NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari View Post
Me, Babe Ruth, and his 38 friends from the band-aid can? I guess I write"we" occasionally here as I am assisting another party (my uncle) help spread the word that this collection exists and the cards from it may be for sale.... soon.
Got it, thanks.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 PM

PSA lists that they have seen one Ruth from this series:

https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...sheimers/40209

Do they have an image of it somewhere? How does that work? Or it's just graded by PSA and sitting in someones private collection somewhere?

Last edited by Atari; 02-23-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...sheimers/40209
The only ones PSA would have images of are the ones that have sold at auction that they're tracking through Auction Prices Realized or if people upload them to their website for a Set Registry. Maybe in an old SMR magazine article if someone allowed them to be photographed.
Other places to check: worthpoint, Sports Collectors Daily, PWCC marketplace, VCP, Google, etc.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Val Kehl

Atari, nice find. As others have said, your Herps-Ruth card will fetch big $$. However, even though your group includes several other HOFers, I think you may be surprised as to how few $$ the other Herps cards will fetch. I say this because (1) 1921 Herps cards are too scarce for a collector to attempt to complete a set of them - scarcity often works against a card's value, (2) there are several other, identical, but scarcer 1921 issues - e.g., Leader Theatre, Haffner's Bread, Gassler's Bread, Clark's Bread, etc. that don't sell for all that much, and (3) most pre-War collectors (but not me) prefer the very colorful cards created by artists to the real-photo, black & white cards.

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that your find does not include a WaJo card, as I love having 1-of-1 cards. On the other hand, I'm saddened to note that your find includes a Sam Rice card. Oh well, one can't win them all!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 02-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Atari

It looks like your uncle will be retiring early.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Atari, nice find. As others have said, your Herps-Ruth card will fetch big $$. However, even though your group includes several other HOFers, I think you may be surprised as to how few $$ the other Herps cards will fetch. I say this because (1) 1921 Herps cards are too scarce for a collector to attempt to complete a set of them - scarcity often works against a card's value, (2) there are several other, identical, but scarcer 1921 issues - e.g., Leader Theatre, Haffner's Bread, Gassler's Bread, Clark's Bread, etc. that don't sell for all that much, and (3) most pre-War collectors (but not me) prefer the very colorful cards created by artists to the real-photo, black & white cards.

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that your find does not include a WaJo card, as I love having 1-of-1 cards. On the other hand, I'm saddened to note that your find includes a Sam Rice card. Oh well, one can't win them all!
Hey ValKehl - Thanks for your note. You make some good points there. Hard to tell what they might go for these days. Glad I didn't uptick your WaJo, but as far as the Sam Rice goes (E.C. Rice?)... maybe you'll wind up with 2 of 2? That would be almost as cool as having 1 of 1.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Hey ValKehl - Thanks for your note. You make some good points there. Hard to tell what they might go for these days. Glad I didn't uptick your WaJo, but as far as the Sam Rice goes (E.C. Rice?)... maybe you'll wind up with 2 of 2? That would be almost as cool as having 1 of 1.
Yes, HOFer Edgar Charles Rice is better known as Sam Rice.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:58 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Wow, cool, that's an awesome find! I love seeing new cards like this coming out.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Hard to judge the value of a good one-of-a-kind industry press release

Which of the 3 major services can currently issue a press release with nicely edited youtube video of them grading this lot? Would you watch that video?
I work in the industry and the press would not be as valuable as you might think. The major card companies have a huge backlog so they are not hurting for business. If you found a new grading company looking to make a splash, maybe, but they would not enhance the value to the degree of the big three.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...sheimers/40209
The only ones PSA would have images of are the ones that have sold at auction that they're tracking through Auction Prices Realized or if people upload them to their website for a Set Registry. Maybe in an old SMR magazine article if someone allowed them to be photographed.
Other places to check: worthpoint, Sports Collectors Daily, PWCC marketplace, VCP, Google, etc.
Thanks for the tips! So far no luck finding that other Ruth anywhere other than the PSA listing. Would be nice if they had more detail on it like when it was last seen/graded.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

One trick you can try is to find the cert numbers of the other cards you have found, like in the APR page on PSA's website. Then with the cert number of a known card from the set, you can type in nearby numbers to see if it was submitted with other from the set at the same time. I remember cert numbers starting with 90,000,000 and ones around 11,000,000 from the couple I spotted last night. Once you've found those, you can figure out which year it was submitted by finding modern cards that were submitted around the same cert numbers. It's a little tedious, but there is a workaround.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 AM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
He says, 5 pages later.

Maybe you're right... instead of 1700 views over 5 pages of threads in just 8 hours we could have done better.
Posted after reading the thread all the way through.
Seems that is the correct way to do it.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:46 AM

Been going back over this thread and the broader 1921 Herpolsheimer's saga a bit more because these cards will be going to auction very soon. I'll let the auctioneer who has them make the official announcement, but I think they're in the best hands they could be in, especially in terms of knowledge and passion for these nearly impossible to find cards.

btw, it took quite some time to get to this point because my uncle unfortunately was unexpectedly diagnosed with stage IV liver cancer and died 20 days later in 2020. We have been going through mourning of his loss and the whole probate process since then. Really sucks as he was like my dad and big brother and best buddy all in one. He was a collector of many things and an auction goer himself. He would have really loved to watch the sale of these cards. RIP.

Last edited by Atari; 10-05-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:08 AM
James M.

Always amazed at some of the finds that pop up on the boards. Absolutely incredible! I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle. I hope you have been able to find some closure.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 10-05-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:24 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Put them on the B/T/S thread raw. They look good to me and you will save a bundle on grading fees.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Put them on the B/T/S thread raw. They look good to me and you will save a bundle on grading fees.
I have dibs on Ruth.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:14 PM
Micah L Marshall II

So sorry for your loss, sounds like he would have really enjoyed watching the auction! which auction house are they with, I would love to make a go at a couple.

Completed 1986/87 Fleer Basketball

Completed 1935 National Chicle - 36/36

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Always looking for 1935 National Chicle Football cards or the premiums.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:11 PM

Maybe the auction house can auction them as a group, and as individual cards and whichever goes for more will decide who wins them.

Sorry for your loss. I lost both of my parents in the last three years. Sucks getting old.

Last edited by NonSportDaniel; 10-05-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:36 AM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel View Post
Maybe the auction house can auction them as a group, and as individual cards and whichever goes for more will decide who wins them.
Now, THAT's funny Daniel.

Well, one good thing in your favor is that during Covid, Ruth cards went up exponentially. Best of luck with the sale and disbursement of the funds to family. Sorry for the loss of your uncle.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:01 PM

Not meant to rhyme but overjoyed to avoid.

Tags
babe ruth, e121, herpolsheimer, herpolsheimer's, shotwell