NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Default 1952 Christmas Rack Pack with Mantle

I know all about these Christmas rack packs but have never seen a 52 Christmas Rack Pack with Mantle showing. Ebay seller is reputable but had this up last week and auction ended at $20K . Next day its back up for $24K Rack pack looks authentic down to the staples. Concerned about seal on bottom and fact that Mantle is on bottom of hanging pack instead of middle or top. Thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-C...53.m1438.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (85.5 KB, 1042 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (83.5 KB, 1043 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Seems too good to be true. I’ve never seen 52’s before either but I’ve never got into the Xmas packs.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Can you please educate me about these? Also why would someone sell this on eBay vs an auction house, if it was authentic?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Can you please educate me about these? Also why would someone sell this on eBay vs an auction house, if it was authentic?
PSA and SGC will not grade these rack packs. I tried to ask the seller a few questions but he banned me from asking questions or bidding. He had a 7 day return policy on other ad but current ad has ZERO return policy. Seems rather stupid if you return an untouched pack.

He sold 2 other 52 Christmas rack packs from same consignor which buyers are pleased with.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Is this the same guy? I've asked similar questions on here about these rack packs and was informed by some very knowledgeable collectors that these are fakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3m0P4TbN8
Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Aaron

Definitely stay away from these. They are too easily fabricated.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahmejoon View Post
Definitely stay away from these. They are too easily fabricated.
Big fan of Mantle and Lahmajoon !!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM

That mantle is 100% fake, colour is off
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Is this the same guy? I've asked similar questions on here about these rack packs and was informed by some very knowledgeable collectors that these are fakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3m0P4TbN8
So that guy is hilarious - Claims to "Love" 52 Topps but doesnt seem to have a clue on some the player names?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbaggypants View Post
That mantle is 100% fake, colour is off
+lots
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Deron Manndel

I was following this listing all last week. I came across it when it was an auction with an opening bid of $3,500 and no bids. I exchanged a few messages with the seller and he answered all my questions with no problem, but it started sounding like a scam when he said he had the pack on consignment from an "elderly gentleman" and he explained his "7 day return policy." I was already skeptical knowing that these Christmas rack packs are commonly tampered with and once I received confirmation that the Mantle is 100% fake, I definitely wasn't going to bid, but kept watching. The seller then jacked up the opening bid to $15,000 and I saw it "sold" for $20,000. So now it's relisted for even more? Total scam.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_43 View Post
I was following this listing all last week. I came across it when it was an auction with an opening bid of $3,500 and no bids. I exchanged a few messages with the seller and he answered all my questions with no problem, but it started sounding like a scam when he said he had the pack on consignment from an "elderly gentleman" and he explained his "7 day return policy." I was already skeptical knowing that these Christmas rack packs are commonly tampered with and once I received confirmation that the Mantle is 100% fake, I definitely wasn't going to bid, but kept watching. The seller then jacked up the opening bid to $15,000 and I saw it "sold" for $20,000. So now it's relisted for even more? Total scam.
How did you confirm that the Mantle card was fake ? I loved his 5% or 10% "restocking charge"
Give me a break !!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 AM
James
James Kin.chen

This is the same seller that is selling 1986 Fleer basketball packs graded by Atlas Grading Company for $350-400.
James
Old 10-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Michael Duran

It's a very appealing pack specially with the Mickey Mantle that mantle Definitely looks trimmed hopefully it's real.

Last edited by Reggiejackson563; 10-13-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkcpa View Post
How did you confirm that the Mantle card was fake ? I loved his 5% or 10% "restocking charge"
Give me a break !!
If it is returned, he needs to put it back into his kids Christmas Stocking...
Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

"I tried to ask the seller a few questions but he banned me from asking questions or bidding."

Banned for asking questions? That's like putting up a bat signal saying "this is fake".
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have heard these are/were repacks. I would think it unlikely there would be both white and gray backs. It seems way too good to be true.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
"I tried to ask the seller a few questions but he banned me from asking questions or bidding."

Banned for asking questions? That's like putting up a bat signal saying "this is fake".
He banned me to because I asked a question about the bottom of the package. Seller is a total AH
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post

Quote:
He banned me to because I asked a question about the bottom of the package. Seller is a total AH
Great way to build a customer base!

Not this guy, but I was threatened with harassment charges for telling a guy he needed bigger pictures of his posted cards. It was easy to see he wasn't cropping them, which, of course, made them harder to see. I tried explaining to him how to go about it, but quickly realized he was intentionally doing it on purpose in order to hide the defects.
It takes all kinds, and all kinds walk among us everyday, unfortunately!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Howard Chasser

Default interesting strategy

Unknowing buyer would have to open pack to send in and find out card is a fake. If they bought it thinking it was real, they would likely never open it and find out
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

I wrote the seller last night asking him some less than desirable questions about these packs and cards but received no reply as of yet.

As far as I know, I am not blocked/banned, but I will say I am disappointed to see he doesn't ship to Canada.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I have heard these are/were repacks. I would think it unlikely there would be both white and gray backs. It seems way too good to be true.
Yea ive heard the real Christmas packs were put together a few years after the original release by a company other than Topps. But there are so many fakes out there it's best to stay away.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:55 AM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
I wrote the seller last night asking him some less than desirable questions about these packs and cards but received no reply as of yet.

As far as I know, I am not blocked/banned, but I will say I am disappointed to see he doesn't ship to Canada.
Try and ask him another question. My guess is you have been BLOCKED
Let me know
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Try and ask him another question. My guess is you have been BLOCKED
Let me know
"Message sent" so I am not blocked yet. I just finished asking him if he had any reply/answers to my questions.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Seller

The rack with the bad Mantle has been bouncing around, someone attempted to sell to my friend who owns Mt. Penn Sportscards in Pa. Please avoid the fantasy Christmas packs.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-13-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 AM

If he thought Mantle was real, he would be better off opening pack and getting it graded.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

4 user ID's in 4 years.. newest one not even a month old...
Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Deron Manndel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
The rack with the bad Mantle has been bouncing around, someone attempted to sell to my friend who owns Mt. Penn Sportscards in Pa. Please avoid the fantasy Christmas packs.
That was me. I came across the auction and forwarded it to Tony at Mt. Penn Sports Cards, who I have known for several years now, to get his thoughts on the pack, not to try and sell it to him. He sent the pictures to either you or your son and someone else unrelated to you guys, and you all quickly told Tony that the Mantle was 100% fake and that is when I decided I was not going to bid... and then the starting price went up to $15K anyway. Just wanted to clarify that no one was trying to sell the pack to Mt. Penn Sports Cards and this pack really has not been bouncing around, it was just me asking Tony what he thought and he deferred to you .

Last edited by braves_43; 10-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
4 user ID's in 4 years.. newest one not even a month old...
Nice pick up. Never bothered to check that. I guess that says a lot
Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Glyn Parson

Default just for the record

I am the son. My dad is not completely ignorant about cards but he would ask me what i thought. thanks for clarifying, Tony was a little vague on the text he sent me.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Larry More.y

Looks like Vickey must have a stack of fake 52 Mantle's laying around her place in Harford CT....I believe she is the same seller offering this fine fake specimen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-M...p2047675.l2557

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245231

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 10-13-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Al Richter

I think Mark Murphy was the first, or one of the first to sell these, and advertised them in SCD. He said they were restocked Topps cards repackaged by a 3d party and sold in retail stores. But he did not or could not name the retail stores or the 3d party packager, and the dates that the packaging supposedly took place have varied ( 60s, 70s, 80s).

There has also been disputes about which Topps issues were initially involved. I think Murphy originally sold 54-63. Later, earlier and subsequent years appeared. Even if his story is true, there is no doubt someone else is continuing the process.

Some people claim to be able to tell the "originals" from the later productions looking at staples and the configurations of the packaging. The folks claiming this are usually selling them.

Here is some correspondence I had with Murphy and his partner about them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Why on earth are ANY of you even remotely entertaining the idea that this eBay pack is real?

The Murphy find is really well documented esp on CU and can be found easily with a google search.

But any Xmas pacs on eBay are 100% fake. No point in checking packaging, staples, anything. The research has been done and all of its fake.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Al Richter

Wow. Thanks, close call. Saved by the bell.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfanjohn View Post
Why on earth are ANY of you even remotely entertaining the idea that this eBay pack is real?

The Murphy find is really well documented esp on CU and can be found easily with a google search.

But any Xmas pacs on eBay are 100% fake. No point in checking packaging, staples, anything. The research has been done and all of its fake.
I have no interest in these but my Google search suggests that there is still some difference in opinion as to whether some of these actually contain some legitimate cards. This is from an interview Rich Mueller did a few years back. Not encouraging people to buy these, but I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you suggest. I confess I didn't spend hours researching this, but this is what I quickly found from a legitimate informed publication.

Explain the “Christmas rack packs”—where did they come from, are any of them legitimate and what’s usually inside?

Another tough subject! These Christmas racks were not produced by Topps. That is first and foremost. All of these Christmas racks are not issued by Topps in any way in any type of Topps closeout. They have been produced by a third party and then retailed in stores. Most likely in dime stores around the country in the 60’s and 70’s.

The cards are usually in EX to EX-MT condition at best. That leads me to believe that Topps did not even supply the cards for these! Had Topps supplied the cards, they would still most likely have been a little bit cleaner and sharper than the cards that are in these packs. I also see Christmas racks now that are being produced today.

Most advanced pack collectors will tell you that these packs are not legitimate items since Topps didn’t produce them. I will never authenticate one as being real for this same reason.

However–this is not to say that the racks have no value. The cards in the packs are still legitimate Topps cards. I have seen many racks with many major stars right on top. If a Christmas rack has a Sandy Koufax RC showing on top in EX-MT condition, well then, it still obviously is worth whatever that card is worth to you! A 1962 Topps Christmas rack may have zero value as a legit, Topps issued unopened rack pack, but still holds some value for the cards it is holding within.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-16-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

It is funny how collectors keep going to the stinky well. Nobody is going to give good deals on rack packs value wise. Otherwise they would of just broken them up.

I can declare right now that i am taking random 1952 cards and making 'rack packs' and i can put in a mid grade andy pafko on the front in full view and a mid grade high number in full view and the rest commons that are in view.

Then i can declare i need funds for medication or taxes or whatever and there are 'mystery 1952 cards' inside. (they could be low number or high numbers or just regular commons but no mantle of course)... and 100% real or money back

and magically people will pay more than what a mid grade pafko and the mid grade high number would go for plus the 5-10$ a standard mid grade common would go for in the bidding and i just made money.. will be a sucker every time.

of course when someone buys it..they may re-sell it and give some additional story and say they were packed in the 70s when high numbers were not that sought after etc so it could have more them as well...plus it does have a Pafko..so who knows what other great cards are there? Maybe theres a baritrome in there now?

There would also be many net54 threads about whether its a good buy from that new seller....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-16-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Al Richter

Steve-- as noted above I tried to delve into these some to see if there was notable difference in what one could find in the "original" Murphy pack "find" and the current ongoing productions. Some folks say you tell the originals by staple or packaging type, but usually those are folks selling them.

I think the origin of these is an interesting hobby story but I have never been able to confirm that the originals were actually packaged back in the 60s and 70s as some claim ( which would make it more likely unseen cards might have some values, albeit in non mint condition) . But they showed up in 2001, where were they before that ? Murphy said he bought them through a 3d party he would not name, that they were repackaged by a 3d party he would not or could not name, and sold at retail at stores no one can recall.

If someone has first hand knowledge of these actually being sold in retail stores back in the day, I would love to hear about it. My interest in them is not about value but their actual origin
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Steve-- as noted above I tried to delve into these some to see if there was notable difference in what one could find in the "original" Murphy pack "find" and the current ongoing productions. Some folks say you tell the originals by staple or packaging type, but usually those are folks selling them.

I think the origin of these is an interesting hobby story but I have never been able to confirm that the originals were actually packaged back in the 60s and 70s as some claim ( which would make it more likely unseen cards might have some values, albeit in non mint condition) . But they showed up in 2001, where were they before that ? Murphy said he bought them through a 3d party he would not name, that they were repackaged by a 3d party he would not or could not name, and sold at retail at stores no one can recall.

If someone has first hand knowledge of these actually being sold in retail stores back in the day, I would love to hear about it. My interest in them is not about value but their actual origin
I remember buying some Xmas packs that look like the ones in this thread back in the late 80's, can't remember exact year. I also can't remember what year cards they held. I do remember buying them at Kmart. About a year ago I found one of those old empty Xmas packs that still had the Kmart price sticker on it. Unfortunately I burned it along with over 100K junk era cards.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Al Richter

Thanks Ben. ...for burning the evidence

Do you remember if it was late or early 80s and what city ?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I remember buying some Xmas packs that look like the ones in this thread back in the late 80's, can't remember exact year. I also can't remember what year cards they held. I do remember buying them at Kmart. About a year ago I found one of those old empty Xmas packs that still had the Kmart price sticker on it. Unfortunately I burned it along with over 100K junk era cards.
I recall going to the Kmart in Peoria, Illinois in the summer, in the late 70's I would assume, and they had a big table by the checkouts with some sort of packaging similar to these Christmas packs of all sorts of Topps cards. I bought a handful for probably 25 cents or something, and opened them. Most were 75 Topps, I got a Gibson record breaker, and they also contained some football cards and non sports cards.

Last edited by David W; 10-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
I recall going to the Kmart in Peoria, Illinois in the summer, in the late 70's I would assume, and they had a big table by the checkouts with some sort of packaging similar to these Christmas packs of all sorts of Topps cards. I bought a handful for probably 25 cents or something, and opened them. Most were 75 Topps, I got a Gibson record breaker, and they also contained some football cards and non sports cards.
We had those here in the late 80's but they did not have the Xmas packaging. They did have them on tables lined up right before you went through the check out lanes. When they did not have tons of them for sale there was one display in the check out isle beside the customer service desk.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
I know all about these Christmas rack packs but have never seen a 52 Christmas Rack Pack with Mantle showing. Ebay seller is reputable but had this up last week and auction ended at $20K . Next day its back up for $24K Rack pack looks authentic down to the staples. Concerned about seal on bottom and fact that Mantle is on bottom of hanging pack instead of middle or top. Thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-C...53.m1438.l2649
Well someone bought it from this miserable AH of a seller. No wonder he's changed his Ebay handle 4 times
Old 10-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Well someone bought it from this miserable AH of a seller. No wonder he's changed his Ebay handle 4 times
An offer was accepted at $15,200.......the Rizzuto and Spahn are likely as fake as the Mantle. If the other 9 cards are legit, it works out to be $1688.88 per common.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

So is the consensus that even the Mark Murphy ones are not legit either?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Al Richter

Tim-- if by legit you mean the Murphy packs were put together in the 60s, 70s or even early 80s by someone who then tried to sell them in retail stores at Christmas time in some unspecified time frame, there is no hard or conclusive evidence that I know of to confirm that. Nor is it clear whether whoever is churning them out today is different from the original source. But there are some, usually people claiming to sell or resell the Murphy "originals", that claim the older packs are more likely to be "legit" in that they are more likely to contain star cards in the middle because of being packaged at a time the cards were less valuable. But no one claims they were packaged by Topps and all seem to agree the cards are second hand returns or handled stock in Ex condition at best.

There are sellers who claim that by examining the staples and configuration of the packaging you can tell the old from the new packs. That maybe true but I am not CSI enough to verify that.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Bill Gregory

For $24k, he should walk the card up to Canada!

Quote:

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
For $24k, he should walk the card up to Canada!
I agree!

Searching this site again, I seen some more info on these rack packs.
http://www.1952toppsbaseballcards.co...ckPackPage.htm

Anyone know who Robert Haimer is?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Chris

The scary part about this all is the buyer isn't going to learn it's fake, if ever, until he opens the package and sends in the Mantle for grading, at which point good luck returning it.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
The scary part about this all is the buyer isn't going to learn it's fake, if ever, until he opens the package and sends in the Mantle for grading, at which point good luck returning it.
assuming money changed hands..
Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place. I'm not excusing the fraudster but there has to be an element of accountability on the part of the buyer. This is the eBay equivalent of an email from a Nigerian prince. Before plunking down that kind of money I'd do my homework because a quick search online would establish what a scam this is likely to be.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.