NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Dan Bretta

Default Ebay Issue After ONE Year

So two years ago I went to an estate sale and picked up a whole collection of 1950-60s Topps cards including stars...I picked out about 300 of them that I thought were in good enough condition to scan and sell on ebay....ALL of them sold. I get an email from a guy a few days ago who said he purchased a 62 Topps card from me in January of 2013 that came back from SGC as "Trimmed" and now he wants a refund, but I have no idea what he even paid for the card, nor can I even look it up. I am convinced this is a childhood collection that never saw the light of day...not a single customer who bought from me had any complaints at all, and I'm sure some of the people who bought from me sent these cards to be graded as a large majority of what I picked was worthy.

When I told him that SGC must have made a mistake he blew up at me saying they don't make mistakes, they are the most "prestigious" of all grading companies..blah blah.

This is a low feedback bidder who doesn't appear to have done anything on ebay since last June....What would you do?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Scott S

I'm thinking you ignore him - after one year, he shouldn't have an eBay / PayPal leg to stand on, so just ignore it. There's a 30 or 60-day return policy or something like that, not lifetime, so you should be fine to let it go, right?

Last edited by scooter729; 02-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

He waited a year to ask for a refund on cards that he bought raw, knowing full well there's an inherent risk that these raw cards could come back "A"?? I surely wouldn't be refunding any money.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default Fugget about it!

After one year it is his problem, not yours.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Jason S!m@nds

+1 to everything above. Make sure you block him as a bidder. I had an angry customer buy something and leave a neg one time just because.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

When I told him that SGC must have made a mistake he blew up at me saying they don't make mistakes, they are the most "prestigious" of all grading companies..blah blah.
sounds like it could be a n54 member here...

i would refund. as a seller i don't hide behind ebay's 45 day protection policy. if a card or autograph i sold comes back trimmed/not authentic i would refund whenever.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Robert Klevens

Block the bozo.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

i would refund. as a seller i don't hide behind ebay's 45 day protection policy. if a card or autograph i sold comes back trimmed/not authentic i would refund whenever.
If it is a Net54 member I will refund...I still have no idea what it sold for, but I trust an N54 member isn't going to screw me.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 02-04-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

I disagree. With that much time that has gone by you have no idea or should be in any way responsible for that card. Just as there are bad sellers, there are bad buyers. Not inferring anything in this situation as I have zero clue...but after a year he owns that card and anything/everything that could have happened to it under his ownership. Who is to day he didn't trim it himself for a better shot at a better grade? The seller has no idea whatsoever. If a buyer can't decide he made a good purchase after 45 fricken days, c'mon. Had it been within the 45 days...and legit...full refund.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 02-04-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM
John

If you really want to know the selling price...

The transaction may be too old for Ebay transaction activity, but I think it will still show in your PayPal history.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I disagree. With that much time that has gone by you have no idea or should be in any way responsible for that card. Just as there are bad sellers, there are bad buyers. Not inferring anything in this situation as I have zero clue...but after a year he owns that card and anything/everything that could have happened to it under his ownership. Who is to day he didn't trim it himself for a better shot at a better grade? The seller has no idea whatsoever. If a buyer can't decide he made a good purchase after 45 fricken days, c'mon. Had it been within the 45 days...and legit...full refund.
This^

Completely agree, you have no idea after all of this time if the "trim" job was done under his watch. Too many unknowns after an entire year.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
If you really want to know the selling price...

The transaction may be too old for Ebay transaction activity, but I think it will still show in your PayPal history.
I don't know if selling history is the same, but I can go back to 2012 in my ebay purchase history.

But a year later? Really?

Would you even know if it was the same card if he returned it?

Or is he even sure if it is the same card? Could have bought multiples and got them confused.

What's next? Buy a 9 graded card, crack it, submit it, and when it comes back a 7 ask for a refund?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
If it is a Net54 member I will refund...I still have no idea what it sold for, but I trust an N54 member isn't going to screw me.
"prestigious SGC" being an n54 member was a joke...

not saying i'd blindly just refund, but i save scans of all my cards. if they've been up on ebay that means it's in my photobucket. i have scans dating back to the geocities site, would be easy to verify if it's the same card. paypal transactions go back years.

the buyer have no recourse in this case, it's really up to you whether you want to give him a refund...he can't do much.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Jeff Lowe

If you get Paypal notifications to your email it will be in there .
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't think I'd refund either unless it's just chump change. The transaction should be in your paypal history, however, so you would be able to look up how much the buyer paid for it.

On a side note, I once purchased an oversized card from a Henry Yee auction. One to two years after the auction ended, I sent the card to Beckett for protection purposes. To my surprise, it came back counterfeit. I contacted Henry about this, and he refunded me most of the purchase, even though I only requested a partial refund. This item was several hundred dollars, so some sellers on ebay still go way beyond the normal expectation. If the situation occurred where I were the seller, I don't know if I would have been as generous.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I couldn't agree more. A few months, I could understand but a year is ridiculous. Just my 2¢.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Jeremy W.

Maybe you could ask for a scan of the card he would like to return? I think that might help you decide.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM

I can understand why many would not, but me, I'd refund it.

I've got a stack of ungraded cards. If I submitted them and had one come back as trimmed, assuming I had records of the transaction, I'd ask for a refund too. The length of time passed wouldn't be a factor, just the condition of the card.

For those citing the amount of time that has passed, if the parties involved were an auction house and you, would you still say that too much time has gone by?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindl View Post
I can understand why many would not, but me, I'd refund it.

I've got a stack of ungraded cards. If I submitted them and had one come back as trimmed, assuming I had records of the transaction, I'd ask for a refund too. The length of time passed wouldn't be a factor, just the condition of the card.

For those citing the amount of time that has passed, if the parties involved were an auction house and you, would you still say that too much time has gone by?
Yes.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Al

Dan I would tell the guy to go pound salt!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM
FredYoung

1 yr--a raw card= ridiculous request.

I couldn't even be sure I hadn't mixed the card up w/ another one in that length of time!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
After one year it is his problem, not yours.
+1. Way too long to qualify as reasonable.

Larry
Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Hank

Customer Service and Responsiveness should be priority #1. If you knew the card was trimmed then I say refund. If no knowledge and it is over a year, I would say use your discretion.

Hope it works out for you!

Hank
Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitysportscards View Post
Customer Service and Responsiveness should be priority #1. If you knew the card was trimmed then I say refund. If no knowledge and it is over a year, I would say use your discretion.

Hope it works out for you!

Hank
If I knew the card was trimmed I wouldn't have sold it, but I don't believe it was trimmed...these cards came out of an estate of a non collector..they were just his cards he bought from packs as a kid from 1958-1963, I'm almost certain of that in how they were found in small stacks by teams with string tied around them, with his stars all in a small card file type of box. The Yaz rookie card was not even pulled as a "star".
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Dan Bretta

And btw I do value customer service I recently refunded a guy who bought a very nice 1968 Milton Bradley Topps card from me that I thought was near mint to mint, but he told me it had a small surface crease...he sent me a scan, returned it and I refunded him no questions asked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-M...item56601a8f34

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 02-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Hank

Dan,

I completely understand your frustration. I have been surprised myself, when I submit cards and they come back with an "A" or altered at times. I also agree that you probably wouldn't have sold it knowing it was trimmed.

Either way, I think you are trying to do the right thing and that needs to be communicated to the buyer. You are doing what you can.

Hank
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Unless the guy was a regular customer and you were looking to keep him that way (doesn't sound like the case), I'd just block him and move on. Anybody so unreasonable as to think that you SHOULD give him a refund a year later is a kook you don't want to be dealing with in the first place. If he sheepishly mentioned the situation and asked if there is anything you could do and apologizing because it's been so long and left it up to you, then maybe. Even then I'd make him produce a receipt so that you could at least know how much he paid. If he can remember a year later where to look up the guy he bought it from, he ought to at least be able to produce some record of the transaction.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Unless the guy was a regular customer and you were looking to keep him that way (doesn't sound like the case), I'd just block him and move on. Anybody so unreasonable as to think that you SHOULD give him a refund a year later is a kook you don't want to be dealing with in the first place. If he sheepishly mentioned the situation and asked if there is anything you could do and apologizing because it's been so long and left it up to you, then maybe. Even then I'd make him produce a receipt so that you could at least know how much he paid. If he can remember a year later where to look up the guy he bought it from, he ought to at least be able to produce some record of the transaction.
He only has a 46 rating in 14 years on ebay...I did sell him something last January as I can see I left him positive feedback.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Ben H*ds@n

I would tell him where he could put that card! Ridiculous!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Alex

After a year i would not refund. Furthermore, how do you know he didn't trim it?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Archive

Hi Dan

FWIW if you really want to know what the card sold for, you probably could find out on Cardtarget. I've looked up cards that I have purchased as far back as 2008.

To answer your question, if it was a collector that I know, then yes to a refund after a year. If this is just some random buyer, then I would not issue a refund. Way to many variables after a year.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Mike C@.v3

I've heard stories where people pulled a card from a pack, sent it in, and it came back as evidence of trimming

Since I believe you are a stand up guy and to me you've proven to be one, you should do what you believe is right. Whether that is issue a partial or full refund, not issue any refund, or just straight up block the guy...it's up to you. I'm not sure there really is a straight up right or wrong answer. My gut says not to issue a refund, but that's just my opinion...just seems weird that it's been over a year and he just now gets around to it. If I were him, there would be no way I would request a refund. If he waited that long to send it in, it's on him and he should eat the card...I would expect the same if I were him. I'm sure he's frustrated, but this seems like common sense to me and he should probably just move on.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
If he waited that long to send it in, it's on him and he should eat the card...I would expect the same if I were him. I'm sure he's frustrated, but this seems like common sense to me and he should probably just move on.
EXACTLY! Is there no shame among collectors any more? I've bought things that I set aside and never pulled out until a year or more later only to be disappointed with it for one reason or another, but never once did it cross my mind that I should be able to go back to whoever I bought it from and get my money back. To me, it's just understood that in that situation you just suck it up and move on. Nobody wants to make their own mistakes any more!

If you can't tell, I'm a little sick of being abused by moronic buyers If they would just announce their idiotic intentions up front, I'd refuse to deal with them on principle, but it's always after-the-fact (sometimes over a year after-the-fact) that they come back to bite you. I feel your pain, Dan.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Not your fault, at all. Block him.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cook View Post
Not your fault, at all. Block him.
I agree with this sentiment...not your issue at all!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM
bi11h00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I've heard stories where people pulled a card from a pack, sent it in, and it came back as evidence of trimming
From the pre-80's forum, there's been several reports of cards from the 60's coming back from grading as not meeting the minimum size requirement. I've personally had one and know darn well it was never trimmed. [note - I'm not certain if 'minimsizrq' is a catchall which includes 'trimmed'.]

Also, depending upon how the initial sale ad was written would have a bearing on whether the buyer deserved a refund. If you guaranteed authenticity, then I suspect a refund might be in order. But if there was no such guarantee and the card was simply raw, then it's always buyer beware (IMO).
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Eric Perry

Dan,

Are you sure the buyer isn't Peter Nash?

In all seriousness, it sounds like this amounts to a small percentage of your overall sales revenue. If that is the case, take the high road.

First, ask the buyer to provide front and back scans, along with proof of purchase. Provided that they follow through with this request, and you are confident that the card wasn't altered since leaving your hands, refund the money, block the buyer, and move on.

As a bonus, send it in for grading. If the buyer didn't alter the card, it should come back with a nice number grade, giving you the opportunity to make all of your money back...and then some.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra