NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Another ebay Scumbag!!!!!!!

Seaver.jpg

I recently won this card on ebay.

The picture on the left is what the seller had in his auction description. Pretty nicely centered with ridiculously sharp corners. You could even 'supersize' the image and it still looked perfect.

The photo on the right is my scan of the card I received in the mail today. This is the same freakin' card!!!!!!!! The only 'touch-ups' I did were auto tone, contrast and color in Photoshop to sharpen the scan.

Can you believe the bullshit manipulation by this scumbag seller??!! He:
A) Made each corner as sharp as a tack!
B) Made the entire outside area of the card as white as snow!
C) Completely eliminated the rough cut across the top to make it as straight as an arrow!
D) And if you look at the bottom left corner of the actual card, you can see he extended the entire left side of the card in his picture to make it appear like it was centered much better!!!!
E) I won't even mention how he straightened out the bottom, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God am I pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

And all this bullshit for less than a $5 card!!!!

I'll hold out exposing this dick until I tell him to go f*** himself via ebay. He better do the right thing, f***ing douchebag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by Leon; 08-16-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: took out f bombs
Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Who was the seller? Can you link the ebay listing for us?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM

That's messed up. Seems like a lot of work for 5 bucks.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Marty

I'm guessing he just "borrowed" a scan of a nice card. Not cool.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 AM
David Linardy

Default seaver

Way too much trouble to photoshop up a card for a $5 sale...

probably swapped out the card (either on purpose or by mistake)...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Doctored Scan

Picking up on the last post, Daren---do you think he was able to manipulate his scan that much or just used the scan of a better card. There was a thread on pre war some time back showing examples of how the same card can be better displayed by scanning techniques, but this would be "impressive" manipulation of a scan. I wonder why anyone would bother on a fairly low $ card since they would know the end result is likely to be a refund and a negative .

We had this card in an earlier thread asking what was Tom doing ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-16-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No F bombs please.....
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Bi11..R0berts

What was the sellers description of the card? That would be interesting to see.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Attachment 110283

I recently won this card on ebay.

The picture on the left is what the seller had in his auction description. Pretty nicely centered with ridiculously sharp corners. You could even 'supersize' the image and it still looked perfect.

The photo on the right is my scan of the card I received in the mail today. This is the same freakin' card!!!!!!!! The only 'touch-ups' I did were auto tone, contrast and color in Photoshop to sharpen the scan.

Can you believe the bullshit manipulation by this scumbag seller??!! He:
A) Made each corner as sharp as a tack!
B) Made the entire outside area of the card as white as snow!
C) Completely eliminated the rough cut across the top to make it as straight as an arrow!
D) And if you look at the bottom left corner of the actual card, you can see he extended the entire left side of the card in his picture to make it appear like it was centered much better!!!!
E) I won't even mention how he straightened out the bottom, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God am I pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

And all this bullshit for less than a $5 card!!!!

I'll hold out exposing this dick until I tell him to go f*** himself via ebay. He better do the right thing, f***ing douchebag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you believe that the card he sent you (card on right) is the same card as you show on the left?

It is not the same card...you were the victim of a classic bait & switch...or a mistake...there are prints dots to the right of Seaver's glove and below his cap on the card on the left, but not on the card on the right. If he was to put so much effort into enhancing the image on the left, why would he add print defects?

Why do you think that this is the same card? Or are you playing a joke on us?

Last edited by horzverti; 08-16-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Dave

Looks like this is the card in the first scan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-T...item4175adefe6

Looks like he sent you a replacement card or grabbed the wrong one off the pile. I would just contact him and see what happens. Maybe he'll send you the right card, or just give you your money back without having to return.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM
David Linardy

Default seems the case

that he grabbed the wrong card...

We all make mistakes... this gent with 100% positive feedback could very well have done just that in sending you the wrong card...

I would hold off on exposing him until he responds to your replacement/refund request...

After all, I am sure he is not going to compromise his solid ebay reputation for a $5.00 transaction...

-Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Mike Bodner

File an "Item not as Received" dispute with Ebay and explain the situation. You should be covered under their Buyers Protection Program if the seller doesn't realize their mistake.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM

That's what I think happened. Everybody else that bought from him seemed happy. I'm not sure we sould always assume dishonesty, especially in a public forum like this one, when something like this happens.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Ebay has this stupid option of adding a stock photo from their database. I would bet that is what happened here. Actually it has become semi automatic and you have to manually remove before listing, so it easy to miss. It happened to me but in the opposite way; the stock photo was a beater and the card I had for sale was EX.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Listen, I don't know how to make this any clearer. The card in his scan and the card I received ARE the same card. I overlaid them and the little nuances in the corners, etc., match up perfectly. They're the same card! This wasn't an accident. Obviously, if it had been a simple mistake, I wouldn't have reacted so harshly.

This seller PURPOSELY doctored the scan. I am very skilled in photoshop and a scanned image brought into the program doesn't suddenly become perfect without a good amount of labor. It is NEVER an accident. He obviously laid the true scan of the card over a pristine white rectangle and combined the images. He's a scumbag!!!!

And those of you who say, "Why would he do this for a $5 card?" are ridiculous. First of all, he didn't know how much it would sell for. The reason he doctored it was to make it more appealing, hoping it would raise the selling price. Or, let's say he DID know it would only sell for less than 5 dollars. That makes him an even bigger scumbag. He would try to f*ck you over for 5 measly dollars?????? What a loser!!!!!! People like him make me sick!!!!!

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And FYI, here's his description:
"The card pictured is the one you will receive. Card is in fantastic condition! Zoom in and check it out!"

Pure and utter lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Stengel

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No F bombs please.....
Sorry, Leon. Next time I'll take a deep breath first.

Casey Stengel

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Al Richter

Default Apologies

Speaking only for myself I apologize for being ridiculous and adding to your bad day
Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Speaking only for myself I apologize for being ridiculous and adding to your bad day
Haha, Al. I was being more metaphorical with that comment. I meant ridiculous in a playful sort of way.

Casey Stengel

Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

There are 2 significant differences in both pictures for someone with a keen eye
the card in the left has a yellow print mark in the red stripe in the bottom right
that is typical of 72 topps and the card in the right doesn't have it, now the card
in the right has a long yellow print mark that runs along the bottom of the red
stripe just above the inside black line that is also typical of 72 topps and the card in the left doesn't have it, however i do believe you got cheated on purpose
is a simple case of lets give the bargain hunter a headache by the seller, because
of the final bid of under $3 to a card that normally would bring $10/15 he switched the card knowing that most people won't make a big deal about a small
transaction like that, and if you do giving you your money back still lets him come out ok when he does sell the card for lets say $8/12.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Richard L.

Seller does offer a 14 day money back, just send it back for your 2.93 refund. And let him know how you feel.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
There are 2 significant differences in both pictures for someone with a keen eye
the card in the left has a yellow print mark in the red stripe in the bottom right
that is typical of 72 topps and the card in the right doesn't have it, now the card
in the right has a long yellow print mark that runs along the bottom of the red
stripe just above the inside black line that is also typical of 72 topps and the card in the left doesn't have it, however i do believe you got cheated on purpose
is a simple case of lets give the bargain hunter a headache by the seller, because
of the final bid of under $3 to a card that normally would bring $10/15 he switched the card knowing that most people won't make a big deal about a small
transaction like that, and if you do giving you your money back still lets him come out ok when he does sell the card for lets say $8/12.
Nope.
That speck is white and is obviously a piece of dust or whatever. I have the blowups here. It's white.

Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 7.30.17 PM.jpg

And the yellow print mark in the red you're talking about? You can see the same texture in that area of his 'dream card.' Again, via the blowups. He obviously painted red over it in that area. He probably had the opacity relatively low so it blended well. It's good photoshop work, but it's reprehensible!

IT IS THE SAME CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 08-16-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

W/E...see if you can send it back...go from there
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Sorry - There's no way that's the same card.

Ignoring the white dot that probably is dust.

The registration is different. The blue arrows point to two areas where this shows well, the stars are much more red at the bottom. And the lighter colored area at the bottom of the picture shows red in the card at the right. The green arrows point to the yellow line Pepis mentioned. It's another thing caused by the red being printed high in relation to the other colors.

The orange arrow points to the white areas on the left side, which are smaller on the right card. This is from the black being printed slightly farther right.

The red arrows point to other print dots that are different. The one on his hat on the right card and the one by his knee on the left may be more dust, but the dark spot in the upper left of the picture on the right card and the lighter yellow spots in the banner just below that on the left card aren't.

The blowup from the auction shows a few more print spots that probably don't match either.

Yes, some stuff like the exact shape of the corners of the border will match. Because the plates are very nearly identical. And if they happen to befrom the same plate they should be exactly the same.

Steve B
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Your silly arrows don't prove anything! Didn't you hear the OP? It's the same freaking card!

Nice job, Steve!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah, the arrows are way too squiggly to be of much value. I just can't seem to draw well in MS paint.

Someday I'll get one of them skinny no keyboard computers with one of them inkless pen thingys.

Steve B
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Your silly arrows don't prove anything! Didn't you hear the OP? It's the same freaking card!

LOL. No kidding. The OP is probably the same guy who pistol whipped the Duncan Donuts clerk for giving him the wrong cup of coffee.

D.on Ep.ling

Last edited by Leon; 08-23-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
FredYoung

For what it's worth, I don't believe they can be the same card either, but either way the dealer is a cheater for sure!.

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 08-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 AM

Default 72 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

Nice job, Steve!
Funny! I agree with Steve and Jose. Not the same card. He has a 14 day return policy, ask for your money back and be done with it.

Best of luck.

Z Wheat
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
For what it's worth, I don't believe they can be the same card either, but either way the dealer is a cheater for sure!.
Mistakes happen. The seller could have accidentally pulled and shipped the wrong card. It's the responsibility of the OP to contact the seller to see if they'll make it right. If the seller refuses to take care of the buyer, then by all means blast him. But it's funny how the OP hasn't said a word since it was proven the two cards are indeed not the same, nor has he given an update to the story (did he contact the seller?).
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Wow!

Over $2.93! Really!! This level of interest, attention and emotion should be paid to anything else that matters. We (you included) do not control outcomes - do what you need to do to try to make it right by you and stop creating the extra stress for yourself! The doctor bills from the heart attack you are going to give yourself are going to be way pricier in dollars and quality of life than the stupid card. The preceding statement assumes that you are correct in every assertion you made. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Amen to that. It's THREE DOLLARS....... Get over it.