NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
George E.

Default W560 advice; Hornsby and Johnson

Hello everyone,

My name is George. I am new here. Here is a brief introduction: I am of those who where obsessed with cards as a kid and teen, then was disillusioned with the market of the late 90s and distracted by college and starting a family, only to return in my 30s and find out my old collection had no market value. In some ways I was glad for this because it allowed me to re-enter the game with minimal investment. After stumbling upon, and winning, a poor man's Ty Cobb (The National Game Runner Sliding) I was bewitched by pre-war cards... which led me here. I am a Cardinals fan, but grew a Tigers fan. There you have it.

I have really enjoyed reading through the site over the last week. I have learned a lot from the wealth of expertise here and have appreciated the friendly atmosphere. This is a classy place.

Here is where I need help (today) - I gambled on a junk lot and it looks like what I hoped would be included actually was included. From what I have read on the site these W560s pass the tests, but I want to be sure before I try and sell them (No offense Cubs fans, but I'd rather have a Cardinals Hornsby). So first, anyone suspicious of these? Second, assuming they're legit, what do you suggest I do with the original remnant on the Hornsby. The Hornsby was the left-most card on the strip and whoever originally cut it didn't cut the left side or bottom. Do I leave it be? or do I cut it? I understand the argument not to cut up an un-cut strip, but what about one already cut? And lastly, I know this may be a tacky question, but how do I value these, especially as they are cut (Also, I don't know how well you can see it but the Hornsby has a light crease across he middle)? From what I have read the two-tones are scarcer than the monochromes, but I haven't seen many sales to compare them to. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsbyfront4.jpg (18.8 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsbyback4.jpg (13.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Johnsonfront4.jpg (18.1 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Johnsonback4.jpg (12.5 KB, 400 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Look good,
I have never seen fakes or reprints of the 2 tone W560s.

They are much scarcer than the single color ones, but only sell for maybe 1.5- 2X more

Id leave them alone, or maybe cut some of the left border off the Hornsby, but that would be it. Make sure to keep the red lines.

PS the guides need to fix the date of this set... I never noticed, but the Hornsby says "Cubs", so would obviously have to be 1929 or later, not 1927.

I would also think the 2 tone ones were made first, and the the single color ones later (easier), but there is no proof that I know of.

Last edited by fkw; 02-17-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM
George E.

Default thanks

Thanks, Frank.

I've had your site bookmarked for a while now and reference it often.

Interesting observation on the year. I was going to counter with a comment about how '27 was Johnson's last year as a pitcher but then noticed he was back with the Senators as the manager in '29. And I suppose there are plenty of examples of card makers printing retired stars anyway.

George
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default real and....

I agree with Frank. They look real. I would leave them the way they are and not cut anything off. They look fine the way they are (to me). Happy you found our site and make yourself at home. It is usually a very friendly place. Some people call us "cliquish" but I would prefer to say we stick together and take up for each other more so than are a clique. Welcome aboard. regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw560sheet2colors.jpg (81.2 KB, 350 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Barry Arnold

Default W

welcome aboard!!!!
and as Leon suggests--don't touch 'em--they look great.

best,
barry
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Brad Green

The year of issue is pretty important for this set. Those that care about rookie cards have included this "1927" card as a rookie card for Lefty Grove (and probably other players). If the cards weren't issued until 1929, then this card may no longer be considered a rookie card for Lefty. That would open up a few other 1928 cards as candidates.

I wonder if the proposed 1929 year of issue for the Johnson and Hornsby above is consistent with other players in the set. Is Ty Cobb in the set? His last year was 1928. If he is not in the set, then a 1929 year of issue would be consistent with that.