NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Default Question about T206 back pricing

Hi guys. I just started collecting T206 cards a couple of weeks ago. I figured I'd start the set by building a St. Louis Cardinals team set in VG to VG-Ex (and a reprint of the O'Hara until the check for my Nigerian lottery winnings come in ). I would like to get a nice representation of the different back brands available and here is where my question comes into play. Can I get an estimate of what some of the less common back types will run in the VG grade? I don't really care about varieties within the different brands just an example or two of each. I hope this makes sense.

I'm sorry if this is an annoying question to the T206 experts of the forum but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Chris Wassmuth

And in case anyone wants to see it this is all I've managed to aquire so far:
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Clayton

Default Hello

I am not a T206 expert by far,just a T-206 fiend.There are T206 experts on this board who can answer your question alot better than I can.But what I wanted to say is that it is difficult to give an estimate of a card just based on the back-so I guess you should wonder what an estimate would be with a certain player with a certain back,in vg3 grade.For instance-what would a Roger Bresnahan with a Tolstoi back go for(estimate) as opposed to a Bresnahan with a Piedmont back go for(estimate).Maybe this will help-by the way,thats a nice card you got-good luck on your goal-Sincerely,Clayton
Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm hardly an expert, but I did try the same thing with the backs for a few years. One of each brand, ignoring series etc. Fortunately I started a long time ago. Most of them are pretty easy and aren't much more expensive than the usual Sweet caporal or Piedmont. I'm still missing 2 or 3 (Is the Ty Cobb back still considered part of T206?) Drum and Uzit are really tough and pretty expensive. I've seen a couple drum backs, and couldn't afford them, even in really rough condition. Uzits are almost as tough, I actually have seen fewer, but I used to have Drum backs as a favorite search on Ebay and only looked for Uzits once in a while.

The card you've got is a nice start. My first T206 was a Beckley in very poor condition. Torn almost all the way through, and taped together. Of course it was only 20 cents, Which should give you a hint how long ago that was.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default t206 back pricing

One site that I frequently use as a reference when checking back pricing is t206.org. It has a valuation feature that combines fronts, backs, and condition. This, like most any publication, is just a guide so use it accordingly. Good luck!
Jim
Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Scott Levy

Here's my suggestion. For right now ignore the subjects (e.g. 150, 350, 460) and concentrate on the back brands for common players.

You should find the following very easily:
Piedmont
Sweet Cap
Sovereign
Polar Bear
Old Mill

Then move onto the next group ... expect to pay 1.5 to 2x the common price:
- American Beauty
- Cycle
- EPDG
- Tolstoi

If you've gotten this far -- you now have 9 of the 15 regular issued backs. Forget about the 'Ty Cobb' unless you've got 5 digits to spend (it's debatable whether its a T206 anyway).

Ok now for the tougher stuff
Hindu, Carolina Brights and Broadleaf are not too tough yet ... and for a couple hundred bucks a piece you can pick up reasonable examples. even $100 can probably get you a real beater.

Lenox is significantly scarce
Uzit even more so
and Drum the most.

However, if you're willing to accept trimmed cards or true beaters even a Drum will cost you less than $1000.... and Lenox significantly less.

Happy hunting and let me know if you need help along the way !

Regards,
Scott
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Monster

Welcome aboard.
i'm pleased you're a lover of the Monster.
You already have much good advice here.
Scott's pricing is very helpful. although i would say that the
Broadleaf 460 is a pocketbook killer. The 350 would be the way to go in the beginning.
Remember the Monster wants you to quit.
Don't listen to it.

all the best,
barry
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Archive

Hi Chris,

I am not an expert, but I will try to help you with your question. A few years back I tried doing the same thing that you are doing, a team set with as many different backs I could get/afford. My team was Cleveland, you know the team with 3 different Cy Young cards and different Lajoie cards. Need I say more!

Your question is a complex one because there are so many factors involved here such as:

availability
front/back combinations
other player/team specific collectors
bidding wars

So trying to throw out estimates is can be difficult

Here is an example for you, last night on Ebay I was going to bid on a T206 of Al Burch (batting). The card was raw and probably would have got a grade of 3/40, but this Burch version always, from my observations, tends to go for a little more than a regular common T206. This Burch also had a Sovereign 150 back. Final closing price was $51. Needless to say that I didn't win this one.

What got me away from doing my Cleveland set was when I saw a Bill Bradley (portrait) with a Hindu (brown) back go for over $300 on Ebay. I knew that I wasn't going to reach my goal.

In no way am I trying to discourage you, but keep in mind, this kind of project is a long-term project . At first the cards will come quick, but sooner or later the brakes will hit. Unless that Nigerian lottery check finally comes in.

I hope that I answered your question and good luck if you continue with this. Also follow the advice in the posts above mine. Their suggestions will help you greatly.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 10-26-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added more
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Thanks for the advice guys. I can already tell you that I'm going to have to skip the really scarce backs like Drum. I just don't have the kind of money that would be required to get the scarce backs. So I guess I'll just try to get 9 or 10 different backs and go from there. No matter what I'm excited about this set. I've got a good display idea for the Cardinal set and as soon as I get it done I'll share it with you guys.

Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
pete ullman

Default Go w/scott!

I agree w/Scotts segmenting of the backs into groups. You should be able to accomplish your goal of 9-10 backs in vg for about $500 in my estimation...maybe less if you buy raw...good luck...my original goal in type collecting was to get all of the t206 backs which I began in the early nineties. I had all of the backs up to Drum...minus a uzit. I tried to also get all variations of each back as well. I passed on $2-300 uzit Hofers...BL 460's for $300...I wasn't willing to spend the cash! I got lucky and bought a drum in g for $30 at a show in silver spring, md in 93' or so...along with a few red hindu's for $100 apiece...another for $250 at a card shop in Cleveland, OH while interviewing for dental school...where I got my E97 B/W Nichols as well...great shop! IT's not cheap if you want them all! I've sold many over the years...my drum to buy a chair...all red hindu's but 1...and that's where I stand now. I need Uzit, Drum, Bl 460...for the set...probably will not happen...because I refuse to spend the cash!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-26-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: trying to add photo?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

You may be surprised from time to time on the tough backs. I have had to pay through the nose for a couple of them (thanks Toby), but every now and then you get lucky. I bought my trimmed Willis Drum for a couple hundred dollars last year.

I will take a look and see what kind of STL guys I have.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Chris Wassmuth

Default Thanks, again, guys!

Thanks, again, for all the help on this guys. And thanks for making a newb feel welcome.

I'd love to see some of your guys' collections if you have links. And if any of you guys have any St. Louis Cardinals with backs that aren't Peidmont or Sweet Caporal available please let me know. Money is pretty tight right now but I would like to buy a card or two every couple of weeks if possible. I'm in the process of trying to sell my modern collection (read: crap) to raise funds for this endeavor but it is proving to be a slow process.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default collections

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
Thanks, again, for all the help on this guys. And thanks for making a newb feel welcome.

I'd love to see some of your guys' collections if you have links. And if any of you guys have any St. Louis Cardinals with backs that aren't Peidmont or Sweet Caporal available please let me know. Money is pretty tight right now but I would like to buy a card or two every couple of weeks if possible. I'm in the process of trying to sell my modern collection (read: crap) to raise funds for this endeavor but it is proving to be a slow process.
Hey Chris,
If you click on the word "community" in that blue line right above the threads you will see several of our albums. A lot of us have websites and many of us have those listed in our signature lines. Good luck on the T206 back quest. For the difficult ones I am down to needing a Ty Cobb back (still not so sure it's T206 but that is debatable)...and a few of the really tough ones....BL460 was my last really tough one....and I picked up a very nice Drum at the national in 2008....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt206bl460street.jpg (79.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg pt206drumb2.jpg (76.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Matt Wieder

Letls not forget the Coupon Type 1 backs as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Letls not forget the Coupon Type 1 backs as well.
I was under the impression that Coupon backs were still considered a different set. I've been reading Scot Reader's manuscript and it seems like there is a good argument for both inclusion and exclusion of the Coupon backs. What is the overall opinion of the board in this matter?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Barry Sloate

The board is split on the Coupon issue. Some feel if Burdick catalogued them as a separate set, then that is sacrosanct. Others believe that the type 1 Coupons share so much of the same design with T206 they should be part of the set. There will never be consensus.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
I was under the impression that Coupon backs were still considered a different set.
As best as I can tell, almost everyone agrees that if they were starting a catalogging system today, knowing what we know, we'd group the Coupons with the other T206 backs. I believe the issue comes down to if the ACC can be updated or if it is frozen in time.

Last edited by Matt; 10-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As best as I can tell, almost everyone agrees that if they were starting a catalogging system today, knowing what we know, we'd group the Coupons with the other T206 backs. I believe the issue comes down to if the ACC can be updated or if it is frozen in time.
Does anyone know why they were originally classified as a different set? And how do the prices of these compare to T206? Which back would they most compare to as far as rarity?

I'm open to opinions on this one: if you were me would you consider adding a Coupon back to my set?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions guys. You have all been a great help so far!

Chris