NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2022, 07:24 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Default Share your specialized collections

I know I'm not alone in this, but my personal collection is all-over the map, with some modern, some post war, some pre-war, and ultimately no real central focus. I have some nice cards, but there's no common thread. I find myself envious of those members here who are able to focus their collecting, as they tend to have truly spectacular collections.

If you are one of those collectors who have a primary collecting focus (a single player, set, era, etc.), show us what you've got.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:54 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Click on the link below my "signature".

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 02-13-2022, 09:25 AM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

I decided a couple of years ago to consolidate my collection and sell off a lot that didn't either fit or simply to help fund other purchases.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...ent-collection

Last edited by Foo3112; 02-13-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3112 View Post
I decided a couple of years ago to consulate my collection and sell off a lot that didn't either fit or simply to help fund other purchases.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/DNICE
Very nice. That is a smokin' Mantle.

Personally, I am all over the place and that seems to be where I am most comfortable
Old 02-13-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I know I'm not alone in this, but my personal collection is all-over the map, with some modern, some post war, some pre-war, and ultimately no real central focus. I have some nice cards, but there's no common thread. I find myself envious of those members here who are able to focus their collecting, as they tend to have truly spectacular collections.

If you are one of those collectors who have a primary collecting focus (a single player, set, era, etc.), show us what you've got.
Like you, I have been all over the map most of my collecting life (45 years). Only in the past few months have a committed to a narrow focus…Topps era HOF pitchers.

There are 40 right now, and each can be represented by a different year, including 30 straight years from 1952-81. My only qualifier is no rookies, so the focus can be on the player and Topps design rather than value and/or RC status.

Sharing my progress in this thread:

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=310207

Will never be “truly spectacular” like the collections above (speechless!), but I am having a blast.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-13-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Personally, I am all over the place and that seems to be where I am most comfortable
What a gorgeous photo, Leon! What's the size and what year would you say?
Old 02-13-2022, 11:16 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

My collection is limited and focused to about 500 cards covering 100 years of baseball 1885-1985. I'll only collect hof players and specific ones within the set. Although I'm trying to complete a E98 Master Set and an E94 set I would say I'm an image/type collector and only specific years/issues, for example I don't collect 52 Topps but I do collect 53s, I like the 53 portraits so I have a dozen on my list but doesn't include Mays because I just don't like the look of the card. That also allowed me to sell my 52 Jackie so I could buy a 14CJ Cobb, a deal I would make every time.

It helped me to build a spreadsheet/list of my priorities so I could focus on what was important to me for my collection. Although I'm guilty of the occasional squirrel hunt like everybody else is I usually regret it and sell the card shortly after, same goes for condition, I try not to buy placeholders unless it's a rare card that I need for my Master Set. I can't buy it all so I have to buy what makes me happy and can afford. In no certain order in addition to the two sets mentioned above my collection consists of:

West Coast type collection
1910 T206 portraits
PC796 & 1921 Exhibits postcards
1914 Cracker Jack
E121 Caramel
1933 Goudey
Specific cards from the 30's & 40's
Specific Topps cards from the 50's thru 80's

That spreads it out enough to get the same thrill of buying an $80 card as I do buying an $800 or $8000 card. Sometimes I wonder what I'll do when I finish my list, probably remodel the kitchen...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-13-2022, 11:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
What a gorgeous photo, Leon! What's the size and what year would you say?
IT is a true cdv and is 2 1/2" x 4", I have circa 1868 on it. It was sold individually with several more in the auction. I thought this was the best one of the group.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:19 AM
T0NY @

Great idea for a thread. Some really great items shared here so far.

Along with cards since day one I've always had a passion for original advertisement and original advertisement companion pieces which represent and promote the cards that I collect.

It's a consistent focus that I've not veered away from since my collecting bug began. Click on the thumbnails in this link for larger pics >> https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...nt/memorabilia
Old 02-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3112 View Post
I decided a couple of years ago to consolidate my collection and sell off a lot that didn't either fit or simply to help fund other purchases.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...ent-collection
What an amazing, concise collection. I commend your ability to stay so focused. I’ve told myself many time that I’d like to get to that point. Then I just buy more cards…LoL
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 02-13-2022, 11:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Here's part of mine

My collecting focus has been Roberto Clemente - Primarily from 1951-1973 (when he passed) although exceptions are made for items that appeal to me visually post 73. Here is a large part of my collection:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/243775

My collection does extend significantly past the above and includes many photographs, magazines, newspapers, ticket stubs, posters, cereal boxes, etc.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

About the one consistent aspect of my collecting over the years is that I don't shy away from card abuse, whether accidental, or intentional, like these modified by human hands examples.

So maybe this can be considered specialized. But perhaps just "special".

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiStarsMellilloversion002.jpg (82.3 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg e101matty 002.jpg (52.9 KB, 829 views)
File Type: jpg exhibitgehrig 001 (521x800).jpg (25.6 KB, 820 views)
File Type: jpg bulgariababeruth 001 (511x640).jpg (38.7 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg bulgariababeruthback 001 (563x640).jpg (31.7 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg e107520.jpg (90.9 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg sportkingsthorpe763.jpg (77.0 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg t205villagepeople923 (128x233).jpg (39.6 KB, 823 views)
File Type: jpg w503stengel167 (416x640).jpg (59.1 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg woodcj635 (460x640).jpg (30.2 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg woodcj636 (640x458).jpg (37.7 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg batteruphigh 001 (869x1024).jpg (54.3 KB, 820 views)
File Type: jpg e121diecut 001 (381x640).jpg (23.4 KB, 820 views)
File Type: jpg doubleplaymizeslaughter 001.jpg (77.9 KB, 829 views)
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
What an amazing, concise collection. I commend your ability to stay so focused. I’ve told myself many time that I’d like to get to that point. Then I just buy more cards…LoL
+1 agree amazing collection

For me I try and stay focused on Ruth and Jackson as you can see in the link below my signature

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-13-2022, 12:18 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
My collection is limited and focused to about 500 cards covering 100 years of baseball 1885-1985. I'll only collect hof players and specific ones within the set. Although I'm trying to complete a E98 Master Set and an E94 set I would say I'm an image/type collector and only specific years/issues, for example I don't collect 52 Topps but I do collect 53s, I like the 53 portraits so I have a dozen on my list but doesn't include Mays because I just don't like the look of the card. That also allowed me to sell my 52 Jackie so I could buy a 14CJ Cobb, a deal I would make every time.

It helped me to build a spreadsheet/list of my priorities so I could focus on what was important to me for my collection. Although I'm guilty of the occasional squirrel hunt like everybody else is I usually regret it and sell the card shortly after, same goes for condition, I try not to buy placeholders unless it's a rare card that I need for my Master Set. I can't buy it all so I have to buy what makes me happy and can afford. In no certain order in addition to the two sets mentioned above my collection consists of:

West Coast type collection
1910 T206 portraits
PC796 & 1921 Exhibits postcards
1914 Cracker Jack
E121 Caramel
1933 Goudey
Specific cards from the 30's & 40's
Specific Topps cards from the 50's thru 80's

That spreads it out enough to get the same thrill of buying an $80 card as I do buying an $800 or $8000 card. Sometimes I wonder what I'll do when I finish my list, probably remodel the kitchen...
I've seen your pick-ups and what you have posted, Phil. Mighty impressive collection you have assembled!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-13-2022, 12:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Why Joe Louis? Not only was he the greatest heavyweight of all time [don't take my word, Bert Sugar picked him; "Ringside: The Ten Greatest Heavyweights," ESPN Classic, 1991], he was the most important boxer of the 20th Century.

The century was bookended by two very influential fighters, Jack Johnson [the first black heavyweight champ] and Muhammad Ali. However, Louis is the boxer who changed the white public's perception of a black heavyweight champion. Johnson was a polarizing figure and at the end of his reign he was hated and blacks were hated just the same as before. Ali was...Ali, but he built himself on the shoulders of Joe Louis. If there is no Louis, there is no Ali. Also consider this: Joe Louis became the first black man to be allowed to contend for the heavyweight title in a generation and he did so 10 years before Jackie Robinson set foot in Ebbetts Field.

Joe Louis was born in Alabama, moved to Detroit as a child, and grew up boxing there. He won the Golden Gloves tournament and went pro in 1935. He took the title from Jim Braddock in 1937 and defended it a record 25 times.

It was as a man where Joe Louis stood out. He was acutely aware, as were his advisors, that he was a representative of his race and that if he did anything inside or outside the ring that offended the white public he would never get a shot at the title. His trainers and advisors made him the model of rectitude in public. Where Johnson was outspoken and flaunted his money and his white wives, Louis was made to be quiet and non-controversial, marrying a black woman, never taunting downed opponents, and never, ever speaking out against the nonsense he had to endure.

His second fight with Max Schmeling in 1938 was the turning point in white America's view of the black man as athlete. In 1936 as an up and coming heavyweight he was matched with ex-champion Schmeling who was seen as more of a gatekeeper than a real threat. Schmeing studied Louis's fights and realized that Louis had a technical flaw in his style: he dropped his lead hand and exposed his jaw when he threw a certain combination. Schmeling cryptically remarked that he saw something in Louis's style and KO'd Louis in their 1936 bout by exploiting it.

Schmeling had his own demons to contend with. After beating Louis he returned to Nazi Germany a national hero, meeting with Hitler and being used by the regime for its racist propaganda. Schmeling was not a Nazi party member and was not a supporter of their positions [it came out many decades after the fact that he had hidden Jewish children in his Berlin apartment during an officially sanctioned antisemitic riot, at considerable personal peril]. His willingness to be used by the Nazis led to a string of events where the Americans who controlled boxing decided that they would not allow Braddock to risk sending the title to Germany. Rather than getting a shot at title holder Braddock, Schmeling was denied and the chance was given to Louis, though Louis's management had to cede 10% of their fighter's future earnings to Braddock to get the shot.

Louis beat Braddock but stated that he did not consider himself the champ until he beat Schmeling. That bout took place in 1938. It almost never occurred. The Nazi regime wanted Schmeling to fire his [Jewish] American manager, but he refused, convincing the Germans that without Joe Jacobs as his manager he stood no shot at getting a title bout. World War II was less than a year away and to many Americans Schmeling was a symbol of the Nazis.

The American public reaction to the Schmeling-Louis bout was amazing given the context of the times. In 1910 Jim Jeffries had been drafted out of retirement to win back the title from Johnson for the white race and after he lost there were race riots across the country. Many 'white hopes' then were sent to do the job. The Federal government went after Johnson for allegedly violating the Mann Act by transporting a woman across state lines for immoral purposes (she was his [white] wife). He ended up roaming around the world fighting, ultimately agreeing to a bout in Havana where he lost the title to Jess Willard, came home, and was thrown in Leavenworth. In 1938 while preparing for the Schmeling bout, Louis was invited to the White House as a guest. President Roosevelt heralded him as having the strength America would need to beat the Nazis. Much of the American public agreed and openly rooted for a black man in a previously unimaginable manner.

The fight itself stands a a testament to Louis's skills and power. He had trained out the flaw in his style and perfected his techniques in the two years since the first fight. Louis simply tore Schmeling to pieces. Check out the bout on Youtube if you have a chance; it only runs 2 minutes. The beatdown was so devastating that it put Schmeling in the hospital for ten days with several cracked vertebrae.

When World War II broke out he donated the purses of his title fights to war relief charities and while in the Army was transported all over the world with a team of boxers [including Sugar Ray Robinson] and referee Ruby Goldstein, entertaining the troops in all the theaters of operations.

After the war he fought a few more times then retired as champion. Louis was forced back into the ring by financial woes, which is when time finally caught up with him. He went into various ventures like pro wrestling, and lent his name to a variety of products. Eventually he found his way to Las Vegas, where he worked as a casino host/greeter for a number of casinos and bars until finding a permanent home at Caesar's Palace. where he worked until his death. A statue of Louis stands in the entry to the casino at Caesar's in tribute to him to this day.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-13-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I also like Babe Ruth related memorabilia from Billy Taub Clothiers in NYC:

Or not...
Old 02-13-2022, 01:09 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I've seen your pick-ups and what you have posted, Phil. Mighty impressive collection you have assembled!
Thanks James, I've been fortunate and have received invaluable help from many members here. There's no place like net54 when it comes to putting a collection together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-13-2022, 01:19 PM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

Thanks for the nice comments.

Some crazy collections here. I'm seeing some beautiful Clemente cards, Cracker Jack Shoeless Joe Jacksons and some Babe Ruth RC's. Just insane stuff. I wish more folks would show what they got.

Last edited by Foo3112; 02-13-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Ben Gehler

I can relate to your, "all over the map" feeling. I can blame (credit) our humble Leon here; for igniting my search for "cool". Way back, I remember seeing this N370 Grant for sale on eBay; thinking: that's kinda "cool"; from 1887, Lone Jack Tobacco. I was starting my hunting in the T206 realm back then. My wife and I have a special place in our hearts for Galena, IL (Grant's old stomping grounds); so, I picked up the Grant N370; not knowing anything about it. And so the story goes; along the way, if I see something "Grant", I may pick it up. I like to show off some of my "cool"s at shows sometimes; I have many "cool" paths that I have been down.

Follow the "cool"ness; funny how the story pulls together.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 02-13-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:58 PM

In addition to collecting sets from Topps (1952-1979), Bowman (1952-1955), and O-Pee-Chee (1965-1971), I would say that my two most specialized sets would be the T206 team master set and pre-war type set for the White Sox that can be seen in my sigline below.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:53 PM
Tim Odeen

Ditto, Leon!

I mainly collect Reds. My best collection is 1939/40 focusing on Ernie Lombardi. I have a nice group of W711. I also PC Barry Larkin, Votto, and Jonathan India. I just started buying GU hats.

My favorite non-Reds item to collect is Wheaties. And I have a small growing collection of photos.

I collect Tris Speaker, and I've got small collections of Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Jackie Robinson, Stan Musial, and Ted Kluszewski.

I have a dormant Ken Griffey Jr collection from my youth I've started to revive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-13-2022, 07:23 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
I mainly collect Reds. My best collection is 1939/40 focusing on Ernie Lombardi.
Love that era of the Reds. I have nine of those team-issued cards. Would have ten, but I traded away Billy Werber. I'm a big fan of Jimmie Wilson. I just thought it was great the way he became the catcher after Lombardi got hurt, and what happened with Willard Hershberger. Finding those blue caps with the red bill and sewn on "C" is all but impossible.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-13-2022, 07:25 PM
Paul

Default T206 Player Autographs

On card and off card…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5E0C8C79-3D54-4FE5-8B5D-534B2C45C684.jpg (13.8 KB, 748 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-13-2022, 08:07 PM
Ken McMillan

1921 World Series E121 cards Giants and Yankees
Elmer Miller type card collection
1912 T207 Cubs front/ reverse collection
1911 T205 Cubs front/ reverse collection
1910 T210 Jacksonville Jays collection
s74 cubs silks collection
1951 to Current Topps Cubs collection
Old 02-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
In addition to collecting sets from Topps (1952-1979), Bowman (1952-1955), and O-Pee-Chee (1965-1971), I would say that my two most specialized sets would be the T206 team master set and pre-war type set for the White Sox that can be seen in my sigline below.
Tom, I just had a very enjoyable look at your pre-War White Sox type collection - very nicely done!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:58 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Love that era of the Reds. I have nine of those team-issued cards. Would have ten, but I traded away Billy Werber. I'm a big fan of Jimmie Wilson. I just thought it was great the way he became the catcher after Lombardi got hurt, and what happened with Willard Hershberger. Finding those blue caps with the red bill and sewn on "C" is all but impossible.
I like the characters and stories that were on that team. Just so many enjoyable players to read about. Jimmie Wilson is overshadowed by his famous peers, but he defines when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I sold off some of my W711. The only one I want back is Edd Roush.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-13-2022, 10:47 PM
J.B.

I've loved the challenge of collecting original production art and the associated issue it created. My thanks to Chris, Scott, & Steve for setting me on this journey with their education! And if anyone has either a red or purple Heine..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937 American Badge.jpg (20.2 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg W517 Manush.jpg (12.4 KB, 679 views)
Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 AM
Scott

While it pales in comparison to everyone else's collections, here is a link (hopefully) to my Nate Colbert PSA showcase.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist.../showcase/8400

Last edited by bobcatfunds; 02-14-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:17 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I am a set collector (baseball football basketball hockey non-sports), but I also have a specialized collection. 1962 Civil War News. I loved these cards as a kid, and still have great interest in learning about the Civil War (I've even visited a few battlefields). Some of the OBC guys collect what is called a "nine card" project, and my "nine-card project" is 1962 Topps Civil War News. Nine #1 cards "The Angry Man" fill one plastic sheet, Nine #2 cards "President Jeff Davis" fill the next plastic sheet etc etc. 1962 Civil War News is a small 88 card set, so I need 88 X 9 or 792 to complete this quest. I'm currently over 91% complete with 724 of the needed cards. I remember the "good old days" when I could buy VG-EX cards for a dollar or so, but prices have risen some and typically cost about $3 each now maybe less. I picked up a wax wrapper at the National a few years ago and paid $10 which was a good price! I'm also piecing together 3 A&BC sets (England), and I have complete sets in Spanish and French. The cards came with "Facsimile Confederate Money" and I have examples of all 17 different bills, Topps and A&BC mixed (There is a slight color difference). Twenty years ago my OBC buddies gave me an unopened Cello back which I busted open and pulled a NM but off centered #88 checklist card, and I still have the empty cello paper.
Larry

Old 02-14-2022, 08:01 AM

For past 30 yrs, I have tried to find a card, original photo and/or autograph of everyone who has played for the Yankees. There are a lot of obscure guys. Priority order is:
1. baseball card in a Yankee uni
2. original photo in a Yankee uni
3. online or repro image in Yankee uni and an autograph
4. card with other uni
5. orig. photo in other uni
6. autograph, no uni
7. any contemporary collectible, such as guide photos
8. any image at all!

While focus in on early players, there are lots of new guys to keep up with as well, some of which are surprisingly hard. eg, can't even find an image in uni of Greg Harris in 1994 short stay with club. ditto Billy Brewer in 1996

Anyway, I have lots of toughies. As an example, here is a Thorne photo of Floyd Newkirk, who played 1 game in 1934
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newkirk Floyd original Thorne Photo.jpg (70.9 KB, 620 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 02-14-2022, 08:36 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I have at least 9 distinct collecting foci plus the odd card that doesn't fit but was either too aesthetically pleasing or seemed like too good a bargain to pass up.

Louisiana cards
Bakery cards
Rare backs (<50 total examples and <1% of the type)
Rookie cards of the first player from each of the 50 states [My avatar is Texas's "rookie card."]
Rookie cards of the top 50 players from the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB
T206 Piedmont 150 portraits
T206 Polar Bears
Charles "Whitey" Glazner cards
Donald Bradman (cricket) cards

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 02-14-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 AM
Bill Cauley

Hopped back into collecting a couple of years ago with a focus on HoFers but recently decided I needed another project. I contacted the HoF and they sent me a pretty solid list of the known players to have served in the military. I only started about a month ago so only at two cards. Hoping to keep the card types as varied as possible too.

The best part about this little side project is reading up on the history of the players, the majority I've never even heard of. Even if a player never had a card issued, it's still fun to read about them and what they did in their life, baseball, and the military.

IMG_20220214_0001_NEW
Old 02-14-2022, 08:56 AM
Josh

I decided to scale back my collection last year. I started doing only Ruth playing years cards mid to late last year. I’m 7 deep now and plan to run out the Goudeys now and then add a 32 caramel in 2023’. I’ll then pick and chose from that point. It won’t accept my file to show my current seven. All four “Babe” E121 caramels series of 80 and 120. Goudey 53, 144, and 1935’
Old 02-14-2022, 09:09 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

My 'aside my set completions' collection is focused on Frank Howard and then Washington Senators. They sort of go hand in hand but the focus is on Hondo mainly.

I just picked up this 2013 Tristar SignaCuts Autographs Frank Howard / Mike Kekich dual autograph card. It commemorates the last home run that Frank Howard hit at RFK stadium as a Senator and the pitcher he hit it off of, Mike Kekich. I have mentioned previously here that my sister went to that game and she gave me the ticket stubs to that game.

So that will make a nice display with the card and the tickets.

A couple of interesting asides to that home run. It has been said that Mike Kekich let Frank know that a grooved pitch was coming through Thruman Munson. Frank told Thurman to thank him as he crossed the plate.

And I had forgotten this next one. Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson had swapped wives during the 70s timeframe. Sort of a twisted trade but the story is out there. I remembered this only after reading the notes on the card.

Regardless, it is a cool card and it is headed my way to go into my PC.

Edit: Of course, my collecting habits do not fall into this time range very often. At least not now. But they will in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (77.3 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.3 KB, 592 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 02-14-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:01 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have no idea what I am doing but am having a lot of fun doing it.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Tom, I just had a very enjoyable look at your pre-War White Sox type collection - very nicely done!
Thank you for the compliment, Val!
Old 02-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Ben Gehler

whoops

Last edited by benge610; 02-14-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: whoops
Old 02-14-2022, 06:58 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
Hopped back into collecting a couple of years ago with a focus on HoFers but recently decided I needed another project. I contacted the HoF and they sent me a pretty solid list of the known players to have served in the military. I only started about a month ago so only at two cards. Hoping to keep the card types as varied as possible too.

The best part about this little side project is reading up on the history of the players, the majority I've never even heard of. Even if a player never had a card issued, it's still fun to read about them and what they did in their life, baseball, and the military.

IMG_20220214_0001_NEW
So cool to see your project, Bill.
I am attempting similar, w/MLB'ers at Arlington.
(I borrowed part of a book cover for my binder cover, but still.)

Ben

Last edited by benge610; 02-14-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: correctly. "quoting"
Old 02-14-2022, 07:40 PM
Ben Gehler

This was also one of my favorite projects.
Sold it a while ago but was fun to work on.

Ben

Old 02-14-2022, 07:41 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Sharing collections

Here is some of my collection

https://imageevent.com/mordecaibrown...cardcollection

Last edited by mordecaibrown1; 02-14-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:42 PM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

Quote:
Originally Posted by benge610 View Post
This was also one of my favorite projects.
Sold it a while ago but was fun to work on.

Ben

Love this!
Old 02-14-2022, 07:58 PM
Ben Gehler

I am a vaunted Cubbie fan (lol), so I thought an E98 color run of Three Finger Brown's catcher; Johnny Kling would be fun. It was; and it stays in my collection. I lean towards battery mates and catchers when following a collector compass.
Thank you to Phil Lewis for helping me to achieve this satisfying goal.

Ben

Last edited by benge610; 02-14-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added Phil cred.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:00 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown1 View Post
Sam, I enjoyed seeing your very nice group of T216s.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown1 View Post
Nice stuff. You're a Brown guy? Here's a fun one for ya:

1906 flip book.

Or not...
Old 02-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Gary McNabb

Default New York Americans

I spealize in NYA sportcards, photos, signatures, scorecards, from 1903-1913

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0430.jpg (75.7 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_29f9.jpg (14.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1245.jpg (74.2 KB, 426 views)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Re: 216’s

Thanks Val!! Regarding the T216’s
Old 02-15-2022, 09:25 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have no idea what I am doing but am having a lot of fun doing it.
Two thumbs up! I like collecting whatever I want.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:57 PM
Jon Canfield

Cigarette packs! And my other "non-baseball" focus is Chris Froome cycling jerseys.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:11 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by benge610 View Post
So cool to see your project, Bill.
I am attempting similar, w/MLB'ers at Arlington.
(I borrowed part of a book cover for my binder cover, but still.)

Ben

That's a great idea! I live only a few miles away from there and will have to keep my eye out for them the next time I'm walking the grounds.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:17 AM
Ben

My collection consists of the 1910 PC796 Sepia Postcards set, currently working on the 1927 Exhibits Supply Co. set (29/64), and a 1912 La Azora Cigars Fielding Cobb SGC 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk