NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Mike P.ap

Default My very first article in SMR!

I'm pretty excited. The February SMR magazine just arrived and my 1961 Fleer Basketball Signed Set is featured in a rather long article with some great pics of my favorite cards in my set! Sorry if you can't read it all, I'm a lousy photographer!

What started out as a starter set on this very board from Board member:
Jerry G aka: Jerry Gal.le.ano
became a 2.5 year obsession and passion for me, the set was awarded Best Signed Set on the entire PSA/DNA registry for 2018, and now this really cool article!

I only need 1 card still! Card #7 Carl Braun and I'm hoping the article will entice someone to email me with a lead! Thanks Jerry for getting me started on this incredible set!

Here is a very clear link for reading: https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...sketball-cards
Peace, Mike

thumbnail_IMG_1302.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1303.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1304.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1305.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1306.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1307.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1308.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1309.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 01-29-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Nice!!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Mike Biggans

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Bob McLean

I think that is fantastic. Big props to you for all the effort to complete this tough set.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
D@rek H.ogue

That is beautiful! Congrats!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I still have the smr sealed over on the chair. Exciting to be acquainted with the owner of such a great collection. I look forward to reading. Congrats.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Very cool, congrats!

What's the Taladay collection by the way?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Awesome, congratulations. You need to sign the SMR!!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Mike

wow just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Mike P.ap

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
wow just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Johnny and everyone else! It truly is an amazing piece of history and has been a pleasure to track down!

Peace, Mike
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Great achievement.

Speaking of Wilt autos, the prices on some of the "certified" autos are unbelievable. I guess they must have been very limited.

Russell, on the other hand, who as a player and for decades afterwards apparently NEVER signed anything, became a prolific signer. His certified autos are mostly quite inexpensive.

I was actually at the first public event, or so it was represented, where Russell signed. It was a late 90s show at a Boston school. Wilt was there too. And yours truly was too cheap to buy a signed basketball lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Ugh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Great achievement.

Speaking of Wilt autos, the prices on some of the "certified" autos are unbelievable. I guess they must have been very limited.

Russell, on the other hand, who as a player and for decades afterwards apparently NEVER signed anything, became a prolific signer. His certified autos are mostly quite inexpensive.

I was actually at the first public event, or so it was represented, where Russell signed. It was a late 90s show at a Boston school. Wilt was there too. And yours truly was too cheap to buy a signed basketball lol.
I would have LOVED to be at that Wilt show. I'll bet Russell autos at that show were through the roof! I have met him a few times at the Shriner's Show in Mass along with Big O and had them sign their cards right in front of me. That was an incredible experience!

Thanks for the memories Peter. I want to build a time machine and go back and get Wilt in person! Any others like that idea?

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-28-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think it was $300 for a jointly signed ball, but it was a long time ago so that's my best guess only. I don't recall an option of just getting one of them to sign. I thought about it then said nah too much. LOL.

They were sitting at a table together near the entrance, they did seem to both be enjoying it. I am pretty sure it was BC High, which used to be a big show. Lots of national dealers. I have no doubt that in hindsight whatever I bought that day pales compared to a Russell Wilt signed ball.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Scott S

Your memory is pretty accurate - it was BC High, I would guess about 1995, and was thinking $350 for the joint-signed ball.

It was mind-blowing at that time for Russell to do a signing. This was a person whom I assumed I'd never have his autograph - the stories were legendary of how he wouldn't even sign an autograph for his friends and teammates. Glad he had such a change of heart - he is an icon for many reasons, and truly did seem to enjoy the interactions with (and adulation from) fans. Understandable that he acted as he did, based on how he was treated in the 1960s, but glad to be fortunate enough to meet him a few times in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think it was $300 for a jointly signed ball, but it was a long time ago so that's my best guess only. I don't recall an option of just getting one of them to sign. I thought about it then said nah too much. LOL.

They were sitting at a table together near the entrance, they did seem to both be enjoying it. I am pretty sure it was BC High, which used to be a big show. Lots of national dealers. I have no doubt that in hindsight whatever I bought that day pales compared to a Russell Wilt signed ball.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Congratulations, Mike!

Wow! That is terrific. Raise your hand Carl Braun!

I have actually been thinking of contacting you lately. When I started the project I kept a log of dates that I mailed the cards and when or if they were returned to me. Nothing fancy, just handwritten notes. The varied return times are interesting, but probably more importation to the collection, it would document the time frame in which the cards were signed. I'm not exactly sure where they are, but if you are interested, I'm sure I could find them for you.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

So cool! Congratulations!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post

I have actually been thinking of contacting you lately. When I started the project I kept a log of dates that I mailed the cards and when or if they were returned to me. Nothing fancy, just handwritten notes. The varied return times are interesting, but probably more importation to the collection, it would document the time frame in which the cards were signed. I'm not exactly sure where they are, but if you are interested, I'm sure I could find them for you.
Yes!

Thanks Jerry once again and to all who have sent me kudos!

Peace, Mike
Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 AM
octavio ranzola

Terrific
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Outstanding article. Congrats and well deserved!
Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Ordered an SMR and It Arrived Today

Hey, Mike. Todd Tobias did a wonderful job on the SMR article! When I saw the cards I felt like I was visiting with some old friends. One that I thought I would never see was the Walter Dukes. When I saw that I was totally mesmerized! Way to go, Mike.

I found your phone calls with Mr. and Mrs. John McCarthy entertaining. Mainly, because of being an old St. Louis Hawks fan and the address that I had for him was only about 20 minutes from my house. I mailed cards to him twice with no response. I debated knocking on his door and asking for a signature, but refrained.

As I mentioned before, the only thing keeping me from feeling the monster of seller's remorse is that I was able to upgrade my all time favorite set, 1933 Goudey to minimum VG. Real happy with that.

I am truly thrilled for your achievement, Mike. Find that Carl Braun!

Last edited by Jerry G; 02-05-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great stories and collecting. (and congrats, Mike)

Quote:
Hey, Mike. Todd Tobias did a wonderful job on the SMR article! When I saw the cards I felt like I was visiting with some old friends. One that I thought I would never see was the Walter Dukes. When I saw that I was totally mesmerized! Way to go, Mike.

I found your phone calls with Mr. and Mrs. John McCarthy entertaining. Mainly, because of being an old St. Louis Hawks fan and the address that I had for him was only about 20 minutes from my house. I mailed cards to him twice with no response. I debated knocking on his door and asking for a signature but, refrained.

As I mentioned before, the only thing keeping me from feeling the monster of seller's remorse is that I was able to upgrade my all time favorite set, 1933 Goudey to minimum VG. Real happy with that.

I am truly thrilled for your achievement, Mike. Find that Carl Braun!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

Quote:

Jerry,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for your original notes! I received them today and I am so happy to have them to put with my detailed notes on the provenance of many of the cards in my signed set.

I love your last paragraph from the note you sent me that references how you appreciate sharing these stories with me because your wife and friends could not give a "XXXXXXXXX" well......you know what you wrote! lol

Thanks Jerry once again for all your help. What a journey! You are a big part of it!

Take care my friend!

Peace, Mike
Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Pete S.

Got my copy last week and read this article in its entirety. It was awesome (and I’m not even a basketball collector!). Congrats. These type of collecting adventures and articles are what makes the hobby great!!!

Last edited by swabie2424; 02-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:08 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Cool!

Thanks to all the kudos, it is appreciated! I just got in the mail today a nice unexpected "gift". A signed copy of the magazine article by the author Todd Tobias! It will make for a nice quirky bookend for my signed complete 1961 set!

Almost complete I must say....still looking for a signed 1961 Fleer #7 Carl Braun with solid provenance or already slabbed by PSA/DNA, SGC, or Beckett. GENEROUS finders fee!

Peace, "Pap"

thumbnail_IMG_1468.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 02-23-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Amazing Mike! Congratulations!

I hope you find a Braun soon.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-23-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
octavio ranzola

love these stories