NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued 1932-34 PR2 Orbit Gum Pins (Numberred Series) **New Variations**

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I know that most on this forum don't care too much about pinbacks, but I thought these Uncatalogued Variations should be shared at some point.

There are 3 well-known variations in the 1932-34 PR2 Orbit Gum Pins (Numberred) series. Those being on #31 Lefty O'Doul, #32 Woody English, and #33 Billy Jurges. O'Doul can be found initially with the Brooklyn Dodgers and later was produced with the New York Giants (contrary to what the SCD Catalog says I have found the Brooklyn version to be tougher). The English and Jurges variations have to do with whether a bat is included in the photo (see English below).

The new additions top the known variations are not as extreme as a team change or the addition or subtraction of a bat, they are nonetheless significantly different in the colors used on the pin as well as the facial detail. They envolve #16 Guy Bush, #22 Phil Collins, & #27 Dale Alexander. Please photos below...

#16 Guy Bush

#22 Phil Collins

#27 Dale Alexander

The pins with the "more pale" facial complexion are the tougher versions of these pins (just like the "no bat" English pictured earlier. As cane be seen in the scans the paler faces also have MUCH more facial detail and are not due to merely missing a color pass when produced.

There are likely other similar variations within this set, but thought others might be interested in this, especially those trying to complete a set (or those that have already done so).

-Rhett

Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued 1932-34 PR2 Orbit Gum Pins (Numberred Series) **New Variations**

Posted By: leon

You certainly have a knack for finding these peculiar oddities. Nice work....and btw, I have sent you 2 emails about a card we talked about (only in the last day)...and am not sure you are getting them....or you are just ignoring me? That's ok...everyone else does too.....

Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Schwarz

Rhett, I examined my pins with great anticipation about the variations. As you know, I am getting close to finishing the unnumbered set and noticed that the unnumbered Alexander, Bush, and Collins are all the "pale face" variations. What significance, if any, do you have in this?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Dick

I have been collecting the numbered Orbit pins for quite a while. There are a total of 12 variations. There are the 3 common ones, #'s 31, 32, & 33. The other 9 are #15 Bartell, #16 Bush, #20 Fonseca, #21 Martin, #22 Collins, #26 Grimes, #27 Alexander, #35 Vosmik and #38 Earnshaw for a total of 66 pins.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Schwarz

For the other 9 pins you have listed, are the variations similar to what Mr. Yeakley describes or are they different? Are they the "pale" versions or what?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter

Hi Rhett - saw your post on the orbit pins - Have you been getting the emails I have sent you? Thanks - Peter