NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default Paperloss experience with SGC grading

Posted By: Dave

Having not dealt with SGC on submittals before, curious what anybody else has recieved with a similar type card...(sorry, no scans yet tonight) T206 with the front of a SGC60, maybe 70....small amount of paperloss on the back (Piedmont back) paperloss in over the 3 in the 350 and the B and A in the word baseball above that....no other marks, creases....possible to get a SGC40 or would 30 be highest of anyone else's experience??

Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Hi Dave,

SGC is mighty tough on paper loss.
I had a Mathewson 206 white cap that was easily a 6 and it came back a 2
due to paper loss on the back. Admittedly, it had more of a loss than you're indicating that yours has.
I sure hope you get at least the 40 that you're hoping for, and i'd say the odds are pretty good---but don't be shocked if the ole 30 comes your way.
Let me also say that i've had a few that were certain 4's but the paper loss
brought the dreaded 20 and even 10 at times.

SGC is as tough a grader as any i had in grad. school!

all the best,

Barry

Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

When I see posts like this about small patches of paper loss I immediately begin to think that the graders look at a card to get the "whole picture look" but then they may miss the little things (which actually are big things) for some reason or other. Maybe the grader looks at the card, says this is a "6", the phone rings the grader puts down the card and the next thing you know the small spot of paper loss is missed. Who knows how this really happens though. You have to figure, the grading service gets paid a nominal amount to have the following done:

• Received and logged into their system

• Appraised/graded/evaluated

• Log the grade into the system

• Create a label

• Encapsulate the card

• Package it and send it back to the submitter.

I guess that's a lot for about $10. In any case, it's their business so you'd hope that they'd catch all the little flaws. What's an acceptable quality control number here? 99.9% accurate on not missing the little stuff (small patch of paper loss, small crease, small mark)?

Too bad this wasn't a PSA card, we could all start a PSA bashing thread. I think it's been at least a good couple of weeks since we've seen one of those... did everyone make a news years resolution not to do a PSA bashing thread? Heck, I feel like starting one....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Well generally I do submit to PSA....I've just never gotten any T206 regardless of how good the front was and how little paperloss was on the back (providing there was some) anything above a PSA 2, thats why I was curious if SGC was more leniant and if there was a chance for a 40. If not I can always send to GAI and maybe get the 6 or even a 7...

Barry...if your looking for "nice appearance"...I'd be more than willing to trade this common for your Matty with more paperloss....he he

Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

not my Matty, Dave!!
but i do have an Elberfeld port. where he's missing an upper lip that i
could let go of.
and it's not the 'rare' port.!

all the best,

barry

Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Was kind of hoping you had gotten hold of some bad wine this evening and werent in your right state of mind to make the logical decision....

Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

SGC will wallop you for paper loss on the back. They feel this greatly compromises the condition of the card. I have sent them cards with EX/EX-MT fronts and the tiniest bit of paper loss on the back, and they were graded "fair". Be forewarned.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

this card looks nm/exmt but there is a tiny flake off the left border that lowered it to vg. i love cards like this because it appears at least ex but scg graded it vg 40