NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Joshua Van Pelt

Default Babe Ruth Ball Rejected by Heritage

Nothing new here, just thought I'd share my story. I brought about 100 signed items to Heritage offices in NYC about 2 years ago. All of the items were from the estate of a family member. Many of the items did not pass initial inspection, as to be expected. A few more failed PSA authentication. Almost every one had junk or no COA. There were many nice items that did pass and were sold.

This Ruth Ball had both a Match and GAI LOA.

2002 Match LOA by Christopher Schutte

2003 LOA & COA from GAI

Sadly, you can see he paid $10,995 for the ball.

I've only restarted collecting cards recently (after selling through his collection) and I am sure you all have dealt with and discussed this issue to death. Just a shame.

I let the kids play with most of the cheap junk signed balls but for some reason I can't part ways with the Ruth (or Cobb or Ott) even though they are likely not real. Knowing he paid $11,000 probably has a lot to do with it.

Joshua Van Pelt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Thecafewha; 03-10-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Interesting that Heritage rejected it. Doesn't Mike Gutierrez work for them now?

Anyway, Gutierrez' name is on the Global COA, so perhaps he had a change of mind along the way...

Regardless, I do not think that Goldsmith Ball is as early as 1928 (as was stated in the letter of provenance).

Last edited by perezfan; 03-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Joshua Van Pelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Regardless, I do not think that Goldsmith Ball is as early as 1928 (as was stated in the letter of provenance).

That was one of their concerns. They didn't even send to PSA, they sent pic internally while I was there and sent me home with it.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM
keith janosky

Get ahold of Heritage and ask to speak to Gutierrez and ask him why it didn't pass authentication since he said it was real to begin with. It says right on the GAI COA "Guaranteed Authentic". Doesn't say "Our Opinion" like they say now it specificly says "Guaranteed Authentic". Worth a shot. Make these TPA's responsible for there actions and don't just blow it off as an Oh Well.

Last edited by keithsky; 03-10-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Brendan Mullen

Sadly, the Ruth is no good.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Richard Simon

I disagree with the previous authentications and agree with PSA.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-10-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

I'm not to experienced with autographs but would have to agree with Heritage. It's their reputation and turning away a piece means turning away money. Their authenticators also didn't like the Ty Cobb ball. I junked everything they rejected except for 5 balls and 1 signed book.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:09 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Sadly, the Ruth is no good.
Brendan, I know nothing whatsoever bout auto's but can you tell me what is dead give away that this is not the real McCoy?
thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Brendan Mullen

At a quick glance.....

1. The "a" is too fat.
2. The "e" looks too much like a backwards "3". The middle should not come to a point (per se), but rather a mound if that makes sense.
3. The "u" is just off.

Tough to explain via email, is easier in person, but hopefully you understand!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Is it just me, or does the Ruth look like ballpoint? If so, that would be another giveaway, as ballpoints didn't become popular until the mid-fifties.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Is it just me, or does the Ruth look like ballpoint? If so, that would be another giveaway, as ballpoints didn't become popular until the mid-fifties.
Towards the end of his life, Ruth signed quite a few postcard-sized photos in ballpoint.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Dan Bretta

This is a baseball I used to own, it's a Goldsmith 97 League baseball and it's signed by the 1938 Clinton Owls of the Three I League. Goldsmith was still using black and red stitching in 1938
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldsmith1.jpg (31.8 KB, 439 views)
Old 03-11-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
This is a baseball I used to own, it's a Goldsmith 97 League baseball and it's signed by the 1938 Clinton Owls of the Three I League. Goldsmith was still using black and red stitching in 1938
Hi Dan,
I'm quite certain that Goldsmith used the black and red stitching in 1939 as well.
After Vander Meer's unprecedented back-to-back no-hitters in 1938, Goldsmith signed Vandy to a lucrative endorsement deal that debuted in the 1939 season.
The 1939 version of their Official League ball w/ Vandy had black and red stitching. In 1940 or 1941 they went to all red stitching. I believe that the transition year was 1940, FWIW.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-11-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I don't know how you guys shell out big bucks for Ruth autographs. I can't do it. To me there is so much fraud in this end of the pool I just can't even stick a toe in.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

The only autos in my PC are from the 1980's when I was a kid. My parents took me to the bbc shows in Atlantic City and even got pictures of me getting them signed.

I can't rationalize spending crazy money on an autograph but I have paid stupid amounts for action figures. If it's not what you collect or deal in it always seems odd to spend so much.

Joshua Van Pelt
Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I don't know how you guys shell out big bucks for Ruth autographs. I can't do it. To me there is so much fraud in this end of the pool I just can't even stick a toe in.
It's really a shame you feel that way - it's a very special moment when an authentic Ruth-signed item arrives in the mail. Glad to say I've had it happen three times and hope it happens at least once more.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Brendan Mullen

It's really a shame you feel that way - it's a very special moment when an authentic Ruth-signed item arrives in the mail. Glad to say I've had it happen three times and hope it happens at least once more.

Well said. If you do your homework, and don't just purchase an autograph blindly, or simply rely on a cert, the outcome can be much more enjoyable.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree. It's like any other segment of collecting...

Know your stuff, do the necessary legwork, and subsequently you won't get burned. Most of us have made a few mistakes along the way, and there is a definite learning curve. There are fakes, fantasies and reproductions of almost every segment this hobby has to offer... Broadsides, Pennants, Ad Signs, Fans, Bats, Gloves, Balls, Statues, Programs, Cards, and yes- autographs.

But we learn from the mistakes and move on. There are many Ruth autos out there that I'd feel 100% comfortable with. OK, maybe 99.9%