NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default O/T: Selling off Pop's Collection

Posted By: cmoking

if they were into baseball cards, we'd all be shut out.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Cmoking your dad was a fantastic artist. I love the paintings with the Coca Cola signs in them.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Zach,

If you have to have a degree in Art to formulate a non-ignorant opinion of whether or not you like a piece of art, than the point of creating anything at all is completely worthless. It would be like creating a CD but only allowing people with music degrees to critique or buy it. Art is SUPPOSED to be critiqued by anyone and everyone. People with degrees might have more insight into why things are done certain ways or whatever, but it does not make the layman who looks at a piece and formulates an opinion ignorant.

When I was in law school we read a case about a Klimmt painting and I discovered that I HATE his art. To me it totally sucks and I wouldn't even call it crap, its crap that has been eaten by a dog a re-crapped. This girl sitting next to me ended up buying a Klimmt book and buying a print of his work because she liked it. That is the point, some like it and some do not. I think the artists themselves would shutter to hear anyone say you needed an art degree to formulate an opinion of their works.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I have to say I don't think I could get $22.4 million worth of enjoyment looking at that Rothko. It is rather drab and less than inspiring. It makes you wonder about the relative value of great things. It sold for roughly the entire value of the Halper collection, or the total of two Mastronet auctions, or for my money a mansion in the Hamptons and a pristine brownstone in my Brooklyn neighborhood (with some change left over). Or you could have this rather dull painting. Can anyone explain this one? Is it simply that the person who bought it already had all those other things but he didn't yet have one of these things?

Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Sometimes it is time to buy a big diamond. Eventhough it will never leave the secure place where you house it.

How big a diamond should it be?

Well, your brother-in-law bought one last year for 9 mil. And the husband of the girl at the country club just bought his wife ...

Enter: Rothko.

Nobody likes it.

But at 22.4 mil. IT IS RIGHT.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Well said Rhys.

That sure is some expensive crap.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Different people find different things profound, and there's nothing wrong with that. You look at a painting with your eyes, not someone else's. Enjoying art is a personal act, and there is no requirement that you even share with others what you like or think is dumb. Besides, what is desirable about everyone else finding profound the same stuff as you? Shouldn't you fear that you will some day you will read that Paulie Shore's favorite movie and painting are also yours?

Old 11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

David,

Lets make sure the bases are covered. Did you like Bennie Hill or did you just watch it because you were trying to do the "in thing" by enriching yourself with British culture? Don't forget about the "youth in Asia".....

Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

(I earlier edited my reference to watching Bennie Hill)

I've learned all I know about British culture from their sit coms (including when to say "rotter" and how to chat up a dolly bird), and all about Canadian culture from Red Green (it appears Canadians men like duct tape and are scared of their wives).

My dad met a German who he said, before he come to the US, he learned about American family interaction by watching "Married ... With Children." My dad wasn't certain if he was joking or not.

Talking of like and disliking, it's fair to say about as many women like Red Green as like Bennie Hill. My aunt was not amused when she turned on her TV to watch her weekly BBC Woman Detective Mystery to find out it had been replaced by Red Green.

After her second stroke, my late 80s year old grandmother's favorite tv show became Married With Children. There's a special bond formed when watching Married With Children with your 86 year old grandmother .... She also liked action shows, and one of her best old lady quotes was, "I hate the sex on TV, but I like the violence."

Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

a recent drive-thru conversation at work.

Customer: What is on your chicken club?

Cashier: Lots of blood and feahters. Would you like one?

Customer: Only if I get to hit you with it.

Jay

I'm incompetent at being incontenent.