NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Mark Peavey

Default What should I do with this card?

I bought this card on ebay last week from a fellow board member. First, I want to make it clear I have no complaint whatsoever about the seller, who has a strong reputation and many years experience with pre-war cards. He has offered a full refund if I don't want to keep the card.

The card was listed on ebay as a color variation. I received the card today, looked it over, and believe the color variation is definitely legitimate. It has not been altered to achieve the color variation. It is really quite unique and interesting; there is gray sky where it should be blue. See scans below.

The problem is that I believe the card has been trimmed on the top. You can't really see it in the scans, but when viewing the actual card, it's fairly obvious. So, my concern is that if I send it in for grading, it will receive an "A" grade for the trimming, and people will later assume the "A" refers to altering the card to achieve a color variation. I don't usually have my T206 cards graded, but I think perhaps I should on this one due to the unique color. On a previous thread, one member wrote that he thought it looked fake, so if I keep it without grading it might be hard to sell later on.

So, I would like some advice on what to do with this card. I paid $125 for it. Should I return it for a refund? Given that it is probably trimmed, what would collectors of T206 error cards think it is worth? Should I send it in for grading? If so, is one grading company better than the other when working with these kinds of cards?

Any help/advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark
drumback2@cox.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (77.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (80.0 KB, 545 views)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Mark, I think $125 was a good deal for this card, trimmed or not.

To answer your question, either keep it, or offer it in the classifieds for your cost. I think it would sell quickly.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Kenny Cole

If you bought it to sell and you don't think it will grade like you wish it would, return it. If you bought it because you like it and want to keep it in your collection don't. Pretty simple IMO. It just depends on what your plans for the card are.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Ken McMillan

Measure the card. Looks good to me.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
T0NY @

I'd keep it raw just as is. Just another option to consider.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Mark Peavey

I did measure it, and it is actually oversized just a bit. Still looks trimmed, though.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default pm

sent
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

I agree scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
mark, i think $125 was a good deal for this card, trimmed or not.

To answer your question, either keep it, or offer it in the classifieds for your cost. I think it would sell quickly.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Paul

Both top and bottom borders are crazy trimmed. If you can't see that in this scan, I would avoid buying raw cards.

Seriously.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Mark Peavey

I'm pretty sure the bottom is not trimmed. Sorta looks like it in the scan, for some reason, but in person the bottom border looks okay.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Kenny Cole

read the post wrong. My fault. I apologize,

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 07-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Is it possibly printer's scrap? Maybe it was hand cut long ago. It could have been from a sheet that was discarded due to the bad coloring and then that sheet was cut up by someone and taken home.

Thanks

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Is it possibly printer's scrap? Maybe it was hand cut long ago. It could have been from a sheet that was discarded due to the bad coloring and then that sheet was cut up by someone and taken home.

Thanks

AndyH
I was thinking the same thing. If you want it slabbed, just ask the grading company to label it as "missing color" and "trimmed". If you are going to the National you can ask them in person when you submit it. Otherwise call on the phone.
JimB
Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Mark

with scott forrest, i do think that this card is quite a good deal and quite captivating with the color change.
I'd keep it and do the things suggested by JimB.
all the best and congrats,
barry
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If you want it slabbed, just ask the grading company to label it as "missing color" and "trimmed". If you are going to the National you can ask them in person when you submit it. Otherwise call on the phone.
JimB
I, too, thought it was scrap that was hand cut. If that is the case, and given the fact that it is oversized, would you trim it down to size with a more precision (straighter) cut? After all, the grading company is going to label it "Trimmed" either way so you might as well have a straighter cut.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Frank Wakefield

OPTIONS: (a non-exhaustive list)

1- Keep the card as an object lesson on why one should forgo graded cards; and from now on don't collect graded cards.

2- Send the thing back and ask for a refund if you're unhappy with it; then refrain from buying ungraded cards.

3- Keep the card and be unhappy with it; let it serve as a perpetual reminder to you to never, ever again buy an ungraded card, because you don't care for ungraded cards.

The card has a non-factory, uneven cut. I can't imagine that it is printer's scrap, that's just wishful thinking.

If it was mine, I'd think I paid too much for it, and that it is just fine as it is... paying to have it graded would be overspending some more, and a waste of money. I could well see what it is without it being in a slab, as can you. I don't see back up there in the prior posts where someone says they have no clue as to what it is, but if it were slabbed then they'd know.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Mark Peavey

No, I wouldn't trim it again. I'm probably just going to keep it for now, without grading. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

It's a decent little error for the price, trimmed or not. I'm not getting the scrap vibe from it, but it's definitely a missing color card. I'd keep it if you like it for what it is, if not list it as an error and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
If you bought it to sell and you don't think it will grade like you wish it would, return it. If you bought it because you like it and want to keep it in your collection don't. Pretty simple IMO. It just depends on what your plans for the card are.

+1
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I can't imagine that it is printer's scrap, that's just wishful thinking.
+1
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Glyn Parson

Default MANY of the missing color cards

seem to be hand cut. i know i had a number a few years ago when you really got no to very little premium and all seemed to be hand cut a long time ago.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd keep it as-is. I wouldn't bother with slabbing, unless they would slab as missing color or wrong color. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I definetly wouldn't trim it more to even out the handcut edge. That edge is part of its appeal to an error collector.

Steve B
Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Ron Rice

Default Nicholls

I don't see why some feel it is a missing colors card. Look at this one for $25 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...#ht_553wt_1185

It looks similar to yours, except a little brighter.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Mark Peavey

There is actually a big difference between the two. The one you refer to is definitely blue. Mine is definitely gray, and a much darker gray than it appears to be in my scan. If you look at it in the completed listings on ebay, that scan is a much better representation of how dark the sky really is. And, I never said it was missing color in the first place. I simply stated that it was a color variation, and asked for opinions on how this particular variation might have happened.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
JimB
I asked SGC if they would label my card as a color variation (The card on the right)

I got this email back from SGC (Bob Luce):
" Unfortunately, we can not note your T206 Bob Groom as a color variation on our label. To reduce potential liabilities, we have decided to only label 100% indisputable color variations. We will leave any subtle variations to be sorted out by seller and buyer in the marketplace."

I, too, believe the card could come back as altered because of a bad top. So I have decided to keep it raw.