NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2022, 02:12 PM

Default consignment fees

Just wondering today - with all of the auction houses and many auctions daily requesting consignments what are the varying consignment fees for the sellers ? They seem to be all over the place from zero to 15% or more.

Thanks,

sealmark
Old 05-03-2022, 02:15 PM
Joe M.

I think you have it right zero to 20 % you just have to negotiate. Depends on value of items you are consigning in my experience.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 05-03-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:35 PM
Bill Roberts

There will be a parade of people posting on this thread puffing their chests and saying how they will NEVER pay a consignment fee and neither should you. Depending on the auction house, maybe you shouldn't. Then again, maybe you should. Think of picking an auction house as deciding where to go out to eat for a steak.

You could go to Ponderosa or Golden Corral and get a "steak" for less than $10. Maybe you want a slightly better steak than that. Applebee's could service your needs for maybe $15-$20. Or maybe you step up a bit more and go to Outback, figuring you'll pay $25 to $30 for that steak. You can keep going up the ladder and paying more money for a better steak, ending up at a place where you'll be forking out $80 or more for a hunk of beef.

My point isn't that you always have to pay more to get more (though many times you do). It's that not all steaks are the same, and neither are all auction houses. The owners of smaller auction houses don't want to admit it, but they often offer no consignment fees because that's what they have to do in order to get consignments. It doesn't take a research genius to see which auction houses sell the most items for the most money. Most often it's not the boutique auction houses.

So rather than placing all of your focus on consignment fees, focus on the auction houses.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:56 PM

It has to do with how much time & effort that the auction house needs to do to get your stuff ready to sell (grading, describing, etc,...). If you have a substantial amount, do you want it in a separate physical catalog as something like "The sealmark collection" ?

Be aware that all auction houses will take all "auction worthy" stuff, but some auction houses seem to bring higher prices for certain material depending what it is (ie baseball, basketball, football, hockey, non-sports, uniforms, equipment, autographs, vintage, modern, cards, etc,... For example, a certain auction house might be better for a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 10 than a Babe Ruth game used bat.

Best of luck !!!
Old 05-03-2022, 05:06 PM

Default consignments

Thanks guys (or gals as the case may be). I like the steak analogy but I just paid $75 for a steak and lobster dinner so I guess why am I asking about consignment fees ?

More responses to come I suspect.

Sealmark
Old 05-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Bob Hamlin

I've paid 20% on items i've consigned, I have also paid 0%. Some auction houses are being aggressive with obtaining consignments, so they lower the buyers fee. Good luck with your consignments