NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default East Coast National - White Plains, NY

Is anybody from the board planning to attend this show? I was wondering if anybody has been to the East Coast National show in the past, and if so, how was it?

I am trying to decide as to whether I should go on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, if at all .

I went to the last White Plains show in search of some of the tougher Jackie Robinson (Post-war I know) cards (Bond Bread Jackie Robinsons, 1950 R423, Berk Ross, Hocus Focus, and 1952 Brooklyn Dodgers Schedule Card), but was pretty much told I was searching for the impossible, and nobody would have them there. I'm hoping the East Coast National may prove otherwise.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Phil Garry

Having gone to many of these WP shows, to me the East Coast National brings in a few more dealers but the material is not all that different. I would probably only recommend going on Thursday (opening day) as anything worth buying will likely be scooped up by the end of the day unless it is drastically overpriced.

My biggest issue with all of the big card shows these days including the National (actually most of all the National) is that the dealers (and their friends/"helpers" who are not dealers and HAVE NOT PAID for this opportunity) not only have the chance to walk around before the show is opened to the public but even go so far as to be able to walk around THE DAY BEFORE the show is open to the public. Rest assured, almost no bargains make it through to the time that the show initially opens to the rest of us (including those that paid a lot of extra money for VIP admission to enter the show early).
Old 08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I guess I figured as much. I'll probably drop in on Thursday if I do decide to go.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I hope to make it down there on Sunday...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 PM

I don't usually find too much that I'm interested in. Last time I went I had my smart phone so every time a dealer quoted an outrageous price I showed him VCP. Didn't help. The autograph guests are always priced reasonably though and usually take the time for photos and a few words. That's my favorite part of the WP shows.

Can't beat JSA and SGC on site either. I just wish there was some new blood in the dealers. Pretty much the same tables for years.

Last edited by packs; 08-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Thursday Night

It has been a long time since I have been to a show at White Plains.

I plan on going tonight....I was inspired by Carlton's photos from the National.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Info about the show

http://nyshows.org/White_Plains_Shows_Future_Show.html

I'm hoping to go tonight!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Very nice - I'll be there around 5.. maybe see some of you there!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Very nice - I'll be there around 5.. maybe see some of you there!
Shaun,
email me at danp306@gmail.com or call 860 384-9153 when you get there. I should be there around 5pm also.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Me Too

I will be there around 5 as well. I am wearing a Kalamazoo Fire Department
T Shirt....Say Hi if you run into me.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Weaker than last year. Saw some nice candy bars and some wheat cent cards. And some overpriced junk from the National (which was also in White Plains last summer).
Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
My biggest issue with all of the big card shows these days including the National (actually most of all the National) is that the dealers (and their friends/"helpers" who are not dealers and HAVE NOT PAID for this opportunity) not only have the chance to walk around before the show is opened to the public but even go so far as to be able to walk around THE DAY BEFORE the show is open to the public. Rest assured, almost no bargains make it through to the time that the show initially opens to the rest of us (including those that paid a lot of extra money for VIP admission to enter the show early).
I beg to differ. There are lots of opportunities as the National progresses if you are relentless in covering the floor all day, every day. Some of the best items I got were on Friday, stuff that either walked in and was being resold or items that the dealers hadn't put out before then, or stuff that was just plain buried in the mass of material. There are definitely deals to be had the first day but the National is so big that it is impossible to "loot" it fully on preview day, even if you hit the floor at 8:00 sharp. But you gotta work the show to find stuff. The National is a long march, not a sprint. I was absolutely exhausted every evening with aching feet from covering so much floor for 8 hours or more.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Danny Gr|mes

ill be there sunday
Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Christopher Herman

I'll see you fellow Net54'ers on Friday. I'll be at the SGC table getting like a dozen various W series cards graded --- and hopefully finding some interesting cards also. Good luck all.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Jason

Default just got back...

place wwas hopping today (saturday)...probably due to the autograph guests...lots of nice vintage to see, but the usual lack of price tags gives the impression that people are just there to show off...but a few tables of some neat stuff. Left a submission with SGC...didn't know the guys there this time...has there been some personenl turnover the past 12 months?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Phil Garry

Made the trip to the show today. SGC did a great job with my on-site grading submission. Also, very convenient to submit some photos to Beckett. Finally, dropped off a few auction consignments with Brian Dwyer, who was top-notch as usual. Otherwise, the show was not at all worthwhile from a buying standpoint for me. As Jason mentioned, the aisles were very crowded and the primary focus of the attendees appeared to be the autograph guests.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 08-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Steve

I agree with Phil...the show was pretty crowded from the start this morning. I was pleased to have SGC grading on-site...the card I brought with me has great sentimental value, and I never wanted to send it off for fear that it might get lost in transit. The $20 same-day special couldn't be beat...holder just looks nice, and I didn't care about the grade on this one...

The show didn't have much to offer in terms of vintage material...mostly the same stuff from last year. I was much more interested in the auction preview items that a few houses were sporting.

Steve
Old 08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
FredYoung

Left a submission with SGC...didn't know the guys there this time..

Anybody know who was there from SGC? I would have thought Michael would have been one of them.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Phil Garry

Earl & Steve & Scott were there from SGC. Michael no longer works there.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:25 PM

My father went for me today since I'm on the West Coast now. I got a great call from him this morning letting me know that JSA authenticated my Grover Cleveland Alexander signed baseball. This was the pickup of a lifetime for me considering the price I paid for it. Also authenticated Babe Didrickson's signature.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
FredYoung

Earl & Steve & Scott were there from SGC. Michael no longer works there.

Hi Phil---

I thought Michael G just went back w/ the same position Sean had? What happened & when? I did not know this & have not heard it discussed!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Nice selection of beanie babies
Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Was going to take a ride over tomorrow, White Plains is about 35 minutes from my house, going to be looking for t206 commons. Is it worth the ride?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Phil Garry

I did see some T206 commons there, probably worth the trip if that is what you are after.

Michael was back very briefly at SGC a second time, don't know the details about what happened but he is not there any more.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I did see some T206 commons there, probably worth the trip if that is what you are after.

Michael was back very briefly at SGC a second time, don't know the details about what happened but he is not there any more.
My understanding is Michael wasn't happy with his employment and left the company a day before the National. I believe they have a gentleman named Earl, who seems very mature and capable, taking his place. He is super nice and easy to work with, from the 1-2 times I have done things with him. The graders have remained the same except for Derek going to Heritage. regards
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Paul

I was there today, and conducted a ton of "business", including:

1. Traded a group of E92s for this E90-1 Cobb (see B/S/T):

2. Dropped off three signed T206s, a signed Grove Golden Press, and my signed Callahan Connie Mack for JSA/SGC one-day treatment. Will pick them up tomorrow.

3. Had SGC encapsulate my Jeter 3000 ticket.

4. Submitted for SGC crossover my T206 McGraw BVG 5 -- hoping for an SGC 60.

5. Met the new crew working at SGC -- they were all extremely competent and adhere to the level of customer service I have grown to expect from my grading company.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
FredYoung

Thanks to all for the SGC update, Michael coming back & then leaving again both puzzles me & causes concern over SGC's direction.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:22 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

seems like there is an old thread on every topic....
resurrecting this from 2011.....

East Coast National coming up quick...

Is the East Coast National worthwhile for tobacco? As a comparison, I do think the Philly show is pretty good for the old stuff. How does the East Coast National compare to the Philly show?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 08-09-2023, 08:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I recommend definitely go. There might not be great bargains to be had, but real top notch dealers and is well attended but not insane. I never regretted driving up to one of these.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I recommend definitely go. There might not be great bargains to be had, but real top notch dealers and is well attended but not insane. I never regretted driving up to one of these.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:01 AM
Drew W@i$e

Definitely go. I suspect dealers who didn't do well at the National may be more motivated to sell.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:43 PM

Default East coast Natl

I have been many times to WP and the East Coast National specifically, and for me, it's been hit-or-miss for sure. Every now and then I find something good....but one needs to have reasonable expectations.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:31 PM
Jonathan Sterling

If you have never been then definitely go. It is one of the better shows in the area. I go every few years mostly just to say hello to old friends. The Philly show next month is also fun to attend. Most of the rarest cards I have purchased were at card shows. Never know what can turn up.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:10 PM

Default East Coast National

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Is anybody from the board planning to attend this show? I was wondering if anybody has been to the East Coast National show in the past, and if so, how was it?

I am trying to decide as to whether I should go on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, if at all .

I went to the last White Plains show in search of some of the tougher Jackie Robinson (Post-war I know) cards (Bond Bread Jackie Robinsons, 1950 R423, Berk Ross, Hocus Focus, and 1952 Brooklyn Dodgers Schedule Card), but was pretty much told I was searching for the impossible, and nobody would have them there. I'm hoping the East Coast National may prove otherwise.
FYI, Thursday is only for dealer early setup (4-7). Show opens to the public on Friday 3-7 (1-7 for early “sneak peak” at a $25 cost).

Last edited by Vintageclout; 08-10-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-11-2023, 04:48 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
FYI, Thursday is only for dealer early setup (4-7). Show opens to the public on Friday 3-7 (1-7 for early “sneak peak” at a $25 cost).
is there a full set up during the "sneak peak"? or will the show be at less than 100% dealer tables?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 08-11-2023, 05:31 AM
Jim Reynolds

White Plains….wow. I recall the days as a young collector when I would get my mom to drive me to White Plains to attend the Gloria Rothstein card show there.

Good times.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:43 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I suspect the only dealers who didn't do well at the national ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Definitely go. I suspect dealers who didn't do well at the National may be more motivated to sell.
were the ones that weren't there! I didn't hear any sales disappointments from the number that I spoke with.

That said, I will be set up at the East Coast National and invite all Net 54 members to stop by and say hello.

This is the first time since the Rothstein shows that there will be 2 floors of dealer tables. I am looking forward to a good show.

Howard Chasser

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:23 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
were the ones that weren't there! I didn't hear any sales disappointments from the number that I spoke with.

That said, I will be set up at the East Coast National and invite all Net 54 members to stop by and say hello.

This is the first time since the Rothstein shows that there will be 2 floors of dealer tables. I am looking forward to a good show.

Howard Chasser
Will do Howard. Isn't this weekend's show in Tarrytown?
Old 08-11-2023, 09:34 AM

Default White Plains

Not in Tarrytown. The show is back at the traditional White Plains Convention Center. This will be the first show there since Pre-COVID.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:37 AM

Default East Coast National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
is there a full set up during the "sneak peak"? or will the show be at less than 100% dealer tables?
My best guess is the show should be close to 100% “ready to go” by 1:00 Friday.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:24 AM
Jay Shumsky

What are the dates of the show? Is it this weekend or next weekend (18th-20th)?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
What are the dates of the show? Is it this weekend or next weekend (18th-20th)?
Next weekend: 18th - 20th
Old 08-11-2023, 04:42 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I’ll be there with my kids on Saturday to drop some items off at SGC.

Last edited by refz; 08-11-2023 at 04:49 PM. Reason: blah
Old 08-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Go

It's usually a very good show. I'll be there Sunday.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Hunter T4rn1tza

Gonna be there all day Friday, haven't been to a show before. Looking forward to meeting some people from here
Old 08-12-2023, 10:50 AM
Howard Chasser

Default As already mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycee View Post
Will do Howard. Isn't this weekend's show in Tarrytown?
Show is Friday the 18th through Sunday the 20th at the Westchester county center in White Plains NY

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.