NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default new hof'ers

Blyleven and Alomar both in for 2011. Congrats to both
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Blyleven and Alomar

Boy, it's about time that Blyleven got voted in! I think that Robbie Alomar is a worthy HOF inductee in spite of the Hirshbeck spitting incident that really didn't define his career. Congrats to both!!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Alomar - Blyleven (add Rice from last year) = watered down.

They are all very good, but not great IMO. Not worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Scott.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
keith janosky

That HOF voting is such a joke. Seems like they do whatever it takes to put someone in every year so they can have a induction ceromony. These guys that go in after 10-14 years on the ballot and now all of a sudden they are HOF material. I agree Blylevven should be in there but what makes him go in now and not 14 years ago when first eligible. Same with Rice last year, on the ballot 14 years and last year HOF material. To me if you don't make it in after say 3 years your not HOF worthy. Your stats don't change. They are already set in stone the day you retire. Nothing about you changes. So 6 guys go in the HOF one year what's the problem with that as long as they are HOFers. It just ticks me off when I see guys go in after at least 10 years on the ballot. Get rid of the writers and do it a different way. The only good thing they did this year was to keep McGuire and Palmerio out.

Last edited by keithsky; 01-05-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
P.hil €lli$

That's cool, now I have another HOF autograph in my collection. I got Robbie Alomar's autograph back in the early 90s down in Florida during Spring Training.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Phil Garry

My two picks exactly
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Both are deserving.. It's about time for Bert, it was disgrace that he waited this long...

Anyways, someone earlier mentioned something about the voters making sure that at least on person gets in each year...Perfect evidence is that if you look at the old voting history, you'll notice that if no one was elected on the main BWAA ballot that they would do a "runoff vote" of the top 20 players from the initial ballot, with the highest vote-getter being elected. The last instance of this was in '67 when both Red Ruffing and Joe Medwick fell short with 72.6%, and then in the "runoff", Ruffing had 86.9% and Medwick 81%...But again, only the top vote-getter got elected in Ruffing.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
That HOF voting is such a joke. Seems like they do whatever it takes to put someone in every year so they can have a induction ceromony. These guys that go in after 10-14 years on the ballot and now all of a sudden they are HOF material. I agree Blylevven should be in there but what makes him go in now and not 14 years ago when first eligible. Same with Rice last year, on the ballot 14 years and last year HOF material. To me if you don't make it in after say 3 years your not HOF worthy. Your stats don't change. They are already set in stone the day you retire. Nothing about you changes. So 6 guys go in the HOF one year what's the problem with that as long as they are HOFers. It just ticks me off when I see guys go in after at least 10 years on the ballot. Get rid of the writers and do it a different way. The only good thing they did this year was to keep McGuire and Palmerio out.
Keith,
I may be wrong, but I believe in the case of Blyleven it was simply a matter of the HOF classes being strong in many of the years that he was eligible. He almost made it last year and he didn't face much tough competition in 2011.

IMHO 287 wins, 60 or 61 shutouts, 3701 K's (which placed him at 3rd overall in the major leagues for a career when he retired) and his postseason play get him there. The times that he did play in the postseason he was a winner and prevailed. In the last 40 years not many pitchers ever possessed the devastating "yellow hammer" that Blyleven had in his arsenal. Although his win-loss record was not terrific (slightly better than .500), I wonder if it wasn't really more a function of the teams that he played on not scoring a lot of runs for him (ala Nolan Ryan)? The dude could pitch!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-05-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Keith,
I may be wrong, but I believe in the case of Blyleven it was simply a matter of the HOF classes being strong in many of the years that he was eligible. He almost made it last year and he didn't face much tough competition in 2011.

IMHO 287 wins, 60 or 61 shutouts, 3701 K's (which placed him at 3rd overall in the major leagues for a career when he retired) and his postseason play get him there. The times that he did play in the postseason he was a winner and prevailed. In the last 40 years not many pitchers ever possessed the devastating "yellow hammer" that Blyleven had in his arsenal. Although his win-loss record was not terrific (slightly better than .500), I wonder if it wasn't really more a function of the teams that he played on not scoring a lot of runs for him (ala Nolan Ryan)? The dude could pitch!
I believe I read an article a while back, that evaluated every start in both Blyleven and Jack Morris' careers. Using season by season league average run support for comparison, they figured that Blyleven would've won something like 40 more games, while Morris would've won 25 less games in their careers.. Basically they deemed that Blyleven was hurt by playing on bad teams, and Morris was helped by playing on good ones.

Basically last years MLB season help improve Bert's case alot, as far as forcing people to look at that inevitable truth....Who was the better starting pitcher last season.

Phil Hughes: 18-8, 4.19 ERA.
Felix Hernandez: 13-12, 2.27 ERA.

or in '05 for the Indians...
Was if fair that Kevin Millwood led the league in ERA with 2.86 and had a record of 9-11, while Cliff Lee was 18-5 with a 3.79 for the same team?

Hell, Rodrigo Lopez had 15 wins for the O's that year with a 4.90 ERA.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
keith janosky

Scott your right I agree Bert should be in the Hall. Even if the Voting was strong some years more than others to me should make no difference on getting in. It's based on YOUR stats not how great the others are your going in with. Say for example the year Ryan, Yount, Brett went in if Blyleven was on the ballot then, not sure if he was, his stats are the same then as today what makes him any better today than then. Not sure if I'm making any sense. Just my opinion. I think they just like to keep the guys going in to 2-4 whether your worthy or not. I just think it's a flawed system or a popularity contest.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Jim Murphy

the vote is left to a bunch of wannabee's. All you need to know about a sportswriter is to watch them all now on TV. They are not the gods they think they are.

Cy Young did not get elected on the first try, DiMaggio, sorry Joe we thing you may have to wait a couple of years.

Give me a break. The HOF has about 100 players now who do not belong. Add in the other so called HOF catogories and it is a joke
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Jim Murphy

the vote is left to a bunch of wannabee's. All you need to know about a sportswriter is to watch them all now on TV. They are not the gods they think they are.

Cy Young did not get elected on the first try, DiMaggio, sorry Joe we thing you may have to wait a couple of years.

Give me a break. The HOF has about 100 players now who do not belong. Add in the other so called HOF catogories and it is a joke