NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Default Low bid regret

It happens to all of us. You see something and love it, then mistakenly misjudge the pull it will have on someone else as well and screw up your bid.

I stupidly put a snipe lower than I would have paid and lost this causing a solid week of griping about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-1920s-Shoe...vip=true&rt=nc

It would have looked really cool in my card display...bummer.

What do you regret you didn't go higher on lately?

Make me feel better, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:56 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Personally, I have a difficult time believing that is Shoeless Joe, especially since he was a left-handed hitter.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Well this is working on the "make me feel better" front already, lol.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Be thankful.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I just thought of something else.....

There's a player in uniform standing with the suited gentlemen in the background. Could THAT be Joe?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I think that both players are Joe Jackson. And that Beckett knows what they are doing.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I just thought of something else.....

There's a player in uniform standing with the suited gentlemen in the background. Could THAT be Joe?

Steve
Maybe, but him not being the subject makes it really not desirable to me.

I am taking a lesson here. I was comforted by a flip and did not do basic research to remember something I already knew...righty thrower, lefty hitter.

A perfect reminder to myself to follow my own advice and research everything...then do it again.

This was actually an awesome thread.

Last edited by JustinD; 11-01-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Maybe, but him not being the subject makes it really not desirable to me.

I am taking a lesson here. I was comforted by a flip and did not do basic research to remember something I already knew...righty thrower, lefty hitter.

A perfect reminder to myself to follow my own advice and research everything...then do it again.

This was actually an awesome thread.

I was just trying to be nice in regards to Beckett, instead of saying they blew it with a mis-identification.

I completely agree with you that the photo isn't worth the price since Joe is not its subject. I do wish Beckett had been more clear with the Joe ID (assuming the player in the background is in-fact Joe). If it isn't him, then.........

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

I was an under bidder on a few cards over the last couple years that have exploded in price. The most memorable being a 68 ryan psa 9 that closed under 6k on ebay about 2 years back that is probably worth 3 times that now. Obviously I wish I had stepped up at the time. But you know what they say about hindsight.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM

I think that is Jackson's shadow in the right-hand corner.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by celoknob View Post
I think that is Jackson's shadow in the right-hand corner.
i regret only bidding $420,000 on the pwcc 1952 mantle psa 8 that sold in november of 2015...as it just sold for 1 million today....the year is 2031...oh wait? did my time machine work? if its 2015 i still got a shot!.....so i dont regret the underbid....i can still resolve that one regret in life...yeaaaa!

not sure how many gigawatts i need to get back to 2031 for my flux..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah, after a bunch of years the list of stuff I used to regret not buying is really long. I say used to, because I gave up letting it bug me a few years ago.

I remember the dealer I hung out at buying a nice 52 Mantle for something like 900 which may have been a record at the time? I could have had a fairly average one then for around 3-500.
The stuff that still bugs me wouldn't be as expensive today,(Mostly) but just isn't around anywhere. Fortunately it's a handful of stuff and would have been a major risk for me to buy at the time. - 1912 RedSox ws pennant for 100, A supposed 66 Hemi charger largely apart but with a 440 for maybe 5-600 maybe less. Ok that one would be more than the Mantle restored, but at the time I didn't know how to tell from just the body and the VIN tags were off and stored as the car was sort of being parted/junked. I was buying the windshield and the guy offered me the whole car.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Jeff

Never doubt the experts.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Matt

Jesus, the amount of opportunities I have blown in epic fashion. So many debacles. Some highlights...

I passed on a high grade Ruth RC once...at 15k.

I passed on the most beautiful Mantle 51B rookie I ever saw...at 30k.

I even passed on buying Apple stock when it was relatively low...and this after knowing in my gut that the company would kick major ass, (I was inspired by all that Jobs was going to do, when he and I spoke at length on a bus ride-- it was a private bus, long story). Point is even then, I managed to pass.

So feel better. Because I've blown it way worse. Actually, going to eat a few pizzas now and slip into a dark, dark depression. Adios!

Last edited by MattyC; 11-01-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I even passed on buying Apple stock when it was relatively low...and this after knowing in my gut that the company would kick major ass, (I was inspired by all that Jobs was going to do, when he and I spoke at length on a bus ride-- it was a private bus, long story). Point is even then, I managed to pass.
That sounds like a good story (and a painful one, ouch).

If we meet I need to hear that one.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
That sounds like a good story (and a painful one, ouch).

If we meet I need to hear that one.
I agree. Perhaps we can hear that one over a couple of beers at the Net54 dinner at next year's national.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Bob Davies

Default I Blew It...

... by marrying two of my wives. Given what they cost me, I could have bought a whole pile of '52 Topps Mantles at the time... and they would have brought me greater joy.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
... by marrying two of my wives. Given what they cost me, I could have bought a whole pile of '52 Topps Mantles at the time... and they would have brought me greater joy.
Bob wins.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 AM
JB

Default not him....

Cant be him....he has shoes on!

rest easy!

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I have plenty of High Bid regrets...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Dave H@rford

I had just graduated from college, on to further schooling. My wife and I were just married, and I went to New York to meet some "family".

One of my wife's uncles was a card collector and a lawyer for the NFL. He knew I had a large 1970-1990 collection, and brought me to an office area where he had his collection. He had a massive collection, mainly focused on autographed jerseys, but with sets and singles of all eras, but was just starting to downsize it. The card he offered me was a T206 Honus Wagner (I had to assume it was genuine given his collection), and PSA was non-existent in 1990. The card was nearly complete, missing one corner. He had started looking for a buyer about 2-weeks prior without luck. He was asking $20k for the card, although he would go lower as I was "now family". I quickly thought of how much my entire collection was worth and if there was any way to come up with the money; my wife quickly laughed at me. Her uncle sold the card about 3 months later for $25k; one of the sales he regrets to this day.

Dave
Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by harford20 View Post
i had just graduated from college, on to further schooling. My wife and i were just married, and i went to new york to meet some "family".

One of my wife's uncles was a card collector and a lawyer for the nfl. He knew i had a large 1970-1990 collection, and brought me to an office area where he had his collection. He had a massive collection, mainly focused on autographed jerseys, but with sets and singles of all eras, but was just starting to downsize it. The card he offered me was a t206 honus wagner (i had to assume it was genuine given his collection), and psa was non-existent in 1990. The card was nearly complete, missing one corner. He had started looking for a buyer about 2-weeks prior without luck. He was asking $20k for the card, although he would go lower as i was "now family". I quickly thought of how much my entire collection was worth and if there was any way to come up with the money; my wife quickly laughed at me. Her uncle sold the card about 3 months later for $25k; one of the sales he regrets to this day.

Dave
ouch!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

been looking for a joe Jackson my self, saw this and didn't bid on it. cant see his face, & hes batting from the wrong side. Maybe he was catching that day and is behind the mask..... I think u lucked out not winning this.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Paul S

Maybe Jackson is the guy lying on the ground just to the left of the batter.

Last edited by pbspelly; 11-03-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
Maybe Jackson is the guy lying on the ground just to the left of the batter.
Jackson went to the restroom but he's at the ballpark!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:03 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jackson went to the restroom but he's at the ballpark!!
Nah... that's Joe peeking out the upstairs window in the house just over the batter's left shoulder.