NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Another new T206 collector, wondering how you guys store/show your cards.

Posted By: Geoff T

Hey all, I just started my T206 collection about 2 weeks ago. It started with a bit of interest, which grew into downloading and reading Scott Readers "Inside T206", which escalated into my dream of building the set.

Anyway, I now have 5 cards of various conditions and was hoping to store them in a binder with each card going into a numbered slot corresponding with its number in the set (Jack Quinn going into slot 297, McGraw w/cap in 238). Maybe this seems a little weird but I think it would be cool to see the set visually come together. I don't want to use normal sized card pages though. So my first question would be, do any custom t206 sized card pages exist?

If the answer is no my next question is how do you all display or store your set?

I would love to be able to do my idea, but if it's not possible it's not possible.

Look forward to the responses!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default Another new T206 collector, wondering how you guys store/show your cards.

Posted By: T206Collector

...to build a set!

What you're looking for is here:

http://www.the2buds.com/supg15.htm

...and probably elsewhere, too. But I'd go with Ultra Pro.

Remember, the Monster wants you to quit; don't let it!

Also, there's only one way to eat the Monster: one bite at a time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray Piskadlo

Yes, there are Ultra-Pro tobacco pages.

They hold 15 cards per page (3 rows of 5 cards).

They are available on eBay. You need 35 pages to cover 525 cards.

I am currently using them for my beaters "set" (200+ so far). I divided my set the way Beckett does... 1st Pros, 2nd Minors, 3rd SL. The backs look cool if you have a lot of variety!

They do work, the biggest complaint being that they are very long and narrow, making it difficult to put cards in and out. If you have nice cards, I wouldn't use them, too much of a chance to damage them in the process.

Here is a scan of a page...

Hope this helps!
Best regards,
Ray Piskadlo

Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I think they work great! Just dont put the cards all the way to the bottom or else they are tough to get back out.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

The only other problem doing it with the 15-pocket Ultra-Pro pages is when you pick up any graded cards. To handle those cards you need to use the pages that only hold 4 cards. This leads to a much larger binder.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Wow, those pages with the graded cards look absolutely awesome!

Thanks for all the replies, I can't wait to add more to my collection.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: LK

I store my T206s and T205s in TEN size sleeves before I store them in top loaders and binder sheets. They can be found in t206museum site.

http://www.t206museum.com/page/tensizesleeves.html

Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I have a website for ebay items and items I sell on my online store, but I consider everything mine until sold - its a great way to keep track of my items. I do have few items in boxes and many have extra plastic - best way is plastic containers or binders and top loaders.

Take Care Jimmy@
J&B Sports Auctions

www.jbsportsauctions.com

Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Great to have another T206 Collector with us.
It's a fabulous hobby!
My approach to storing is a bit cumbersome entailing a mix of home safes and
a safe deposit box so I'm not much help there.
Gratefully, I did find the time to hang with all 511 different comrades for
3 hours this evening.
Remember the Monster will want you to quit. Don't listen to it.

all the best,
Barry

Old 08-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

JK, do you know of a website I can find the graded card pages? I can only find a few on ebay and they're charging $3.25 a page plus a minimum of $4 shipping.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Dustin,

The sheets that you are seeing on ebay are probably the rigid sheets for holding bgs and psa cards. I do not like those sheets at all and they are very expensive (plus, they arent made to hold sgc). The sheets I use for sgc cards can be found at the link below (they are standard ultra pro 4 pocket sheets and can be found at numerous hobby supply shops). The only thing I will recommend is put a small piece of tape on the top two pockets to keep the slabs securely in the pockets (if you look at my picture above, you can barely see the tape on the left side of each of the top pockets, straight above the left edge of each flip - its more evident on the side showing the back of the cards since the tape is longer on the reverse) as the pockets have a tendency to stretch and get a little looser over time. Here is the link:

http://www.the2buds.com/supg4.htm

Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1168815996/

Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Joe, do those Detroit players have different backs? Or is there a variation on the front? Or do you just like duplicates?

Thanks joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Does this scan answer your question?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Nice collection of Detroiters there Joe. Penny sleeves and toploaders for me, not original, but I'm a shuffler. My toploaders are so scratched I can barely see through them anymore.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Drew

Hi Joe
Those red background Tigers look great.

Drew

Old 08-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Make sure they are not displayed publically near any direct, or indirect sun light...It sounds like common sense, but I am amazed at valuable collectibles made of paper, (or any other items) that people have hanging in their offices and homes that get blasted by the sun sometime during the day. HUGE NO NO.....it will destroy them. If UV resistant glass is used....I'd still try and avoid light...it helps, but not 100%. If only 5% of the rays are getting in...it's still bad. If light weren't a factor, I'd havea lot more things out on display.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I went so far as to make "place holders" for all the cards I didn't have. Filled each space of the 15 card holders I had, with the name and any discription of the card I didn't have in its numeric place. With each card I got, I was able to throw away the plain white sheet with the info and replace it with the real card. Made it easy to set goals... one card on each page. Now two cards on each page. That page has 8 cards, fill it up.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Mike, assuming your response is directed at me. They're on the same wall as the window and that is the only window in the room... so there's never any direct sunlight. Is it still okay?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

...in a box -- a safety deposit box, with moisture resistant packets. The ones that are not safety deposit box worthy are kept in graded card boxes and away from anything resembling a light, heat or cooling source.

If light didn't fade cards, I'd have them on my wall, too.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

How strong are the sgc holder pages? I really like how that looks.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

all stored away
safe deposit + home storage
all in boxes, no plastic page/binders
I use the website to get my fix when needed - (it's somewhat effective)
www.freewebs.com\chisywact

Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David B

Trae - I love that display! To me, this is what collecting is all about. I need to look at these cards everyday. I have 2 similar oak cabinets in my basement holding a graded T206, T205, T202, and T201 cards (I need to ask my father-in-law to make a couple more). They are mostly SGC and the borders look great. Wish I had a picture at work to scan. They are mainly 30's and 40's so I don't have a ton of cash hanging on my walls waiting for a hockey puck or basketball to go through (thanks to 3 great kids!).

Take care,
Dave

Old 08-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

...I just do it on-line.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Justin,

very strong - though I do store my albums/cards in a safe laying flat just to avoid putting undue strain on the pages due to the weight of the cards.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Trae - Love your display.

Ed - That's exactly what I was hoping to do. I ordered my pages a couple days ago, can't wait to get started.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hello Geoff,

I started by keeping white border tobacco cards in the 3x5 hard holders, with sleeves. I kept them rubber banded together. After a while I bought a long white box with a lid, it had 2 rows inside, and the hard holders fit perfectly. I loved it at the time, and now perceive it as wasted money.

After a couple of years I pulled the cards out, and put them in a ring binder, in 9 pocket sheets. That gradually filled. And eventually, if you did that, you'd find that you had so many cards in there of such a value that you start thinking about moving them to a safety deposit box. And that is an excellent place for the cards. I'd be worried about someone breaking into my house one day if I kept all of my cards at home. Realistically, some of the 80's and 90's stuff I'd give to a thief, if one shows up.

I then saw those nice 15 pocket sheets, perfect for the white border tobacco cards. So I won a big box of them on eBay. Now the binder would hold more cards, 67% more than the 9 pocket sheets!

But, if you're going to tuck cards away in a safety deposit box, or a safe, space becomes critical. I now store my white border cards in a small box in which my business cards were shipped. It is about 6 1/2 inches long, almost 4 inches wide, and just over 2 inches deep. It will easily hold a set of 524, or 520. With room for a few duplicates and back varieties. It takes up about as much space as maybe 8 slabbed cards. And I have my cards sorted by team, then alphabetically. Which is how the old timers did it years before Dr. Beckett came on the scene. With that sorting, it is easy to see the progression of card changes, portraits, uniform design, and the like, you can see Zach Wheat added to the existing Brooklyn players, and understand why a Hall of Fame player has only one T206 card. I understand Ted Z's method of sorting, which is by brand and series, then alphabetically, which would get someone to the chronological order of issue. That makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is a purely alphabetical listing, and where a player has multiple cards his cards aren't listed chronologically, but based on a description of the front. That is the system most folks use. And it doesn't lend itself well to an understanding of baseball history, or the history and development of baseball cards.

I understand that most folks think stacking the cards up as I do is nuts. I had a small cigar box that I used, instead of this business card box. But the business card box fits better in a safety deposit box. So there they are. But wouldn't a cigar box full of white, gold and brown border cards look nice, with a handful of red Cracker Jack cards on top...

All of this reminds me of a story I heard about a collector of years ago. He had a fairly good collection, lots of cards. He started selling and trading the sets and near sets off, and was trading and buying really tough cards. Eventually he got things down to where his collection would fit in his shirt pocket. Cobb tobacco cards, a Plank white border, a 33 Lajoie, a Lindstom US Caramel, a Bump Hadley Tattoo Orbit, E90-1 Mitchell, a Lowdermilk brown border... a couple of dozen nice cards. A fine collection. One that would fit under the bed.

So here's a photo of how I store my white border tobacco cards, those T206s. When I saw your post a few days ago I knew I had to go get my cards and take a photo for you.

Frank.