NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-31-2019, 03:19 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Connie Mack opinions...

What say ye all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack.jpg (37.0 KB, 241 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
Kevin

Not a fan of it
Old 03-31-2019, 03:49 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I agree. I assume this is supposed to be a later life signature on some kind of team ball? If this is supposed to be from the 50’s it really doesn’t look labored enough to be his signature at that point in his life. If it’s earlier, then that is pretty clean for something earlier. There are points in the sig that I think are ok, but others I don’t. I know that doesn’t help much, but I would be interested to see the rest of the ball.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Probably 90% of the team balls out there have a clubhouse Mack. I wouldn’t guess about yours.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Probably 90% of the team balls out there have a clubhouse Mack. I wouldn’t guess about yours.
90 percent???? I dont know as if I ever saw a clubhouse MACK...he was a pretty avid signer. Do you Have some clubhouse exampliers? I would be interested in seeing some.

Last edited by w7imel; 03-31-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I just did a quick search on eBay and here was the first one that popped up.
EDF74BD6-008B-44C9-862A-50AB3044BA1E.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
90 percent???? I dont know as if I ever saw a clubhouse MACK...he was a pretty avid signer. Do you Have some clubhouse exampliers? I would be interested in seeing some.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
+1
There are going to be clubhouse examples, sure.... but I think 90% is a considerable exaggeration.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I have dealt with a number of older team signed balls. I can almost guarantee that the manager on any team ball is going to be clubhouse - not always but a lot more often than not. I have seen it time and time again.
A few years ago I had a guy bring me 3 team signed balls that he got in person in 1947-48. Tigers, Indians and Athletics. I bought the balls. Then I took them to JSA and they told me everything was good... except the Mack. So I went back to the guy and asked him if he saw Mack sign the ball. He said “no, they told me I couldn’t approach the big guy myself so they told me they would get it done for me”. Someone else signed the ball and he had a clubhouse Mack. I think it happened a lot more than you think.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I have dealt with a number of older team signed balls. I can almost guarantee that the manager on any team ball is going to be clubhouse - not always but a lot more often than not. I have seen it time and time again.
A few years ago I had a guy bring me 3 team signed balls that he got in person in 1947-48. Tigers, Indians and Athletics. I bought the balls. Then I took them to JSA and they told me everything was good... except the Mack. So I went back to the guy and asked him if he saw Mack sign the ball. He said “no, they told me I couldn’t approach the big guy myself so they told me they would get it done for me”. Someone else signed the ball and he had a clubhouse Mack. I think it happened a lot more than you think.
What do you guys think about this one that I have then? I have had it a while and never really thought twice about it until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack.JPG (55.0 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by w7imel; 04-01-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Br.ent So.bie

The last two Athletics team-signed balls REA has sold (Spring 2017 and the recently concluded auction on March 24th) both had Mack signatures that were not deemed clubhouse - with the most recent offering signed by Cornelius on the sweet spot.
Again, no one is arguing that clubhouse examples don't exist, but the 90% you stated is not realistic.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
What do you guys think about this one that I have then? I have had it a while and never really thought twice about it until now.
Just went thru my files my ball was from Feb 11 2016 Huggins and Scott Auction JSA LOA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack2.jpg (78.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Michael,
I am comfortable with the one that you showed. That one loooks good to me. The other “clubhouse” example doesn’t look anything like the OP version or the one you posted. I am not trying to start or contribute to an arguement, but most Mack signatures I have seen on team balls are authentic. He had plenty of bad teams and they signed plenty of balls. They are pretty common. Mack also signed tons at the games on programs as well as through the mail.

There are some newer forgeries that I see on eBay, but many items of his offered are authentic and I think they are a very nice item considering his long contributions as a player, coach, and owner. For a guy who played in the 1880’s and was active in the game until his very late years, I think his signature is a hell of a deal. All of this is IMHO. Take care, Jason
Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Randall,
I had a chance to see the signature better, I believe it is good. Hope you get it

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 04-01-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I agree with Jason on both counts. Best of luck!