NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Default Hello from a new guy

I've been reading many of the forum posts for several months and enjoying them immensely. The knowledge contained among this group's members is stunning, and I can't describe how much I've learned. Kudos to all.

Quck(ish) background: I began collecting by buying packs of Topps as an 8-year-old in 1969. In 1971, I discovered ads near the back of The Sporting News selling vintage cards and bought many from various sets amazed that a 10-year-old kid could affordably own something more than 60 years old or of players I only knew about because of The Baseball Encyclopedia. I dabbled at really vintage stuff while working on completing Topps sets. I helped organize the first card shows in St. Louis in the mid-1970s and was a subscriber of Sports Collectors Digest from the very beginning (along with other newsletters that came and went). I ended up with complete sets from 1964-1985 before I took a long hiatus (raising kids and working too much). I returned in earnest a few years ago and now am focusing on The Monster (I have about 35), 1955-63 and upgrading some 1970s Topps (replacing those I have that are miscuts).

I have met some amazing people through collecting -- Rick Salamon, Jim Hickerson, Fred Roenig, Ken Kellar, the legendary Buck Barker -- who all treated me very well when I was just a kid hanging out with adults passionate about the hobby. I hope to meet many more such folks.

As a footnote: I realized a childhood dream when in 1984 I became the youngest writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and worked there until health forced me to leave in 2002. I covered high school sports, St. Louis University men's basketball and then the Cardinals/MLB for 10 years. I was the primary chronicler of everything McGwire in 1998-99.

And there is this: https://www.amazon.com/Cardinals-Enc...s=books&sr=1-2

I am honored to be a member of this group.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Rob

You met Buck Barker? That's awesome! Have fun.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hi Mike-welcome to the group. I too am impressed that you knew Buck Barker, one of the true hobby greats.

Jay
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM
Doug D

Welcome I started collecting around the same time but never had the foresight to Buy complete sets. Usually I stopped buying after the first two series.

Last edited by Elderwood17; 08-25-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Welcome to the group. Always nice to see collectors chasing the "Monster".

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post
I've been reading many of the forum posts for several months and enjoying them immensely. The knowledge contained among this group's members is stunning, and I can't describe how much I've learned. Kudos to all.

Quck(ish) background: I began collecting by buying packs of Topps as an 8-year-old in 1969. In 1971, I discovered ads near the back of The Sporting News selling vintage cards and bought many from various sets amazed that a 10-year-old kid could affordably own something more than 60 years old or of players I only knew about because of The Baseball Encyclopedia. I dabbled at really vintage stuff while working on completing Topps sets. I helped organize the first card shows in St. Louis in the mid-1970s and was a subscriber of Sports Collectors Digest from the very beginning (along with other newsletters that came and went). I ended up with complete sets from 1964-1985 before I took a long hiatus (raising kids and working too much). I returned in earnest a few years ago and now am focusing on The Monster (I have about 35), 1955-63 and upgrading some 1970s Topps (replacing those I have that are miscuts).

I have met some amazing people through collecting -- Rick Salamon, Jim Hickerson, Fred Roenig, Ken Kellar, the legendary Buck Barker -- who all treated me very well when I was just a kid hanging out with adults passionate about the hobby. I hope to meet many more such folks.

As a footnote: I realized a childhood dream when in 1984 I became the youngest writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and worked there until health forced me to leave in 2002. I covered high school sports, St. Louis University men's basketball and then the Cardinals/MLB for 10 years. I was the primary chronicler of everything McGwire in 1998-99.

Greetings Mike! I, too, got started on vintage at a very young age buying cards through the Sporting News: I remember sending my hard-won dollars to the Card Collectors' Company, Jack Smalling, etc. to get T206's of famous players. Since those early days, you've had an amazing baseball life! You are a genuine authority on the Redbirds. I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the party, Mike. Beer and soft drinks are in the fridge and make yourself at home. Happy collecting. BTW< I have lots of periodicals, letters and other ephemera from Buck and his other early collector friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post

Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Barry Sloate

I remember flying to St. Louis around late 1980's to buy a nice collection of Old Judges from Rick Saloman. Recall he was very friendly and easy to deal with.
Welcome to Net54.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Welcome to the party, Mike. Beer and soft drinks are in the fridge and make yourself at home. Happy collecting. BTW< I have lots of periodicals, letters and other ephemera from Buck and his other early collector friends.

Leon I love that letter from Buck Barker---so cool, all the notes, love to see more. Don
Old 08-26-2019, 08:43 AM
David Kathman

Here's another Buck Barker letter, to fellow hobby pioneer Jake Wise, on the back of an exhibit card:

And here's Lionel Carter's obituary of Barker and Bob Jasperson, which I originally posted here at the link below.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219926

Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Welcome aboard. And here are some other pieces of Buck Barker ephemera...his back of card 'notepads' when he researched ballplayers at The Sporting News.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckszees184 (797x1024).jpg (75.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 03:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Welcome. Wax up your board and surf the cardboard waves!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Default Welcome to the ship !

Hello Mike . From 1 Missouri guy to another , glad to see you come on board ! Good luck in your dealings on here .....Rob ,
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Hello Mike and welcome. I sure remember your name and its nice to hear names like Buck Barker (who also treated me well as a kid), Jim Hickerson, Fred Roniger and the others. St. Louis was always a hotbed for baseball cards, and the mid 1970s I recall fondly with shows in Edwardsville, IL and the Holidome in Bridgeton. Good to hear from you. Randy Trierweiler
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Hi, Mike. We probably bumped into to each other at some of those early St. Louis Cards meetings across the river. Loved hearing all of those old collector names that you mentioned. The name Fred Roninger brought back a cool memory. He had some old wrestling Exhibit cards. It was the first time I ever saw any. He could tell that I was jazzed about them and said, "If you like those, take 'em." He had no idea that he created a monster that day.

I remember the first time I saw Buck Barker at one of those meetings. I thought the pope himself had just walked in! Everything stopped! He brought a box of cards and everyone wanted be first to see them. He didn't seem to mind the attention. People were simultaneously reaching into the box, "How much for this one, Buck?'' "Four bucks!" The customer gladly paid and Buck stuffed the four frogs over the top button of his dress shirt!

Mike, I clearly remember your byline on many articles in the Post-Dispatch. Welcome to Net54baseball. It is awesome!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Welcome to the boards!

Hi Mike. Howard Chasser - resident Clemente fan and other odd things here. Look forward to hearing more about you.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:41 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Hello Mike and welcome. I sure remember your name and its nice to hear names like Buck Barker (who also treated me well as a kid), Jim Hickerson, Fred Roniger and the others. St. Louis was always a hotbed for baseball cards, and the mid 1970s I recall fondly with shows in Edwardsville, IL and the Holidome in Bridgeton. Good to hear from you. Randy Trierweiler
Great memories!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Hi, Mike. We probably bumped into to each other at some of those early St. Louis Cards meetings across the river. Loved hearing all of those old collector names that you mentioned. The name Fred Roninger brought back a cool memory. He had some old wrestling Exhibit cards. It was the first time I ever saw any. He could tell that I was jazzed about them and said, "If you like those, take 'em." He had no idea that he created a monster that day.

I remember the first time I saw Buck Barker at one of those meetings. I thought the pope himself had just walked in! Everything stopped! He brought a box of cards and everyone wanted be first to see them. He didn't seem to mind the attention. People were simultaneously reaching into the box, "How much for this one, Buck?'' "Four bucks!" The customer gladly paid and Buck stuffed the four frogs over the top button of his dress shirt!

Mike, I clearly remember your byline on many articles in the Post-Dispatch. Welcome to Net54baseball. It is awesome!
I remember the same about Mr. Barker. It was at the first-ever St. Louis Cards show at Stan Musial's hotel by the airport. He walked in and everything stopped, with all the room's attention turned to him. I was in awe.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and sharing of memories. It's all part of why I love this hobby -- combining camaraderie, memories, history and baseball. Why can't my wife understand that? LOL