NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2024, 09:42 AM
Jimmy

I think it is just lack of experience from the graders and not enough good vintage graders for these types of cards. Sorry for the issues and have had similar problems in the past with other prewar cards. I like silks and have had problems even when SGC does grade them, some come back authentic – really and they should get a numerical grade. SGC has graded these for a long time. What is PSA going to do now? grade them as well because SGC does – most likely not – simply crazy. All you can do is move on and keep on collecting - Jimmy
Old 04-26-2024, 10:16 AM

Default T204

So I think if SB's point were rigorously applied, they would never give a numerical grade to Zeenuts lacking the coupon, and they do (I have a bunch). They are also "separated" from ~1/4-1/3 of the card.

I spoke to SGC, and they said my points were "well taken."
Old 04-26-2024, 11:05 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I can't help but wonder if SGC's new masters are calling the shots re. your T204 blank backed card.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:09 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default $15 no mas

I've sent around 1500 pre-war cards to PSA and over 2000 pre-war cards to SGC over the last decade. I have had WAY MORE aggravating moments with PSA than with SGC. That being said, both companies have had my blood pressure up with mistakes and/or questionable grades...NEVER have I had the inclination to go online and rant-blast either of them because I have seen it done a hundred times by as many people, and this tells me that neither service is perfect and that I'm not special in that regard. Its part of the modern hobby...
Old 04-26-2024, 11:19 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Not that big a deal, they're only baseball cards, not worth getting that upset about.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:58 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would just display the card in a rigid toploader and call it a day. The Devo-esque bar code clashes with the ornate and antique beauty of the card anyway.

That said... there is a huge opportunity for a new Grading Company to rival SGC with the black apron. Would love to see it happen... or perhaps CSG can make the investment and change away from the unsightly baggie.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This one took months to get back from PSA; then I noticed the error and figured I'd call it a day.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:08 AM
Howard Chernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This one took months to get back from PSA; then I noticed the error and figured I'd call it a day.

Jeffrey,
This would upset me more than anything. If they couldn't get the label right, I can't imagine how I would trust their grading. I hope they corrected it for you.
It's a beautiful piece.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-26-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I would just display the card in a rigid toploader and call it a day.
My answer all day long. And wait!--it only took one second to complete the process and cost you a few cents for the top loader. And look at all that money and aggravation that was saved.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:56 PM

I agree with you guys that it is, after all, just cardboard and a hobby to avoid the distractions of a pretty scary world.

I was fishing to see if I was missing something with their verdict on the T204 and to give a heads-up to anyone who may be thinking of submitting a blank-backed card to SGC. Full disclosure: they agreed to crack the card for me if I sent it back and agreed to a refund for the grading. They also agreed with the idea of being more explicit about what they do and do not grade on their website, as other TPGs have done. Hopefully, this will save others some trouble.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:25 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsports33 View Post

...All you can do is move on and keep on collecting...
I found this point both poignant and universally applicable to all aspects of the hobby we may find objectionable.

SGC, PSA, Kurt's Card Care, auction houses, eBay, certain types of collectors, breakers, content creators, and other random nonsense. There's enough crap within this hobby. All we can really choose is how these things affect us.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra