NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Mr. Binder & Rose Co. postcards

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

Mr. Binder you are ignoring an important question……

You have not answered the question concerning the RC McLean postcard. If you said yes you did remove the image icon from your RC checklist then the question is: Why? Why hide the picture of that card? If you said there was no image icon next to that name on your checklist it would not be the truth.

Another concern is the fact that only one RC Springfield postcards is named on your checklist when all 13 are listed on the Card Pricer Rose Co. postcard checklist. A mystery as to why these postcards are listed on this checklist.

In the period from mid-summer of 1908 and the fall of 1909 the Rose Company published and distributed their baseball players postcard issue. During this time and extending to at least 1912 they sold their postcards without including a picture inside the wreath on the postcard. The buyers of those blank postcards used them for inserting pictures of comic characters, other type pictures and some are found that were overprinted with just a greeting type message.

The Springfield Rose Company postcards fall into that category. Each of the 13 Springfield player postcards is unique. These Springfield baseball players had blank Rose Company postcards made up with each of their names and pictures placed on them and presented them to the wife of the owner of the Hotel where these players would hangout.

Just because the subjects of these particular postcards are baseball players and were made during the same time as the commercially sold Rose Company baseball player postcards does not mean that they are part of that issue. They should not be included on a checklist with the original postcards.

Restatement of the Card Pricer checklist.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

"It appears that that company was duped into listing those postcards likely in an attempt to legitimize them."

As you know I own 10 of the 13.

Are you alleging that I am a duper?

For the record I have no clue as to how my 10 appear in Card Pricer. Until this post I was unaware of that.

And by and by why isn't your post likewise addressed to Card Pricer?

EDIT:

And Mr. Spillman if you're really interested in the truth and not just interested in slandering me take a look at my web page devoted to the Springfield Roses as well as my Home page where there is a clear disclaimer that these cards are NOT part of the regular issue.

http://www.freewebs.com/jacklitsch/rosecompany.htm

Steve Murray

SECOND EDIT:

And Mr. Spillman I would be more than happy to take this off the Board but you choose not to have a link to your email address.

Steve Murray
jacklitsch@comcast.net

Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jerry, I have never seen a blank of these Rose postcards - do you have a picture of one you could post here?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, I seen one sell on ebay within the past year. Steve, those cards are awesome even if they aren't part of the set.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

For a while Leon has had a blank example offered for sale on his website. I was going to insert the link but the scan doesn't come up anymore. Maybe Leon still has the scan file and can post it here, however--

Tim

Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Clint, do you remember how much the card sold for?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, It wasn't very much, maybe 30-40 bucks. I didn't bid on it for some stupid reason.

Clint

Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Jerry,

First of all I am with VintageCardPrices.com and have no affiliation or concerns about the other company you mentioned. You might want to create another thread and address them directly as to how they created their set lists.

As to how we created or set lists it was explained to you in a previous thread so you can go back and read it again.

As for the Sprinfield players with Steve Murray's permission we would gladly add them to the set lists. Even if they are created I think they should be included even if they are one of a kinds.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

You have my permission for the 10 that I own. Check with J.C on the 3 that he owns.

P.S. I am told that the cards are listed in Becketts and are pretty much in the public domain.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

There's a blank one on the vintageball.com site: http://www.vintageball.com/Rose2.html. The owner is a reclusive hoarder and a Yankees fan, but he's tolerable . There's more than 1 blank Rose PC out there, BTW.

Bill

edited to add: N54 mercilessly mangle all links... amateurs!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

Bobby - Why don't you answered my question?

Homemade postcards listed as PC760!?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Jerry,

The answer to your question is I only knew about the one Springfield player and not the other 12 until now. And as stated in the other thread most of our checklists are complete but others are a work in progress and being updated all the time.

By the way you may wan tto edit the post above so people can understand you a little better.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

All this over a $30-40 card?

Old 05-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

cards including one with some printing in the 'window'. Can't remember what it said. Have also seen a Rose with some printing on the back I believe that had some advertising info. I'm sure Jerry could elaborate on both of the ones I speak of.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

While I hate to kick this inane thread to the top of the pile I am compelled to do so for a couple of reasons.

1. Mr. Spillman has edited his original post and while it is laudible that the edit removes a slanderous comment it distorts the original and makes subsequent responses appear out of context.

2. Whether these Rose cards are part of issued PC760 to me is irrelevant. As the owner of 10 of the 13 I could care less how they are perceived in relation to the set. To me they are a piece of Baseball history. Since I acquired them I have enjoyed researching the team and players, most notably Harl Maggert and Shano Collins. To me this is a hobby.

3. I don't know why Mr. Spillman feels the need to continue harranging Mr. Binder. This is the second thread he has started attacking Mr. Binder and while he does post his name with the posts he refuses to create an email link for discussions off the Board. As far as I'm concerned that's an anonymous post and for controversial posts should be banned. This personal vendetta with Mr. Binder is something that should be worked out between the parties off of the Board.

4. Cobby, this is not about a card, $30-$40 or otherwise. It is all about checklists and Mr. Spillman's belief that he has a proprietary right to a list of cards that Mr. Binder has included on his site. See his prior post on the issue.

5. And finally, on a lighter note, I have archived Cobby's post regarding the value of the cards for use in evaluating my Estate for tax purposes.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

while I don't know it for a fact, I would assume that Jerry compiled the list of Rose cards that's currently in many of the paper price guides that are out there just like he did the W600 lists. Just my assumption. You know what happens when you assume. I do know he's been collecting both issues for a long time and I assume he's seen most, if not all, of the ones floating around out there. Don't know what 'ownership' of the lists entails really. He did have a nice program he put together for the W600's that was PC based but I do not know of one for the Rose company postcards......

Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have had a few blank type cards before but don't remember having a blank Rose Postcard.....I know I don't have one now....

Old 05-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Steve- Thanks for the clarification on the checklist issue.
Also- I'll be sending you a bill for my appraisal services