NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Default Congrats Jim Thome

Just wanted to send out congratulations to Jim Thome for hitting home run #600 last night. I knew Thome briefly during the time he was a minor leaguer in the Indians organization. He is a great guy and has done a lot of charity work in the Peoria, Illinois area.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...1&c_id=min&v=2
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Just wanted to send out congratulations to Jim Thome for hitting home run #600 last night. I knew Thome briefly during the time he was a minor leaguer in the Indians organization. He is a great guy and has done a lot of charity work in the Peoria, Illinois area.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...1&c_id=min&v=2
+1 on congrats to Big Jim. It's really a shame how the HR numbers have been tarnished. 600 natural HRs should be a huge deal. Seems less special than it should.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
+1 on congrats to Big Jim. It's really a shame how the HR numbers have been tarnished. 600 natural HRs should be a huge deal. Seems less special than it should.
I very much agree. Due to the era, we will truly never know who was clean. That is one of the reasons I stated the charity work that I know he has done for his hometown since he has been a MLB player.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Steven

Conrats to Thome, even against my Tigers. Agreed, the era is tarnished. I though KG jr got hosed as well...these may be the 2 greatest clean players of this era...but who knows?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Brian T.

Great accomplishment for a great guy. I'd like to see him get 610 to pass Sosa.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Barry Sloate

I suspect he will retire at the end of this season, since he will be 41 and has reached his goal. Might finish with 605, but probably won't catch Sosa.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Dean

What has baffled me is hearing some sports Talking Heads question whether Thome is HOF worthy. While it is true that he was not a defensive star in his career, and will likely retire without a ring, that 600 Club is pretty serious business. Up until recently only three guys had a membership. Their names are Babe, Hank and Willie. You may have heard of them.

Unless someone can offer up some sort of reason to think that Thome is not clean I don't see how he isn't a first ballot selection. I think it would be wrong to hold him back because he played during the "steroid era". We've had plenty of mud slung. None has landed on Thome. Not from Canseco, or Caminiti, or the Mitchell Report.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Seems like a good guy

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "I have Jim Thome's rookie card." Strange, huh?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "I have Jim Thome's rookie card." Strange, huh?
That's because they are only sold in lots of 10,000.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Steven

Dean:
Couldnt agree more. If no muds has landed on this man then he should definitely by 1st ballot...the talk should be more of where does he rank as an all-time slugger not HOF or not....this era needs to end and Griffer Jr and Thome will help.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Congrats to Jim....Anyways, there should be ZERO debate about HOF status. Sure thing at this point..Even if he'd retired two years ago, I'd say he was a sure thing, without debate..
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
What has baffled me is hearing some sports Talking Heads question whether Thome is HOF worthy. While it is true that he was not a defensive star in his career, and will likely retire without a ring, that 600 Club is pretty serious business. Up until recently only three guys had a membership. Their names are Babe, Hank and Willie. You may have heard of them.

Unless someone can offer up some sort of reason to think that Thome is not clean I don't see how he isn't a first ballot selection. I think it would be wrong to hold him back because he played during the "steroid era". We've had plenty of mud slung. None has landed on Thome. Not from Canseco, or Caminiti, or the Mitchell Report.
Being from the Peoria, IL area, we have had this debate all day in the office. I think that Thome is a certain Hall of Famer, but not on the first ballot. I think that the first ballot should be reserved for the all-time greats of an era such as a Willie Mays, or a Ted Williams.

Fwiw, there have been strong rumors here, and I have seen some on the internet, that Thome may be traded to Phillies to reunite with Charlie Manuel for their playoff run. It makes sense on some levels, but you never know.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Congratulations on 600. HOF for sure
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Fred

I had him on my roto team when he hit #600! 3/4, 2R, 2HR and 5 wonderful RBIs on that beautiful day. Then I dropped him off my team... even though I dropped him off my roster, I'm still a Thome fan!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
I'd had it on my ebay watch list forever and finally bought one the other day, a PSA 10 '91 Bowman. Overproduced? Sure.

I also bought a wax box of '91 Bowman in my last order from BBCE so maybe I can pull another one or two. I love junk wax, you can't beat ten bucks for a box.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Danny Gr|mes

being a yankee fan i always loved thome for his power, he has my vote for the hall..

Last edited by refz; 08-17-2011 at 03:59 PM.