NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Unique 19th Century Images (CDV's,Tintypes,Cabinet Cards,Albumens,Ambrotypes,Dags)

Posted By: ramram

Let's see 'em.

Even if you've posted them on "the other side" post them here. Let's liven this place up!

(No OJ cabinets please, just unique stuff)

Rob M.

Mutrie and some of his boys (albumen image):

Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Unique 19th Century Images (CDV's,Tintypes,Cabinet Cards,Albumens,Ambrotypes,Dags)

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary Passamonte

Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

1892 Maryland School for the Deaf baseball team

1893 Doane College Football CDV

1888 New Hampshire football team photo

1892 Hill School of Pottsville PA football photo

Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Gary- always great to revisit the Liege Colburn (sp) CdV. One of the earliest baseball ones known.

Rob- I'm very familiar with that Giants cabinet and that is clearly Jim Mutrie, but I can't identify a single other player. Who are those guys?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

What I believe:

By uniform this should be the 1888 team.

Front L to R - Canonball Titcomb, Elmer Cleveland?, Elmer Foster, George Gore, Canonball Crane
Back L to R - Stump Weidman (or possibly Gil Hatfield), (Mickey Welch? or Bill George? or Mike Tiernan?), Jim Mutrie, Mike Slattery, Pat Murphy (or possibly Tim Keefe).

Of course, you know how it goes trying to identify people in old photographs.

Rob M.

P.S. The guys holding baseballs often are pitchers which sometimes can be a small help to identify these early baseball images.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

1870s mini tintype, I sold it not to long ago

was in a small album with other photos, could never identify, I keep it in my contacts page on my website because it is such a neat item to display

you can see the bats, and all the players are dressed the same

Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Joe, is that Abe Lincoln in the stovepipe hat? And is that John Wilkes Booth in the background?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Jimmy- that tintype looks like it might be late 1860's. Did you do any photo i.d. on it? I've never seen it before and it has that important look to it. And you called it a mini-tintype. Is that the actual size as you pictured it?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

I remember seeing that one on ebay many months ago. I believe it was a gem tintype (about an inch square roughly). Content is great! Everything about it looks like 1860s.

Rob M.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Barry and Rob,

I really did not have time to research the photo as the first person who looked at it wanted, was one of my good customers. It was only about 1 inch square as stated above - I do know it was from an old house in Vermont and yes it was on eBay. I could no remember the name, but the word gem tintype seems familiar, even the rest of the photos in the case were amazing to look at. The style does have that 1860s or early 1870s look, the seller stated it was 1870s – but with something this old it can be hard to tell. I do know that tintypes were used more in the 1870s and 1880s. This was a very interesting piece that is why I wanted to keep a copy of the photo.

Take care

Jimmy

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I am pretty sure that is Abe Lincoln.

And, Wyatt Earp is looking on from the back of the crowd.

In the front row... a young Cap Anson looks on at this exhibition of a game called base ball and reportedly said to the kid next to him... "maybe I will give this game a try".

Actually - this might be Abe Lincoln's, Wyatt Earps, and Cap Anson's rookie card.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Joe- I think I also see the Beatles in that stereoview.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Joe, that's funny but Wild Bill Hickock did umpire a game in Kansas.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Holy Crap! I think I see Honest Abe in your picture too Clint.

Seriously though...great pic. Do you know who the teams are?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, I wish I did. Most of the baseball played during this time was on the Eastern boarder. The photo was taken by a woman photographer from Sabetha,Ks., but most photographers traveled around. I talked with some Kansas photo experts and they had her listed from another town, but in the 1890 era. This was obviously an important game as one team holds a box probably containing a trophy bat. I need to get up Sabetha sometime and go through some newspaper archives.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

won this in the REA auction

Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Joe- you know the man standing 6th from the left is Harry Wright. I assume Rob mentioned that in his description.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Barry,
It was mentioned, and was 1 of the reasons I wanted it.
I can ID Polhemus as the huge guy on the right of top hat guy.
Any one else look familiar? I think this was a year too early for Creighton. Am I right?
Also, I have no intention of selling this anytime soon; should I frame it? I want to protect it from damage, light, etc.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Creighton was with the team from 1860 until his death in 1862, so he is not in the photo. He played for the Star of Brooklyn in 1859. Yes, I think you would enjoy it if you framed it and put it on the wall.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

1884 Columbus team (American Association) large albumen in original frame:

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam Baxter

Joe,

Congrats on winning the Knickerbocker/Excelsior photo, I think it was a steal. I can help with a few of the ID's:

second from left - James Whyte Davis

third from left - Charles De Bost

sixth from left - Harry Wright

guy in overcoat and top hat - Dr. Joseph B. Jones

to right of Jones - Henry Polhemus

sixth from right - John B. Holder

fifth from right - Edwin Russell

far right - Thomas Reynolds

As Barry stated, this photo was taken before Creighton's time on the Excelsiors. Despite his absence however, it's still a great piece and I would guess that a few of the players have no other known photos.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Adam,
Thanks for the ID help. I wasn't sure if it was a "steal" or not. The description made it sound as if
it was a period photo of the original photo (due to a drastic shortage of copy machines back then)
and that the original was thought to not exist anymore. Which, in my head at least, would make this
the "new" original.
I'd been outpriced on about 5 other lots and really wanted this one, but couldn't stay up until the auction closed.
I was actually surprised that I'd won it — considering some of the huge prices that were out there for other items.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

There is a possibility that the original exists, and the one you purchased from REA is of an indeterminate date but likely quite a bit later than 1859.

I also recall that the Spalding Collection at the New York Public Library has a negative of this image, and it is reasonable to assume that Al Spalding had copies made for friends and alumni of the two teams as requested.

I should add that of course the negative hadn't been invented by 1859, so maybe an original was reshot at some later date.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Barry,
I'm aware that most likely there are other copies of this out there.
Hopefully, not too many though.
I think there was a copy at the Hall of fame the last time I was there.
Do you need an appointment to see the Spalding collection? I'm in Queens so it wouldn't be too
difficult to get to the library. Would they loan out items at all? I know some art museums do this.
Wishful thinking I guess.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

It used to be easy to make an appointment to see the Spalding Collection but it is tougher today. You need a reason, such as you are writing an article or need to do major research, and there's some red tape when you get there. But ultimately you can get to see it.

And no, they don't lend out items from the collection. What if you took out a cabinet card worth 10K and just called the next day and said Gee, I think I lost it. That wouldn't work too well.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

He once gave a speech in Eddie Plank's hometown.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Steve- I have no idea what street Eddie Plank lived on...do you know his Gettysburg address?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Funny you should ask... You may or not know, but Eddie gave tours of the Battlefield after BB.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Plank played for Gettysburg College...Which I happen to have a few pics of the baseball teams, but these were just a few years after Plank had already gone.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

1890's trimmed cabinet card of an unidentified Cuban X-Giants player.

Rob M.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Anonymous team (undated) and batsman (dated 1888 on reverse).

Any ideas on who the team is?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

The team looks to be from the 1880's, and it is uncommon to see bib jerseys. They were pretty dated by then. I think the team and batter may forever remain unnamed, but it looks like the LJO is actually L..JO. I think I detect a space (I may be wrong, it could be LJO as I look at it again).

Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Any wild guesses on what LJO could be? If there were a "U" for university or "C" for college or "S" for school that might help. All I can come up with is Larry Johnson's Orphanage. Somehow I don't think that's it.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

1886/1887 Habana (Cuba) Championship team. Bust shots of the players as well as a central albumen photo of the teams executives with the championship flag.

Rob M.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Old 06-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Hey Gary- that's a super CdV. I don't think I've seen it before. Do you know anything about it?

Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Barry,

I bought it from Mark Rucker in the mid 90s. It pictures the Agallians of Wesleyan University of Middletown,CT. It is pictured on p.22 in Mark's 1988 book, Baseball Cartes. I'm sure it is one of the earliest images to include the bases, including the home plate, as well as the pitching plate.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

You just jogged my memory. I remember it now.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Just sold this one on ebay(though its still in my hands)bought on bst a while back, guess its a minor league squad from 1893...

Old 06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Here's my 1869 Cincinnati Team Albumen Photo removed long ago from its Peck & Snyder card.......

Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I bought the oversized cabinet of the player on eBay several years ago. The cabinet card was produced by Blanchards of Montpelier, VT. A couple of years later, I won the team photo from the same company:

Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I bought the oversized cabinet of the player on eBay several years ago. The cabinet card was produced by Blanchards of Montpelier, VT. A couple of years later, I won the team photo from the same company:

Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

The first is a 1893 team photo of the Doane College Football team. Any ideas what is up with that the outfit the guy is wearing who is standing farthest back in the photo? Is that some sort of referee outfit?

The second is a cabinet photo of the captain of the Yale Crew team of 1884 (I have his name written down, but it escapes me now). It was custom for Yale sports team captains to pose in front of the famous Yale fence. Below the cabinet photo is a photo of Walter Camp from a few years earlier during his days as captain of the football team posing in front of the fence.

Last is a very large cabinet photo of the 1898 Princeton freshman football team.