NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Default Tharp's vs. Harrington's vs. Yeungling's vs. York...

I'm pondering doing a back-run of Tharp's and Harrington's and Yeungling's and E210s and (did I miss any???)

Are they traded/sold often enough that I will FIND whomever I decide to do the run of?

I am VERY patient, but I would like to accomplish this before my friends & family throw dirt on me...

How would you rank them in order of difficulty???

Am I nuts to try???

Enough questions for now! I welcome your thoughts & opinions, as always!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Rhett Yeakley

There are also Sweetman's and W502's with blank backs and those with plays on back. Of all of them the Sweetman's are the toughest from my experience.

Also keep in mind there are two versions of the Yorks and also although less spoken about there are two versions of the Yeunglings as well.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Scott S

Sets of any of them are doable from what I've seen, without being too tough if you can be patient.

The toughest card you'll likely encounter is the Harrington's Earl Smith, which was a very short print chase card, to limit people from completing a set to redeem a prize. Like mine here, all known Smiths are all green tinted, unlike the typical black and white ones....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harringtons smith 1.jpg (75.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Yorks among the Run

As mentioned above about Yorks, there is a second series, called Type 2, (E210-2) printed actually in 1928, which replaces several of the Type 1 players from 1927.

These 1928 E210 Type 2 poses and player selection match the Harrington, Yuengling, Tharp , w502 and Sweetman sets. Because of the replacement players I mentioned, you would have to pick a player that appears in both E210-1 and E210-2 to get a true back run. Luckily, about 50 of the 60 players are in both. I can give you details on which players are different as well as which backs are different when I get home from this business trip I am slogging through. York caramels are sorta my "thing".

The Sweetmans 1928 are certainly the hardest to find *any* player from, but there are E210-2 that will elude you as well. Besides Earl Smith, you can generally find Harrington players.

If you just want a run of a single player, I might suggest Frisch, Speaker, Bob Meusel or maybe Ray Schalk. I think I have seen these players available in all those sets at one point or another but I wasn't monitoring for a run of these " similar"cards...it's just by memory mostly.

This run would be challenging but I think achievable with some patience.

I think it's a great idea! Please share your progress!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 02-14-2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Added Yuengling
Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Default MORE Questions

Thanks for the info!

Ask a question here and I am NEVER disappointed by the intelligent responses!

I think that I will consider a back-run of Tris Speaker and will need most of them right out of the box - if anyone has one that they would consider selling, please PM me!

I am NOT looking for beaters, nor am I looking for HIGH grade, either. A nice presentable VG (or better or perhaps lesser, IF it looks nice) will work.

What MIGHT I expect to pay? Say a decent E210 York Type 1 Speaker costs ~$200 - what kind of premium/multiplier would I expect to pay for Tharps vs. Harrington's vs, Sweetman's, W502, etc.? (No, I do not have a VCP subscription...)

I will keep all informed as to my likely S-L-O-W progress!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I thought we did this exercise before and a Tharp's back was the least common? I think we had a very good thread or poll about it in the past. But it was probably Sweetman's and am mistaking. From my seat of the pants it seems both Tharps and Sweetman are very close in scarcity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
There are also Sweetman's and W502's with blank backs and those with plays on back. Of all of them the Sweetman's are the toughest from my experience.

Also keep in mind there are two versions of the Yorks and also although less spoken about there are two versions of the Yeunglings as well.

Last edited by Leon; 02-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I thought we did this exercise before and a Tharp's back was the least common? I think we had a very good thread or poll about it in the past. But it was probably Sweetman's and am mistaking. From my seat of the pants it seems both Tharps and Sweetman are very close in scarcity.
Tharp's are definitely tougher than Harrington's or Yeunglings's but I would be shocked to see them being tougher than Sweetman's. I have probably owned 4-5 sweetman's while I have owned several times that of the Tharp's.

One nobody has mentioned is the super rare Griener's Bread cards. Obviously, hands down the rarest back!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was mistaking in my thinking. In some board searches all of our discussions had said it was York-2, Sweetman's, Tharp's......in that order from scarcest to less scarce. And yes, later Greiners entered the picture too....and is the toughest of the bread/bakery back series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Tharp's are definitely tougher than Harrington's or Yeunglings's but I would be shocked to see them being tougher than Sweetman's. I have probably owned 4-5 sweetman's while I have owned several times that of the Tharp's.

One nobody has mentioned is the super rare Griener's Bread cards. Obviously, hands down the rarest back!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Sweetman's are almost impossible compared to the other 3 ice cream issues. A legit Tharp Babe Ruth is tough and much tougher than a Yuengling. Kids used to skin the backs off the Yuenglings and paste a Tharp back on it to get the free gallon of ice cream.

I posted this before (somewhere), but for those who didn't see it, check this out at about the 5:30 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuYko_Odt8

Card doctors of the 1920s.

Last edited by tschock; 02-15-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: edited for content and to fit in the time allowed
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Default Pricing...

So I will be looking for Greiner’s, Sweetman’s , Tharp’s (2 variations), Harrington’s (2 variations), Yeungling’s (2 variations), York (Type 1 & Type 2), and W502 (4 different backs).

Did I miss anything?!?!?! That’s 14 different cards, assuming that they all exist!

Anyone care to opine on price rations?

For example, if a York Type 1 costs X dollars, how many times X might I expect to pay for a York Type 2 or a Tharp’s or a Sweetman’s, etc….

{I’m hoping that you guys are having as much fun spending my money as I eventually hope to have!}

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I don't mean to be "that guy" but it drives me nuts to see so many posters write "Yeungling." The company is the oldest brewery in America; it is spelled "Yuengling."

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-16-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I don't mean to be "that guy" but it drives me nuts to see so many posters write "Yeungling." The company is the oldest brewery in America; it is spelled "Yuengling."
i APPRECIATE the correction!!!

My last name was ALWAYS spelled incorrectly, and I HATED that!!!! I vow to never spell Yuengling incorrectly EVER again - at least I will try!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Would this be the variation for Harrington's front and back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg some favorites 001 (2).jpg (64.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg auction.jpg (57.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth 001.jpg (63.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 4880b_lg.jpg (20.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Would this be the variation for Harrington's front and back
I believe those are them. Very nice! *and undervalued if you ask me.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Start running!

Greg...
There is a nice Speaker from 1928 Harrington's on BST today if you want to start your run

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Sweetman's are almost impossible compared to the other 3 ice cream issues. A legit Tharp Babe Ruth is tough and much tougher than a Yuengling. Kids used to skin the backs off the Yuenglings and paste a Tharp back on it to get the free gallon of ice cream.

I posted this before (somewhere), but for those who didn't see it, check this out at about the 5:30 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuYko_Odt8

Card doctors of the 1920s.
I'm not sure I believe this about the Tharp Babe Ruth, or maybe I just do not fully understand it. I would agree that Sweetman's is the toughest of the ice cream issues, or it was when I collected these years ago. I also see where the scans posted of the back variations for Harrington's in this thread are not listed on Old Cardboard, and are different from those referenced by Rhett for Yuengling earlier.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-20-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Greg...
There is a nice Speaker from 1928 Harrington's on BST today if you want to start your run
Thanks, Brian!

I was a tad slow on the draw and missed out!