NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Matt

Default T206 HOF Quest - Wagner & Plank??

I am in the process of "hunting" down the HOF's from the T206 set. My question is what do you do about Wagner and Plank? Do you buy old looking reprints to put in their place or do you just accept the fact that those 2 might not make it into the collection?

Also, will there ever be any other additions to the T206 HOF list??

Matt

Successful transactions with: Wildfireschulte, bengineno9, Davids resale shop, dougcats, wcsportscards, Bryan Long, Moonlight Graham, sycks22, Set Builder, itjclarke, mybuddyinc x 2, Double-P-Enterprises, Michael McGuffin, sebie43, T2069bk, JollyRoger, LukeLyon x 2, drjdog5150, Beatles Guy, GehrigFan, piecesofthegame, AddieJoss, Marty, HOF Yankees, FrankWakefield, Tim Fritz, vcuono, T206blogcom, btcarfagno x 3, Bleedinblue, Tolstoi, brewing
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Default HOF'er

What about alternate sets? I would rather have an original card than a reprint. JMO.

How about an E95 of Plank? or an E90-2 of Wagner?

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plank E95.jpg (6.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Matt

Had not thought of that possibility!! Thanks

Matt

Successful transactions with: Wildfireschulte, bengineno9, Davids resale shop, dougcats, wcsportscards, Bryan Long, Moonlight Graham, sycks22, Set Builder, itjclarke, mybuddyinc x 2, Double-P-Enterprises, Michael McGuffin, sebie43, T2069bk, JollyRoger, LukeLyon x 2, drjdog5150, Beatles Guy, GehrigFan, piecesofthegame, AddieJoss, Marty, HOF Yankees, FrankWakefield, Tim Fritz, vcuono, T206blogcom, btcarfagno x 3, Bleedinblue, Tolstoi, brewing
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Be careful

I bought an e95 Plank for this very reason, and then had like 10 of them within a week . It's a really beautiful set.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

There are a bunch of guys that have a chance to get in but I'd bet on Bill Dinneen getting in as an umpire.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageismygame View Post
I am in the process of "hunting" down the HOF's from the T206 set. My question is what do you do about Wagner and Plank? Do you buy old looking reprints to put in their place or do you just accept the fact that those 2 might not make it into the collection?

Matt
reprints

T206 Piedmont 150

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 02-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Jesse

I would pass on reprints. The set alone with out the big 4 is still a great set. I mean if you can get the big 4 then wow that's great but I would never put a reprint in my set if it was me.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
What about alternate sets? I would rather have an original card than a reprint. JMO.

How about an E95 of Plank? or an E90-2 of Wagner?

Z Wheat
This is what I did. M116s are nice substitutes also. I don't like reprints
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 AM

Matt,

I've been in the organized hobby for over 40 years. Those who wouldn't sully their collection with a reprint seem to hate them with a disturbing passion. Their feelings seem to say, "it's cheating to buy reprints". Really? Some major collectors were most disturbed about reprints. They thought reprints would steal the thunder from their own originals. Reprints would decrease the value of their originals.

Nothing ever steals the thunder of originals. Reprints make a lot of people aware of the originals. Sometimes they become wish catalogs in themselves; thus, in time, when funds build and the opportunity to purchase the original is before you, you jump at the chance to buy the real deal. Without the reprints, you might not have "jumped".

In the spring of 1972, I responded to an advertisement placed by Mike Aronstein concerning a reprint baseball card set he had produced of the 1933 DeLong Gum Company set. Set me back all of 3-4 bucks, at the most. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. Mike's reprints were of extremely high quality, original size, but with a gloss that only a diphead would mistake for the real thing. I still have the set, and my copy of Lionel Carter's article on these cards that inspired me to desire them in the first place. Though I never bought original DeLongs, the reprint set was a catalyst towards investigating and purchasing other 1930s cards that WERE original.

Back to your question. Of course, purchase quality reprints of Honus and Eddie. Don't ever hang your head in shame. Whilst keeping in mind the option of purchasing an original of either famous rarity was not considered of course, distilling the question of whether to include a reprint here or there comes down to this. You don't have "to slave away half your life" just to satisfy some old grouch that you only have original cards. As far as just accepting the fact that you will never own the two toughies, I beg you, do not walk down that plank!

However, it's a personal decision. Know thyself. To thine own self be true. If you know you cannot enjoy the reprint giving its 75% or more of the eye candy of an original, then don't torture your baby blues and mind and heart by buying them.

Think of all the other cards and items you could purchase with the money you would save. This would be true of many other prime expensive cards, natch. Yup, nothing beats an original. On the other hand, don't wait 'til you're at death's door and lament, I never did get a ________________. Maybe I should have bought a good reprint.

Though you began your goal less than two months ago, it's obvious from your numbers that you've made immense progress. Regardless, your goal is still a daunting one as it is. Never forget that. Purchasing quality reprints of Honus and Eddie makes too much sense. Honest to Honus.

And another thing. I'm sure you had some dandy reasons, but .....don't punish yourself with an old-looking reprint of The Flying Dutchman and Gettysburg Eddie. Get some imaginary PSA 10 Gem Mint Harris Collection killers.

Just my five cents. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-05-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM

You never know what you might stumble across at a yard sale or an off the grid auction. 90% of my collection has come from mom and pop types, usually with the woman urging her husband to realize some value from his collection after holding onto it for many years. Also, when people pass away the children often receive the collection, and many times they are not sports fans and are looking to sell as quickly as possible. I've found anything from T206, Cracker Jack, 1910 Orange Borders, etc... from situtions exactly like this. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a Wagner at the bottom of the box (unlikely).

Last edited by j_cook; 02-05-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Alex

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I don't think I will ever get those two. I might get cards from other sets or reprints. We will have to see.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Matt

E90-2 Wagner is such an awesome card. I remember first becoming aware of it at a show so many years ago. It struck me instantly as a cool piece to have, in lieu of The One. I think that idea above of using such cool, real cards as sub-ins is fantastic.

And cards like an e90-2 Wagner and the e95 Plank stand up in their own right-- not easy to find good ones by any stretch, and valuable, too.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageismygame View Post

Matt
Dahlen's got a decent shot to make it one day. There may be others, but he is who comes to mind first for me.