NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default SGC Moving Update

As some might know SGC grading is currently moving offices. I spoke with Michael Goldberg, from SGC, this morning about it. They want to assure everyone that there are no issues and this is a normal business situation that will be better for them as a company. They are not behind on their grading, I am told. ....Here is a message from them which I am happily posting on their behalf-

SGC Moving Update

Over the course of the next few days (10/26/12 to 11/1/12), we will be moving our company to a new location about 30 minutes/25 miles from our existing Parsippany location.

There are many reasons we decided to make this move. Mainly, by reducing our overhead we will to be able to invest significantly in major improvements to our website, data entry system, registry, population report, holders/labels as well as development of other products & services we hope to offer in the future.

Our new physical and mailing address is:

SGC
8-E Easy Street
Bound Brook NJ 08805

Our existing phone number and fax numbers will remain the same after 11/1/2012, but from 10/26/2012 until 11/1/2012 please use the following phone & fax numbers:

Phone: 732-893-1888 (Temporary)
Fax: 732-893-1898 (Temporary)

We do not expect delays in processing and completing orders as everyone has been working diligently to keep ahead due to the impending move. Our customers are very important to us, so if there are any delay issues, please contact us and we will work to ensure satisfaction.

Also, we are trying to complete the move before the arrival of the impending hurricane/storm, but please keep in mind that during the moving period there may be weather related outages to our website and registry.

We hope to have the majority of our business services up and running within the next 48 hours and appreciate your patience and understanding during this period.

Thank you!

SGC

Last edited by Leon; 10-26-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Didnt realize Michael Goldberg still worked for SGC?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Default one possible issue...

Improvements would be good... but to holders/labels...

...a change to the look of the holders and/or flips may cause many to have to submit for reholdering for consistency purposes.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Michael

has been back, mostly behind the scenes for a while. One of their few positives from last year in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My understanding is that Michael has been there for the last few months on a consulting (but seems like regular work otherwise) basis. I believe he and the management are working towards a permanent position for him. That's all I know on that subject.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Wow, Bound Brook is down the road from me. Maybe I could drive over submissions and pick them up in person now. I wonder if they are hiring?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Improvements would be good... but to holders/labels...

...a change to the look of the holders and/or flips may cause many to have to submit for reholdering for consistency purposes.
From what I heard they were looking at a new supplier of plastic for their slabs with the ultimate goal of making their standard slab look the same but reduce the thickness.

I know the new deeper holder (same thickness as the current standard stabs) is excellent and while most cards for it are modern is a big improvement over the PSA deep slab or anything on the market. I really like how they did it, here is a modern example, you can tell its deeper by looking at the groves on the back-

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

They must be doing well, as they are moving to Easy Street.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

That other tpg moved to Sleazy St long ago.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Marvellous Mark

Default ...in transit?

I would feel a bit better about the move if between SCG and USPS one of the two knew where my cards are!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I wonder if they are hiring?

Been wanting that job for a few yrs now. Someday possibly?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Jonathan Steele

Indeed. I've got a handful that I want to send in on their $7 special, but with the address change and Frankenstorm, I don't get a warm fuzzy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvelli View Post
I would feel a bit better about the move if between SCG and USPS one of the two knew where my cards are!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
Indeed. I've got a handful that I want to send in on their $7 special, but with the address change and Frankenstorm, I don't get a warm fuzzy about it.
I sent in a nice large shipment Wednesday to the old address... should be there today. Wasn't really happy to hear about the address change AFTER I shipped.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Keep 'em dry SGC!

I have a small sub at SGC.
They arrived in Parsippany last week.
I sure hope the cards on site (not just mine, but everyone's) are going to be kept dry and all the SGC folks are kept safe...cards are replaceable even if no one wants to go through that hassle.

Best wishes SGC!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Peter F

It's kind of weird that they moved to Bound Brook, NJ which is a low lying area that is prone to flooding during heavy rains...and their move was scheduled as a storm is coming.

Hope everyone and everything will be safe.

And happy to hear Michael is back. good guy.

Peter
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Peter,

I was surprised to hear they went for Bound Brook too. They must have gotten a heck of deal with rent. Hopefully they aren't near the flood zones too. It's almost a certainty Bound Brook will flood with this storm.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

While it is true that the downtown area of Bound Brook is subject to constant flooding with heavy rains, I don't think the new offices will see much if any flooding. For anyone local, it looks like the new address is behind the UPS facility. On the other hand, the new offices should only be about 2 miles from the local minor league stadium.

Photo taken last year after Irene

DJ

P.S. Any chance SGC will give us a "welcome to the neighborhood" walk in special?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Ken McMillan

See this week will be the first annual NYC/SGC prewar cardboard boat regatta starting when "Sandy" hist the shore.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Mich@el Goldberg

Default SGC Moving Update - 10/28/2012

Due to severe weather in our area we will be closed for business tomorrow, Monday, 10/29/2012.

We are still in the process of completing the move to our new location in Bound Brook, New Jersey.

During this period, some features of our website are unavailable. These include access to the online submission form/submission status, population report and editing Registry sets. These features should hopefully be available on Tuesday 10/30 or by Wednesday 10/31.

For any questions that can't wait until Wednesday 10/31, please PM me directly through the Net54 Forum or contact Earl Johnson (user name - Earlsworld) or SGC Staff (user name - SGC) through the SGC message board.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

Michael Goldberg
SGC

PS - For those that are wondering, I am currently back at SGC on a consulting basis. I have been working behind the scenes and at major shows to help contribute to our customers' satisfaction, and the continued growth & success of our company. Thanks to all for the kind words.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Mich@el Goldberg

Default Re: Packages shipped to SGC

We are still getting all of our mail from all shipping companies and the USPS, although we may be behind a few days due to the move and the upcoming severe weather.

We plan to handle the orders in an expedited fashion to account for any processing delays.

If you have any concerns please call Earl Johnson, Bill Cengeri or myself at the office on Wednesday or thereafter and we be happy to speak with you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Michael Goldberg
SGC
Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

I have two submissions at SGC...one was showing on the website before it crashed and one was never loaded. It's been over ten days so I will say here that I am quite concerned over that second invoice.

I think it's amazing that SGC did not announce they were moving. It's obvious they still wanted the sales but at what cost on their end? Really crappy on their part. Guess they will just simply blame the hurricane instead of NOT telling us collectors that they were moving facilities and submissions would be delayed
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Mich@el Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemountain View Post
I have two submissions at SGC...one was showing on the website before it crashed and one was never loaded. It's been over ten days so I will say here that I am quite concerned over that second invoice.

I think it's amazing that SGC did not announce they were moving. It's obvious they still wanted the sales but at what cost on their end? Really crappy on their part. Guess they will just simply blame the hurricane instead of NOT telling us collectors that they were moving facilities and submissions would be delayed
PM sent
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I made 2 submissions as well. One is a Next Day and the other is a Wild Card Special. They were received on 10/24. The Next Day was entered but the Wild Card was not. I did not notice there was an announcement of their moving or I would submitted another time. I would complain but I need them more than they need me. I am sure they will get everything straightened out.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Mich@el Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I made 2 submissions as well. One is a Next Day and the other is a Wild Card Special. They were received on 10/24. The Next Day was entered but the Wild Card was not. I did not notice there was an announcement of their moving or I would submitted another time. I would complain but I need them more than they need me. I am sure they will get everything straightened out.
PM Sent
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Moving closer to me. Now just twenty minutes away. Easy Street is in an industrial park just off Route 22 and nowhere near the downtown that has been subject to some devastating flooding in the past.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I sent in a nice large shipment Wednesday to the old address... should be there today. Wasn't really happy to hear about the address change AFTER I shipped.
+1 I hear ya
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
+1 I hear ya
I spoke with Michael just a few minutes ago. All packages ARE being delivered to the old and new addresses. They are being cared for as they always have been, which is good. They couldn't mention the move previously due to some unforeseen issues with the phone company and their scheduling. I am confident everything will be fine. SGC is taking care to get orders out in a timely manner too. Michael told me that are actually ahead of schedule on the orders they have in house. I think if we give them a few days to a week, and let the storm get out of the way, everything will be fine. I do have an emergency (cell) number for Michael so if anyone has an absolute emergency please PM me. However, if you are just looking for a package that was sent we should give them a day or two to let the storm pass by.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default perspective

Here's to hoping that shipping around some cardboard doesn't qualify to anyone as an emergency...

Best wishes to all in the path of the storm.

If disaster hits, it's likely to involve more than just cardboard. Hopefully Sandy spares lives and property...but that's never up to us.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Ken McMillan

Hopefully they won't be soaking any cards.:-)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default My submission is in NJ

I sent mine registered mail; looks like a "notice" was left that they've arrived today.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Mich@el Goldberg

Default SGC Moving/Storm Update - 10/31/12

Due to the severe weather we experienced and the ongoing power outages across New Jersey, SGC's old and new offices (Parsippany & Bound Brook) are not back open for business yet.

Also, some features of our website are still not working as the servers were affected by the power outages. These features include pop report access, submission status, online submissions and editing registry sets. We are working to get these features back up as soon as possible.

We do apologize for any inconvenience to our customers, and hope to reopen the offices and complete our move ASAP.

If anyone has a specific concern that can't wait until we are reopened for business, please PM me through this message board and I will respond ASAP.

We wish all of our customers & board members (and their families), as well as all of the disaster relief employees, a safe recovery period.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Michael Goldberg
SGC
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thanks for the update; take care.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Alan U

Michael,

Thank you for the updates. I had a submission I was wondering about, but you've answered my questions.

-Alan
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Once again Mchael

shows us why he is so important to SGC. Michael you are awesome at customer service, I hope Dave gave you a BIG raise you deserve it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Second notice left

I've got a rather large and (at least for me) valuable package sitting at the Parsippany Post Office. I know that there are big time issues in Jersey, but it is unsettling to see this status on the USPS website: "Notice Left (Business Closed)."

This is the second notice listed in the tracking (the first on Monday, the second yesterday)... I don't know if anyone else has the same issue. I'm assuming that SGC still wasn't open today. I'll try calling tomorrow AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Understand Concern

I can understand your concern. I hope you get an update ASAP.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Marvellous Mark

Default sitting and waiting

My cards are sitting in the Post Office as well, and have been for some time. I have left several calls, starting last Friday, with SGC just asking what their timing is to pick them up so that I know it is in their hands. I prefer them sitting at SGC rather than in the PO. I have not heard a thing back from them. They have been quite good at posting here telling everyone not to worry, but it remains unsettling and frustrating with no return calls and no real info given here on Net54, other than everything will be back to normal Wednesday. My calendar says Wednesday has passed...
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will get updates as much as possible for you guys from SGC, tomorrow earlier a.m., if we haven't heard something by then.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Mich@el Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I've got a rather large and (at least for me) valuable package sitting at the Parsippany Post Office. I know that there are big time issues in Jersey, but it is unsettling to see this status on the USPS website: "Notice Left (Business Closed)."

This is the second notice listed in the tracking (the first on Monday, the second yesterday)... I don't know if anyone else has the same issue. I'm assuming that SGC still wasn't open today. I'll try calling tomorrow AM.
PM sent
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Mich@el Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvelli View Post
My cards are sitting in the Post Office as well, and have been for some time. I have left several calls, starting last Friday, with SGC just asking what their timing is to pick them up so that I know it is in their hands. I prefer them sitting at SGC rather than in the PO. I have not heard a thing back from them. They have been quite good at posting here telling everyone not to worry, but it remains unsettling and frustrating with no return calls and no real info given here on Net54, other than everything will be back to normal Wednesday. My calendar says Wednesday has passed...
PM Sent
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Mich@el Goldberg

Default Re: SGC Moving/Weather Closure;Server Issues

Hi everyone. After being without cable/internet/cellular service since last night and just getting it back now, I wanted to bring everyone up to speed as to our company status.

All of us at SGC want to send out our best wishes to those affected by the storm. All of our employees were affected, and many of us still are without power, phone service, gas, etc., but are relatively OK otherwise.

We were in the process of moving from Parsippany, NJ to Bound Brook NJ, and planned to have the move completed by 10/31. Unfortunately, the storm hit our area, and both towns where our offices are located had massive power outages. In addition, access to our servers has been extremely limited, which had an impact on many of the features on our website (online submissions, pop reports, registry edits, submission status). Power is being restored throughout our area, and we are hopeful that early next week we will see progress in our office locations.

Once power is fully restored, we should be up and running within a day or two. We hope to meet expected turnaround times on as many orders as possible.

All orders already received are locked up safely and securely. Any orders in transit, or on hold with the carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx), are being held in a secure lockup as well. The people who deliver these packages to us do understand what we do for a living and convey that to their managers directly so that our packages are well cared for. If you have an order you want to send to us, you can feel safe doing so. I would recommend insurance and a tracking number, as always, and you can ship to either location as listed on our website. In the future, we will want all packages sent to the Bound Brook location.

At this time, we are extending the October specials (Next Day Spec., Wild Card Spec. and 1970-Pres. Spec.) through the end of November. We feel this works best with regard to many of the inquiries we received over the past few days. These are actually three of our most popular specials as well.

We do have a representative at the Shriner's show this weekend in Wilmington, Massachusetts accepting submissions. If you are planning to attend the show, please stop by and say hello to Bill Cengeri (Business Development) and feel free to drop off an order if you like.

I have been trying to personally respond to all messages and posts. I care about our company and our customers, and want everyone to know that all of us at SGC appreciate your patience, understanding and loyalty.

Thank you.

Michael Goldberg
SGC

Last edited by Goldberg; 11-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Marvellous Mark

Default all's well

That's the best news I have gotten all week!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
qu@n nguy3n

michael--please update the thread when you guys are physically receiving packages from usps/fedex/ups again. i want to send an order in, but instead of it sitting at USPS for a week i feel more comfortable holding onto it until you guys are operational.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Anyone have a contact number for SGC? Seems all the phone lines are down.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Anyone have a contact number for SGC? Seems all the phone lines are down.
Shoot me a PM.....I have one....Hopefully it's not just checking status of a package as we have been told that things are locked up and safe and they got hit pretty hard with the storm and the move all at once....but PM me...
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Good thing this is an SGC friendly board.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Good thing this is an SGC friendly board.
I try to be friendly to all of the legit grading companies....and everyone else for that matter. But the guys at SGC and Beckett are good hobby friends and I help when I can....
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I try to be friendly to all of the legit grading companies....and everyone else for that matter. But the guys at SGC and Beckett are good hobby friends and I help when I can....
+1
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I live about 5 miles from the new sgc location and to be honest, things are still very hectic around here. My town still has about 20% of the town without power and I know several people without phone service. Schools are still closed and halloween has been canceled due to safety concerns over down trees and telephone poles. And we are not even in an area of NJ that was hit that bad. I would recommend remaining patient as it will take some time to get back to normal. I know some areas near me are not expected to get power for another 7-10 days.

Dj
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I live about 5 miles from the new sgc location and to be honest, things are still very hectic around here. My town still has about 20% of the town without power and I know several people without phone service. Schools are still closed and halloween has been canceled due to safety concerns over down trees and telephone poles. And we are not even in an area of NJ that was hit that bad. I would recommend remaining patient as it will take some time to get back to normal. I know some areas near me are not expected to get power for another 7-10 days.

Dj
And that is without consideration for what this storm that is coming Wednesday morning might do. The coastal towns that started cleaning up might be doing it all for nothing at this point, the flooding could be just as bad due to erosion and the wind gusts are expected to reach 50mph. Seems the forecast for this area keeps getting worse by the hour
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS