 1920 Zeenut of Ross, from Portland. This beat up Zeenut sold for over $800-, just one of those cards that is invariably missing from the many "partial sets" that you see of Zeenuts that infrequently get auctioned. There are many other cards like that, if not significantly rarer.

Mad props to Rhett for all that he has shared with his scans. I'd like to put together a site sometime that shows tabbed Zeenuts with a few dozen examples, spanning the possible years. Probably a 2016 New Year's Resolution.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Mark Macrae

A picture book is a great idea, but along the lines of the wonderful effort on the Old Judge Book, there are too few individuals that would pay the necessary costs to research, publish and support such a book. You would likely sell less than 250 copies. There are currently only a few images , among the 4000 + different known cards, which are missing from modern collector's access. Rhett's website is the best online image source and likely will be for awhile. The California Historical Society in San Francisco houses the Dick Dobbins Zeenut collection, but has restricted access and charges for each individual image (No cameras are allowed in the research room)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Larry Moe

Rhetts site is the best I check every week to see what he has added
Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
A picture book is a great idea, but along the lines of the wonderful effort on the Old Judge Book, there are too few individuals that would pay the necessary costs to research, publish and support such a book. You would likely sell less than 250 copies. There are currently only a few images , among the 4000 + different known cards, which are missing from modern collector's access. Rhett's website is the best online image source and likely will be for awhile. The California Historical Society in San Francisco houses the Dick Dobbins Zeenut collection, but has restricted access and charges for each individual image (No cameras are allowed in the research room)
Mark, how complete was Dick's collection?
Old 10-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Mark Macrae

Dave...The Dobbins collection is lacking less than 100 of the cards listed in Jim Horne's 1977 checklist (appx 3700 cards listed) . There are however numerous printing variances that are not included in the Dobbins collection. Dick worked on his collection about 50 years. He met several of the players in the Zeenut series and had them autograph their card. The Zeenut collection is housed in large archival albums, along with many other Pacific Coast League cards. Its a great way to spend an afternoon, but advanced reservations are mandatory , and there are numerous restrictions, along the lines of viewing the Burdick Collection in New York.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Robert A

Cmon Mark. Just write the book. I'll chip in on the cost.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Steven H.

I'll help with the research and chip in on the publishing cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Thanks, guys. I'll just do the best with what I can find.