NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default LEW LIPSET - BLOCKED BIDDER

Posted By: Mark

I just tried to bid on one of Lew's items on eBay and
to my surprise - I have been placed on a block bidder
status by Lew.

Funny thing, all items I have bid on and won - have been paid for
in full and timely.

Has anyone dealt with this **** from Lew before?

I sent him and e-mail and I am awaiting his repsonse.

Mark
mrios@hotmail.com

Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

but it is possible that it was an innocent mistake on his part. I'm sure he deals with more than his fair share of people and in running across a bad bidder, when going back may have mixed up ID's. It's possible.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Update: He responded with an e-mail that said, in its entirety:

"Chicago WSox yearbook."

I have no clue about this yearbook - but will call him and confront him tomorrow, should be entertaining.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

can't you tell from that small snipet of information?
I love it when people don't communicate with even one full sentence.
There's so much open to interpretation, it almost becomes a game!

Your correct response to that, was of course, "Boston game-used uniform pants."

Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck

I have the honor of being the returner of "one of the most absurd unreasonable returns" he'd ever had. I still have his note and for some reason have always felt honored to have been put in that category. You'd have to hear the whole story though.

That was about 10 years ago though........ maybe your gall has surpassed mine.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

It has been a few years, but I called him once to ask a question on an item he had for sale. he was very unfriendly, kind of grunted, gave me a two or three word answer to my question. Then hung up. even though I have wanted many of his items since that time, I have never forgotten the poor customer service I received that day. And I have bought nothing from him since. Poor customer service is one thing I can't stand. From any type of business. Car salesmen, retail etc. etc.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

This man is a legend in the hobby. Eccentric? maybe. Knowledable? without a doubt.

I've had dealings with Lew for over 20 years, from Centereach to Carefree and never a bad experience. But I guess I'm used to his "one liners" and for me its just a small chuckle.

My continued interest in this hobby has been fueled by the likes of Lew.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

lew has a quick trigger with blocking ebayers from his auctions. i, too, was blocked.......i had just spent 10-15k on his catalog auction when i tried bidding on an ebay item of his.
blocked bidder, i laughed and called him.
he said 'i sometimes have "thin skin"'.
the blocked bidder was removed the next day.
lew is a hobby icon (obviously) and i wouldn't worry too much about it.
some of my most prized items have come from lew.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator

he has earned respect in the hobby, but he may have trouble reciprocating for his clients, based on these anecdotes. Life is too short to get too upset...find who and what works for you and concentrate on those...let us know what the yearbook comment meant!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Glad to see some of the thicker skin on this board.

Over the years, I got my Doyle, Demmitt, Ohara and other memorabilia from Lew.

I've read, learned and still have his worn out three encyclopedias.

What I've learned is mostly due to Lew, Heitmann and the experience of earnest research digging and handling of cards.
Learned from my mistakes.
Making a mistake is not a crime, repeating it is.

I'm indebted to Lew and Bill.
They are collectors, from the old school of collecting.
Before the phoney portfolio pop reports.
They are from the period when people had fun with baseball cardboards.
If you think the 1929 crash was bad, wait till the "Poppies" find out that the game was carelessly played.

Back to the Real Deal -- Lew and Bill, will be around longer than the Poppies.

The top of the day to you Mr Lew and Bill, and thanks for your sharing.

Joe P.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Some of my nicest Old Judges came from Lew's personal collection years ago. I got them simply by writing him an email and giving him my want list.

Not answering emails is one of my pet peeves. For a hobby icon to answer every time is astounding. I have never met the man personally and he doesn't know me from Adam either, but he has answered every email I have ever sent him. If you expect a lengthy, detailed response, you'll be disappointed. If you simply want your question answered, that you'll get.

I agree with Steve and Andy. It's just Lew being Lew.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well Mike, it is your loss if you chose to not deal with Mr. Lipset.

He can be a man of few words. The words are well chosen, though. I treasure my dealings with him. Maybe more than the cards I've bought from him.

I share Joe P's views about Mr. Lipset. And it seems I share Joe P's views of the card collecting hobby in general, too. I did meet Mr. Lipset once. It was in Arizona, at a Diamondbacks game. Memorable for me in many ways. My wife and kids were with me, we'd driven down from Las Vegas. Flew there, rented a one way car to Phoenix. My parents had driven up from Tucson. We'd visit with my folks, then fly back to Kentucky. To the ever so slight surprise to our wives, my Dad and I had arranged meeting in Phoenix when the Diamondbacks were in town, and our Cardinals, of all teams, just happened to be playing. Randy Johnson pitched brilliantly for AZ, yielding only 1 run in the top of the 9th. Jose Jiminez pitched a no-hitter. AND, before the game, I went down to the box seat area behind the home dugout, and found Mr. Lipset in his seat. We talked cards and baseball for a few minutes during batting practice. What a night... met Mr. Lipset, saw a game with wife, kids, and parents, and it was a no hitter. AND the Cards won.

Frank.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

he is certainly due much respect. There are few if any, who know more than he does, or who has contributed more to this hobby. maybe my message was a bit harsh. For that I apologize. maybe he was having a bad day. maybe I was having a bad day. Who knows....I have his books, and have learned much from them. I do salivate many times as I stare at his inventory. You've convinced me, let by gones be by gones....but still, my question was simple, and hanging up on me, was a bit rash. Oh well....I guess there will be one more contestant in Lew's next auction.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

We don't need one more contestant.

Go back to your former thoughts!

Joe P.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Lew is one of the true icons in this hobby !!!

Maybe he was just having a bad day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcFgl6zf3A

Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

How could anyone have a bad day, with that young lady in that video !!! Very Hot....Anyway, from the time my son was about 6 or 7, up to about 15 or so, I would always buy him a vintage baseball item, on his birthday. (along with a regular birthday present) There was much variety. One year I bought him an old judge, and it came from from lew. That was my son's baseball present that year. He still has them all. Actually they are hanging in my office along with all my things. The old judge was probably a grade 4 or 5. There weren't slabs in those days. He has 10 or 11 very nice vintage items. A babe ruth underwear box, etc. etc. So lew has helped me in the past. Much thanks.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

So here's the enlightenment:

In the late 90's, Lew had an auction item up for a minimum bid of $600:
a '13 Reds Yearbook. Being a collector of Armando Marsans, an early Cuban ball player, I automatically had an interest. I requested a scan of the Marsans page. To which, good ol' Lew repsonded: "The yearbook is too fragile."

End of conversation.

Fast forward to '07, on Lew's newly revamped webpage, there it was again,
the same yearbook but now for an out-right sale price of $2K. I again requested a scan of the Marsans page and a couple of days later, I actually received it. WOW, I thought.

Anyways, besides having a deal fall through that would allow me to pony up the cash, I still did not think the yearbook was worth the $2K, so I passed.
Besides, if I was going to lay out $2K, I should be able to at least see what I am buying, no? I do not think that is much of a stretch.

Then comes yesterday's attempt to bid on one of Lew's items - BLOCKED.

So I call the ol' geezer today and before discussing why I was blocked,
he wanted to know why I posted this thread on him; seems he likes to read the Net54. He then claimed that I never had any intention of buying the yearbook and that was why I was blocked from his eBay auctions. Soon there after, before hanging up on me, he did wish me to: "have a good life." -
That was thoughtful.

I tried to call him back - but he did not answer, he might be working on Vol. 4.

Now, I know Mr. Lipset is a hobby icon, his encyclopedias, knowledge, etc. etc. etc. but because of this - he should no get an automatic pass to threat people like ****, at least not me.

And with all his knowledge it is such a waste.

As an aside, I find it funny how brave people are over the telephone or on the computer. I wish I was a bit older and lived out west.

Just another aspect of this hobby, that keeps me ever closer to jumping ship.

Not a contestant & Movin' on

Mark

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

no soup for you.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

that I don't understand Mr. Lipset's animosity towards you, to hear the story the way you tell it above....and where in this was the Whitesox yearbook?
So you decided not to buy something some time ago, you asked about it 10 years later, so he didn't believe you would actually buy it?

that's weird.

Oh well,...Happy Friday everyone!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Lipset may have written a few books and he might know a lot about baseball cards, but his customer service is about as bad as it gets. One of my worst transactions is with Lew, and I would never puchase anything from Lew again.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Mark: try not to take it personally -- for those of us who have left the hobby before, the behavior of full-time card dealers is probably the number one reason (perhaps the only reason). Hopefully you can find what you like or need from another, more agreeable, source.

Ebay and graded cards is the reason a lot of us have come back.

That's not to say that all dealers behave that way. All the sellers that I have dealt with on this forum, and most on ebay, have been great. But the behavior you described brings back some bad memories. Reminds me of why I haven't been to a show since '91.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Lew has been and will always be one of my favorite people in the hobby. He has made more of a contribution to the hobby than virtually anyone else in the hobby's history. Maybe you should lose the "old geezer" references and treat him with more respect and you might have more success.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

And we've heard one side.

A 1913 Reds year book - with Marsans in it - for $600.00 bucks -from Lew.
Had I known about it, I would have grabbed it. ... sight unseen.

This is beginning to bore me.
Mark go out and buy yourself some thicker skin.

Now let me get out to the Chantilly show.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

nevermind...

Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jfreund

Mark-With all respect your writing shows why you were blocked. You asked for a scan of an item which you never really wanted to buy--You said all along that you thought 2K was too much for the yearbook. Why would you want a scan of an item which you never intended to purchase?

I can understand why Lew would be irritated. He went through the trouble to make a difficult scan for you when all along you never wanted to buy it. That would be irritating.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George

About 20 years ago, I had what turned out to be a bunch of Orange Border cards, including Cobb, Wagner, Plank and both teams, although at the time I did not know what they were. So I xeroxed them and mailed a note to The Icon, asking him if he knew what they were. The Icon sent me back a postcard on which was written, "strip cards....worth $5 each."

I own the The Icon's 3 volume set, but I will not buy anything from him.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Let me give the other side of Lew. He gives it to you straight, which to me when I'm asking about things in his auctions is really important. There have been a number of occasions when his refusal to misleadingly puff his descriptions eliminated any potential interest I might have had in an item. Other times, knowing what and how I collect, he candidly told me he didn't think I'd be satisfied with an item. All this I find refreshing, and I much appreciate. From time to time when I have an opportunity to acquire something and wish to get another opinion, due his knowledge and straightforwardedness, I would seek Lew out.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

When I first started in the hobby...before ebay...before auction houses...and before the damn grading companies were around...my fondest memories were of receiving Lew Lipset's Four Base Hits Catalogs.

Some of my most cherished cards came from Lew. My only regret is that I didn't buy more of the items. I remember a Chief Meyers T215 with a Red Cross back, and an Ira Thomas Diamond Gum pin...each for $300.00. Regrets, I have a few.

Looking through the Four Base Hits Catalogs was as much of an education as reading Lew's books on Tobacco and Candy cards.

Thanks Lew for those wonderful memories, and for sharing your knowledge with others!

Here's my favorite purchase from Lew's Four Base Hit Catalog.

Patrick McMenemy

Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

For Jay: Respect for Lew? For what? My references to him as an ol'geezer was placed today; after all of this. Be a little more mindful of what is written and what you infer.

For Joe P: Kind of surprised by your remark on the "thicker skin";
don't need it and more importantly it is not the point. Lew just needs to but put in his place. He should treat people that way he would like to be treated himself - ever heard that one before?

Also, the $600 was a min. bid not an out right buy price. Besides, a scan is not necessarily the most difficult thing to do.

For jfreund: "my writing shows why I was blocked and I was not going to buy it" how the hell did you figure that out by what was written?

Can I ask for a scan?
And I realized that $2K was too much after seeing the scan of the Marsans page. Is that clear enough?

Man, this hobby's people are something.....

Mark
mrios@hotmail.com

Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

Lew has banned me for life, TWICE! I will refrain from being banned a third time. If anyone cares drop me an email.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

your last post itemizes all of the other comments that I did not understand or think rational.
Ditto on the hobby person comments...sometimes all it takes is one or two bad experiences to sour your collecting enthusiasm.

Lew sounds like you either love him or hate him, judging from all these posts.
I withhold judgement, not having ever met or dealt with him before, but hopefully you can find other folks to deal with and not leave the hobby again.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

This post has bits and pieces of one side of a situation, with a few folks that agree, and a few that have praise and respect for Mr. Lipset.

My enjoyment of baseball, and of the hobby of collecting baseball cards, would be enhanced with more folks like Mr. Lipset, and with fewer of those that are fussing about him. The gentleman is retired. He did great work in researching and writing about baseball cards. Work that thousands of slab collectors benefit from every day. Please give the man some rest. And some respect.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Whether or not one thinks he's crabby, his encyclopedia is one of the mostly commonly recommended and praised books in the vintage baseball card hobby. Besides, be careful what you say as he can mail you a diamond back (in his catalog he mentioned almost stepping on one in his Arizona yard).

Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Why was Mark banned if the belief was that he was not going to buy his stuff? The Venn diagram doesn't seem to overlap.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Mark

It doesnt seem like youre doing very well.
Matter of fact, it seems prettty positive for me.

As long as you email I thought I might straighten out a few facts. I don't post on the Net 54, but Ill send a copy of this to the board moderator in case he would like to see it and I suggest he make note of the name calling in your email. He has my permission to reprint any parts of it he wants to. I also dont make a habit of reading Net 54 (another of your false assertions) but I do scan for my name once in a while. Also, others advise me of some things that are of interest.

The Reds yearbook was offered by me in 1998. It was consigned by Richard Merkin and it went for $2,000. It was bought by a Seattle Psychologist named Steve Cummings who had a world class baseball publications collection. I could not have have given you a scan in 1998 because I did not own own a scanner. My auctions were done by SCD and they made scans based on color photos I sent them. This was until about 2001. Steve Madson of SCD should be able to confirm this.

While I dont have any recollection of you asking for a "scan", I have no doubt I would have declined since it was not my book and as you indicated it was fragile. Im sure you were as obvious to your intent then as you were when my sale list was listed two months ago.

Steve Cummings chose to sell his publications collection and it was sold through Sloate-Smolin and the better items through Mastro or Lifson. Im sure Barry Sloate or Jerry Smolin will have memory of this. I bought the Reds book back for $1,000 I believe and have had it since.

Now as to correcting your recollections. You asked for a scan of the Marsans and Luque when my sale page came out. If anyone wanted to see a sample page of the book, that would be fair enough, but you wanted to see Marsans AND Luque. You said you were considering buying the book. It seemed very transparent but I still sent you one. Then you asked for the other one citing it was "alot of money to spend". I sent that also knowing full well there was no chance of you buying the book. I contacted him a week later and you emailed that you weren't interest. Noteworthy, is I never received a thank you from you for either scan. One would have to be an absolute moron to think that you had any intention, ever, to buy that book. As I told you by email, if you emailed and asked for copies because you collected Cuban Players, I might have given you the scans or digital pictures, but you chose to lie and pretend.

Finally you said " And I realized that $2K was too much after seeing the scan of the Marsans page. Is that clear enough?". I dont remember which one I sent you first, but the first one was an accurate rendtion of the pages". If you knew that after seeing the first one, why did you ask for the second one.

You were banned from bidding on my ebay auctions. I went to ban you from my regular auctions, but you weren't on my mailing list.

When you found out you were blocked from bidding on my ebay auction, you emailed me and without even waiting for a reply, you posted it on 54. Two posts later you said "but will call him and confront him tomorrow, should be entertaining." Then later on you said " As an aside, I find it funny how brave people are over the telephone or on the computer. I wish I was a bit older and lived out west.". That would seem to be a threat and I note that you also are one of "brave people using the telephone and the computer", as is everyone on Net 54. Consider me chimed in.

Lew Lipset

Old 03-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

OK - Louie,

Actually, I have do have a bit of a cold - taking Dayquil though - but thanks for being so concerned.

As for contacting Leon - tell my man I said "hello". I just picked up a beater D304 Kelly from him - that I just love. For that matter, you can post this in its entirety on the Net54 thread or send a copy to your mother - I could give a **** either way. What are they now going to ban me from Net54 too? Oh, woe is me. Louie don't do it......please, have mercy!

As for the entire history of the yearbook - that was neither necessary nor the point. Many years ago you balked at sending a scan and years later you did send them with the assumption that I was not going to buy the yearbook. If I felt, after seeing the scans, that I was not interested in spending the $2K for it, what would be a crime? According to you - I guess so.

And since you are some kind of prophet in knowing that I was not going to buy the yearbook from the very beinning - then why waste your precious time in sending the scans? Oh, that must be your unrivaled customer service at work, right.

Also, I asked for a second scan because in my original e-mail the request was for Marsans AND Almeida. But of course you only sent Marsans - in "Old Judge" fashion.

And a "thank you" for the scans? I would have but after the - "Well at least you got your scans" condescending response from you, I did not think it was needed.

My statement of " $2K being alot of money to spend" was and still is exactly my sentiment. Maybe capitalist pigs like yourself have two grand to spend on a daily basis, but I do not.

It is a shame that you choose to comport yourself so poorly, esp. being
so knowledgeable about the hobby. But as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, right?

By the way, just for the record, it was Armando Marsans and Rafael D'Almeida not Adolfo Luque - he started for Cin. in '18.

As for your auctions on eBay or from your website, I could easily find someone to bid and purchase items for me - not a problem. So keep an eye out, prophet.

As for me posting on Net54, before receiving your response - I figured this all had to do with the Reds yearbook - keeping in mind your egocentric self. Besides what would the thread matter if your bent mind thought I was completely wrong and lacked substance? Maybe it could provide some insight on a small public forum into the ass that you really are - as others have so keenly attested to.

You mentioned the whole threat thing - no..............................never....not me

Funny, what a p**** you are for being a New Yorker.

What goes around comes back around - sooner or later.

Take care of yourself - this really is too much bull**** about nothing.

Mark

Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Hey Mark....I'm in your camp on this one. My only experience with Lipset back in the 90's was not a good one. I'll just say I came away with the impression he was a surly old man.
I think you might as well realize that nothing you say will chamge the minds of some of the brown nosers on this forum or in this hobby. I laugh at Lipsets reply....what the hell difference does it make anyway why someone is interested in buying anything you are selling. I could care less why people buy things from my stores....just that they buy them. Kind of childish actually the way your blocking was explained. Sounds like he would block you from any auctions anywhere in the world if he had the power...LOL.
Lipset has done a lot of great research to further the collecting educations of many baseball card enthusiasts, but I'm afraid that doesn't quite make him "king" in my book.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Mr. Lipset, I apologize for him. He won't.

I trust that the few collectors who share Mark's feelings will stay clear of your auctions. Their loss. They won't understand, but then there's much they don't understand.

With kind regards,

Frank.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

For what it's worth, I think the above response to Mr. Lipset's stream of consciousness was a little harsh. I always have someone in my office read my "FU" letters before I send them out, so I don't end up looking like a bigger ass (speaking generally, not saying anyone on here looks like one).

As for the P.R. blitz, I don't think anybody is questioning Mr. Lipset's knowledge, contributions, etc. I also don't think anybody is questioning that he has treated some people with respect. But it is certainly within the somebody's right (although not my style) to tell stories of bad customer service, especially when they have so much support.

Everyone knows that Mr. Lipset is well-respected and apparently respcts other(s). So what's with the repetitive praise (and for that matter, the repetitive smears)? Can't we agree to disagree? Can't we all just get along?

Old 03-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The hobby may owe Lipset gratitude for writing his baseball card books, but that gives nobody the right to be an ass to anyone.

If you would take the time to do a search of old threads, you will see that that are other incidents where Lipset's customers were unhappy with the way in which he dealt with problems.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

"the ass that you really are"

"capitalist pigs like yourself"

"what a p**** you are for being a New Yorker."

Mark, you've got issues far more serious than being blocked from bidding in an eBay auction.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've intentionally stayed off this thread but since my name was cited I thought I would just add a few thoughts.

I went back to my June 2000 auction catalog and we did sell a 1913 Reds yearbook, if that's the one being discussed here. It does look quite fragile from the picture- it's got a bit of cover chipping- so I think I too might have been hesitant to provide color photocopies of the interior pages. However, this is not a thread about photocopies, it is one about courteous dealing with customers.

Mr. Lipset and I were once close friends, but we have not spoken for years. There is no need for me to chime in what I think about all this because it has all been said already. Clearly there are some people who get along with Mr. Lipset, and some who don't. He knows who he likes, and he knows who he doesn't like. That has always been crystal clear.

But I do think this thread has probably gone far enough. He has made great contributions to the hobby, primarily through the Old Judge and his Encyclopedia. He has not always been as successful dealing with the general public, and I can not answer why that is (nor do I care to).

Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I just wanted to take a second to apologize for wasting people's time on all this; it is after about baseball cards and the like.

Need a break for all this,

Mark
mrios@hotmail.com

Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

I don't think an apology is necessary, but I accept!

Old 03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

What's so bizarre is that some people are so personally entrenched in this hobby that the thought of somebody publishing some encyclopedia's about baseball cards negates them of any responsibility of their words or actions. Let's think about this, publishing books about baseball cards isn't exactly pushing humanity forward.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

One think I like about Lew is that he is upfront with you, good or bad. You will always know where you stand with him. Consistency is much better than someone who changes personalities every month or so. I would guess that 80% people on this board have been banned or do not do business with certain dealers/auction companies. I'm banned from Nick pavletic and Al Rosen. Life's too short to worry about spilt milk. Accept people for how they are.. If you do not like the way they are.. Just move on... JC

Old 03-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Jim- Good point about moving on. However, anybody who is consistently an ass isn't any better than someone who is "moody."

Old 03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

"Accept people for how they are.. If you do not like the way they are.. Just move on... JC"

Well said.

/s/ One of the "brown nosers".

Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Well, there - someone said the "B" word - Brown Noser....

What's the difference between Brown Nosing and Kissing A$$?

Scroll down.....

DEPTH PERCEPTION

Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I had one large deal with Lew about a year ago. We spoke on the phone and I found him to be a wealth of knowledge and quite pleasant. He may be very to the point but at no time in our ten minute + conversation did I find him to be rude or short with me.