NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Part sports talk, part collectibles: Mcfarlane figures

Hey guys,

A quick search on Google doesn't show a topic that's been devoted specifically to Mcfarlane figures, so, I figured I'd start one, and see which of you, if any, also collect these beauties. Leon, if you feel this would better fit in another sub forum, please, by all means, move it for me!

I have a pretty small collection, as I have a finite amount of space at the moment. But I've been staring to build it as I assemble things to put into my "man cave" when I get off disability, and back to work. I'll combine elements of my greatest loves: sports, film and music. I have the design already sketched in great detail in my mind. And these figures will play a prominent role in that room.They are incredibly detailed, and there's a nearly endless way to collect them. I just purchased my first hockey figure, as I've started getting back into the sport I loved nearly as much as baseball and football when I was a kid. My mom spent a few years of her childhood living in Toronto, and her love of the game rubbed off on me.

Since the figures I have are still packaged (they'll eventually be removed, and placed in acrylic display cases with other memorabilia), I'll just post pictures of the ones I have, thus far. Eventually, when I get into my new place, and get the room up and running, I'll take pictures to share here.

Here are the ones I have, thus far.

Wayne Gretzky

Hank Aaron

Joe DiMaggio

Jordy Nelson

Aaron Rodgers

Brett Favre

Unfortunately, Mcfarlane no longer holds the MLB license, so if a baseball figure hasn't been done, I'll have to get one custom made. There are a ton of players that they didn't do, inexplicably. No Robin Yount or Paul Molitor, no Eddie Mathews or Warren Spahn. No Stan Musial, Ernie Banks, Mel Ott...the list goes on. The only pre-1900 player in the collection is Ty Cobb.

But pretty much every New York Yankee that has ever played is in the collection. And, for many of them, there are like six or seven releases. There are, by my count, five Derek Jeters. But no Cy Young, Shoeless Joe Jackson, or any of the other players I listed above. Don't get me wrong. A lot of the Yankee figures rank among my favorites Mcfarlane has ever done. The Thurman Munson catching is impossibly cool. But did he really need two? Another batting, when Stan Musial can't even get one?

What do you all think of these? And, do you collect them? I've seen some ridiculous customizations, so if there's a guy I really want, like Yount, I can get it. Others I plan on getting right away, like Roberto Clemente, Ted Williams, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr and Roger Staubach are plentiful.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I also collected the Macfarlane statues. I have mostly the San Diego Padres and Chargers (including the huge LaDainian Tomlinson statue), as well as the Colorado Avalanche and Nolan Ryans. I also have several other misc pieces such as Gretzky and Gordie Howe, Clemente, Aaron, Bench, Favre, Staubach, most of the older Yankees (Munson and before).

They were one of my favorite things to collect, and I am really ticked off that they lost their MLB and NHL licenses.

I'll see if I can post pictures of them in the next few days.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 01-10-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I wouldn’t say I collect them but I do own a few. Two different Griffey’s and a Nolan Ryan I used in a display I made along with an autographed ball. I love the details in them. Quite a far cry from the Starting Lineup figured I had in the early 90s.
Drew
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Bill Gregory

Yeah, I, too, am ticked off they lost their license with the NHL and MLB. I love the Cooperstown line, and there are so many players that never got a release. I am a huge Brewers/Braves fan, and feel pretty much ignored. There are like three Brewers figures. Richie Sexon, Prince Fielder, and a Ryan Braun figure that looks absolutely nothing like him. There's a Rollie Fingers, but, of course, he's only available in an Oakland A's uniform, even though he won the MVP and Cy Young as a Brewer. Milwaukee Braves? Not a single one. The Hank Aaron is an Atlanta Brave. No Warren Spahn or Eddie Mathews.

It's ridiculous they never made a Stan Musial. That's unforgivable. But thank God they made five or six Derek Jeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I also collected the Macfarlane statues. I have mostly the San Diego Padres and Chargers (including the huge LaDainian Tomlinson statue), as well as the Colorado Avalanche and Nolan Ryans. I also have several other misc pieces such as Gretzky and Gordie Howe, Clemente, Aaron, Bench, Favre, Staubach, most of the older Yankees (Munson and before).

They were one of my favorite things to collect, and I am really ticked off that they lost their MLB and NHL licenses.

I'll see if I can post pictures of them in the next few days.

Steve

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

If you have ever seen Todd MacFarlane's artwork, it is probably not surprising that the level of detail is 'expected' in his line of figures.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

My 5 year old son just started collecting MacFarlane Statues.
IMG_0208.jpg

Last edited by parker1b2; 03-07-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 AM
Bill Gregory

I'd like to see, Jonathan. Report the picture, it's not showing.

I'm looking to add a few more pretty soon, myself.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Photo is showing on my end. I'll try and reattach if nobody is seeing it.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Those are actually Imports Dragon Figures, not Mcfarlanes (except for the one in the back. That is a Mcfarlane Yasiel Puig). They acquired the Major League Baseball license after Mcfarlane inexplicably let theirs lapse. But it's good to see your son collecting and enjoying.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-10-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:01 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

What's wrong with this picture?

I just found it on ebay.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Bill Gregory

No idea, but it's not a McFarlane.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
No idea, but it's not a McFarlane.

How is he standing in relation to home plate?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Jon

Huge hit that they lost their MLB license as you said. I keep a bunch on my desk at work and have a lot at home as well. Here's my super professional office setup.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
How is he standing in relation to home plate?

Steve
The figures are removable from the base, so the person just put it in the wrong way.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:07 AM
Bill Gregory

Nice collection, JG.

Just added these three.

Mickey Mantle, Carl Yastrzemski and Roberto Clemente.

And that Andrew McCutchen figure is an Import Dragon. They're the company that won the license from MLB. Their figures are nowhere near as detailed as the McFarlanes. I hope McFarlane gets the license back, because these new figures won't be in my collection. So many players that need to be made yet.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-27-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 PM
Bill Gregory

For the first time since 2015, Mcfarlane has the MLB license back, somehow. Yay! Looks like they are co-producing the figures with Dragon Imports, but they are definitely involved, as they announced MLB '19 The Show on their website. These first six figures look much better than the old Dragon Import figures, at least from the digital renderings. Thank God.

Mookie Betts.

Now, to wait for the inevitable Christian Yelich Brewers release.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Bill Gregory

My collection of McFarlanes has really exploded, and with them getting back the MLB license, I'll be adding more, for sure.

My current list of players:

NFL
Brett Favre
Aaron Rodgers
Jordy Nelson
Ray Nitschke
Donald Driver
Ahman Green
Joe Montana

MLB
Mickey Mantle
Babe Ruth
Roger Maris
Joe DiMaggio
Carl Yastrzemski
Ted Williams
Hank Aaron
Mike Schmidt
Willie Stargell
Roberto Clemente
Nolan Ryan

NHL
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Sidney Crosby
Gordie Howe

I'll have to take some pictures.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Bill Gregory

Added a few more to the collection. I'm really enjoying them. They're going to look great once I finally take them all out of the packaging.

New additions:

Bart Starr
Reggie White
Ryan Braun
Ty Cobb

I'm debating on which one to add next. Dan Marino, Walter Payton, Lou Gehrig, Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Bobby Orr, Oscar Robertson, Julius Erving, Lawrence Taylor or Barry Sanders.

I'd like to get into the NBA players. Some of them really look like the players. Others are a bit more inconsistent.

Are any of you guys still collecting these?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I have always liked the Hockey Figures. One Christmas I put together A Figure of some of my friends favorite players with an autographed card as gifts. They were a big hit. I still display a Brodeur, Iverson and A Jeter (I think the second one issued).
Most I have are opened but I put away a couple of Lebrons.
My Grandson (2) has definitely noticed them and in a couple more years I will give him some to play with. I have some of the small ones 3 inch that I got as stadium giveaways. still good detail even on the small ones.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Jimmy Motz

I dont currently collect these but have several totes filled with unopened ones. I even have an entire case of Willie Msys SF years ago still in the box. I am just not sure what I am going to do with them.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
I dont currently collect these but have several totes filled with unopened ones. I even have an entire case of Willie Msys SF years ago still in the box. I am just not sure what I am going to do with them.
The Ebay market is quite active. I put individual figures on my watch list, and they get sold very quickly. And it's not me buying them all.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 AM
Bill Gregory

My collection has become self aware, and is growing at an exponential rate.
Added a few more.

Favre vs Urlacher
Dan Marino
Tony Gwynn