NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Houston didn't get your memo Jake, about the irrelevance or the third, fourth and fifth starters in the postseason. Morton and McCullers looked pretty good, eh?

PURVEYOR OF NUMEROLOGICAL INSIGHT ON NET54

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Update your MN today. Don't risk the consequences.

Over*600* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 229 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.

Are you a T206 Insider?

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
It todays era of baseball..if you can put up 2 runs or less in 6 innings in the playoffs and worlds series as a starting pitcher in every start you are worth a 100 million dollar contract. How many starting pitchers this year went 6 innings in a start..and how many of those gave up 2 earned or less. both are hard on their own. Nobody can slight a guy for not going more than 6 innings in the playoffs anymore. Its about as silly as saying a closer sucks now cause he doesn't pitch 3 innings like the old days..
Justin Verlander did it all 3 starts and came out of the bullpen in between to get another win. 4-0 1.46 ERA.
Old Today, 06:32 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
No. I was correct. 20ABs + 4BBs = 24PAs.

...and I don't mean to 'pile on' Judge, it's just the state of the game...

...and I also realized that Bryant was almost as bad.

Speaking of the state of the game: I wonder how many organizations will have their pitching instructors stressing curveballs this off-season.

Before the slider came into prominence, the curveball was what separated the AAA hitters from those who got to the Majors.

If enough pitchers develop their curveballs, it could be the bane of 'pinball' baseball.

One of the great things about this GAME is that these hitter-v-pitcher adjustments happen again and again over time.

A happy medium is the way I prefer it...an occasional slugfest and an occasional shutout.

I don't want 1968 again, but let's bring back the deuice ,the yakkers, the double-yellow hammers...the Uncle Charlies to even out the board a little.
Clayton Kershaw is generally recognized as having one of, if not the best curveballs in the game. in an injury shortened season he gave up by FAR the most home runs of his career this year. Not sure if it's this simple.
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Old Today, 07:15 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Justin Verlander did it all 3 starts and came out of the bullpen in between to get another win. 4-0 1.46 ERA.
and verlander has been the #1 pitcher in the playoffs and deserving of a 100 million dollar contract and being that good has got his team to the world series. How many others?

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; Today at 07:16 AM.
Old Today, 07:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Houston didn't get your memo Jake, about the irrelevance or the third, fourth and fifth starters in the postseason. Morton and McCullers looked pretty good, eh?
and Verlander has been the best #1 pitcher in the playoffs. Nothing is so basic obviously. But again the Astros were a huge favorite considering their regular season and adding verlander but i thought you said regular season means nothing. Plus the comment about #3-#6 starters meaning very little was due the 'whats the deal with the dodgers thread' and their late 'losing' streak which meant nothing to me.

Now the dodgers i believe are an underdog in the world series or at least not a clear favorite....we will see how they do in the final test....but just getting to the world series was big for them with the Cubs/Nationals also in NL.'

Plus its always harder being the guy with predictions then the guy that just says 'everything is random' or going with clear favorites.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; Today at 07:21 AM.
Old Today, 07:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
and Verlander has been the best #1 pitcher in the playoffs. Nothing is so basic obviously. But again the Astros were a huge favorite considering their regular season and adding verlander but i thought you said regular season means nothing. Plus the comment about #3-#6 starters meaning very little was due the 'whats the deal with the dodgers thread' and their late 'losing' streak which meant nothing to me.

Now the dodgers i believe are an underdog in the world series or at least not a clear favorite....we will see how they do in the final test....but just getting to the world series was big for them with the Cubs/Nationals also in NL.'

Plus its always harder being the guy with predictions then the guy that just says 'everything is random' or going with clear favorites.
Aah, so if your ace is Kershaw, #3, 4 & 5 don’t matter, but if your ace is Verlander, they do matter. ........ Got it.

Clarity is often the result of a retrospective analysis of the games “played”. The rear view mirror doesn’t predict where the car will end up. Enjoy the series. I’ll buy you a drink if either of your favorites wins.

Final thought: Isn’t it ironic that both cities, Los Angeles and Houston, have been the victims of their own “Hurricane Harveys” this year?

PURVEYOR OF NUMEROLOGICAL INSIGHT ON NET54

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Update your MN today. Don't risk the consequences.

Over*600* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 229 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.

Are you a T206 Insider?

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data.

Last edited by frankbmd; Today at 08:47 AM.
Old Today, 08:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Two very good teams in the WS. Will be great baseball but the ratings will no doubt be off. Houston is largely unknown to most casual fans. Yankees had a good run. To all their fans saying we will set for years to come and will be back repeatedly I say say hello to the 2015 Mets. Nothing guaranteed. One of their sluggers goes down in May for the year and a few of their other guys under achieve and they will be struggling to make the playoffs.
Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quote:
and verlander has been the #1 pitcher in the playoffs and deserving of a 100 million dollar contract and being that good has got his team to the world series. How many others?
So Verlander is better than Kershaw? How about Kluber with his postseason performance last year? Bumgarner? Ect. Postseason games are really the only ones that count. Regular season performance is worthless if you choke when a championship is on the line. The game is played to win championships for the team, not to accumulate regular seasons stats for the player.
Old Today, 11:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Both sure picked a good time to have their best stuff. Proof of the maxim that good pitching beats good hitting, I guess.