NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Sat out Alameda last Sunday...still managed to get in trouble...

photo 1903 Yale Trophy Rudder_zpslbffqjdn.jpg

I had to work last Sunday so sat out the Alameda Point show...So I was feeling pretty good about it...didn't spend any money...and wham...I spot this 1903 Yale Crew Team trophy rudder on eBay...darn it...But I just unpacked it this afternoon and I'm very happy I got it...

I was half dead when I found it...about to hit the hay...so zonked couldn't focus so tired from work...It had a BIN that wasn't out of the question...with best offer option...that and how great it was made me nervous to wait till the morning to at least make an offer before turning in...but trying to research it half dead was impossible...but on the other hand I wasn't going to get involved unless I could find some historical references on it first...So I let go and went to bed...Naturally first thing I did when I got up was see if it was still up...yes still there...fiddled around for couple hours looking at this and that...found Muzzy ok...it was only the freshman eight...Would much prefer it was from a varsity race...Nevertheless...first of all I think it's the only American trophy rudder I've ever seen...or at least recall...I've seen a few decorated rudders....but not many...and they're always bloody English...So to find an American one is very rare...

I did find that this race between the freshman of Yale and Columbia was a yearly tradition at Lake Whitney in the early 20th century...Lake Whitney was about four miles from New Haven...The coxswain referenced on the rudder H.T. Muzzy remains to be researched further...doesn't appear to have gone on to cox a varsity eight at Yale...Apparently there may have been something special about the race to warrant this trophy...to the cox only...not the whole team...As for the actual rudder used for the trophy...may have come off another boat than the one in the race...I can't imagine raiding parts off their boat for a trophy...I don't know anything about boat rudders but the decorated ones I've seen on line are a little taller...Maybe they got one from a boat repair shop off a dingy...Then again it's possible they actually confiscated this one off the shell they raced then replaced it...All I know for sure is I found documentation the race did take place on Saturday May 16th...and Muzzy was the coxswain for the freshman eight in 1903...and the rudder is definitely old from the period...

I thought it was interesting the freshman and varsity crews almost got in a fight the day of the race with striking teamsters for unloading the boat off the train...and two policemen had to ride on the truck along with fifty students to protect the boat from getting smashed by the strikers...all while getting pelted by decayed vegetables and coal...see the newspaper clipping at the bottom...Maybe that was somehow related to this trophy?!?...

photo 20171005_154806_zpsiqtdpvqw.jpg

photo close1_zps01xvxldq.png

photo 20171005_155239_zpsnzq3tcv9.jpg

photo 20171005_155257_zpsqheuzxu8.jpg

photo 03 fresh race_zpsfcpgtd0v.png

photo aa1_zpsfzxcdwpi.png
 photo aa2_zpsxg8ixrjf.png
 photo aa3_zpsk3mvhilb.png
 photo aa4_zpsigqrrsgz.png

photo Yale Strike Busters_zpsnhkfxcpb.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-06-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Carlton, you’re not supposed to buy anything when you’re tired (just kidding, great piece)

Congrats!!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Knowledge

I sent my friend Tom Weil a link to this thread...Tom is the go-to guy for info on rowing stuff...below is his reply...Very interesting to learn it was tradition for coxwains to get a trophy rudder...as opposed to oarsmen getting a trophy oar...

Carlton -
Very nice bit of memorabilia, and it looks genuine.

The size: Rudders cause drag. The older ones were higher. As time passed, while higher ones weren’t immediately abandoned, lower ones were introduced. Today’s rudders are metal or plastic pieces about the size of playing cards and attached under the hull.

The practice, when “boat parts” awards were made, was to give decorated - or, as the Brits would say, “illuminated” - oars to the victorious oarsmen, and rudders to the coxswains (I have a couple of awarded bow balls as well, but that was much less common). It is somewhat interesting, but not at all unprecedented, that this was done for a lesser (Yale vs Columbia freshmen) race than what was the standard annual biggie - Yale vs Harvard. In a time when hundreds might turn out for crew when the year started, there were many shells and oars about the boathouse, and to find spares to tart up and give away was no big deal. Also, in that era there might only be three races - total! - in a year, so each one was a little more special, and perhaps there was some such sentiment attached to this one. These guys won their freshman Harvard race as well, so perhaps Mr. Muzzy had two to hang in his office or study. BTW, I can confirm that he did not participate in any Harvard race later in his time at Yale, and one might well conclude that, whether or not he was part of a very active intramural crew scene, he was not involved at the varsity level.

Best, Tom

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Rob

I was captain of my high school crew team...also in Connecticut. Very cool find.

Rob
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Default more recent rowing

photo Oxf vs Camb BR_zpsyoodpgp5.jpg

Just unpacked this...my $10.00 only bidder ebay puchase...In 30 years collecting I've never come across this small version...I have an enquiry in to learn if it's something from the 1920's or so...or 19th century...

photo 20171024_163211_zpsxe3eycax.jpg

Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

but is it real?

or fantasy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1903-O...p2047675.l2557
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Rob

Delete.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 10-26-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

That must be the one Carlton bought on ebay. While the photo shows the back of a truck and he mentions Alemeda he did say he sat it out and hit EBay.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 AM

Default and another

photo Cornell Calander_zpsxsrdmwry.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Elle...hrome&ie=UTF-8
And another ebay rowing bargain I just got haven't even opened...14.95 free shipping...obviously needs restored but nice size...the illustrator Ellen Clapsaddle is suppose to be a big deal...

photo s-l1600 4_zpsv5ua3vhy.jpg

Old 10-26-2017, 04:48 PM
qualitycards

Carlton, always love reading about your pickups