NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 PM
rgpete

Default Possible 3 Types of Ruth 1928 Harrington's

Type 1 “ No Quarts Back” The top 2 pictures, the back of the card has no
sentence for "Babe Ruth may be saved for quarts of ice cream"

Type 2 “Quarts Back”The middle 2 pictures the back of the card has the sentence for
"Babe Ruth may be saved for quarts of ice cream"

Type 3 “Apostrophe Ruth”The last 2 pictures same back as Type 2
but the apostrophe before the '(6) on the front.

Type 1 & Type 2 have the same border notch lower left side

apostrophe can used be for omission of letters or numbers

The first 4 pictures or from the internet the last 2 or mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth 1.jpg (186.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth 1-2.jpg (193.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Babe Ruth 2.jpg (40.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Babe Ruth 2-2.jpg (87.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg (76.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg (64.1 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 04-09-2024 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:26 PM
Doug Goodman

I know nothing about these cards, but looks like three variations to me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth 1.jpg (179.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Now Ruth master set collectors are going to go nuts!! I can barely afford the tax on most nice Ruth's nowadays.

To the OP's point, nice discovery. It's little things like this that help keep collecting ineresting.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Now Ruth master set collectors are going to go nuts!! I can barely afford the tax on most nice Ruth's nowadays.

To the OP's point, nice discovery. It's little things like this that help keep collecting interesting.
I LOVE this kind of stuff.

And those of us with what I think of as a "Topps variation" mindset, note that the "A" in the word "Also" on the back of the Type 3 “Apostrophe Ruth” is cut off at the top.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-11-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:23 PM
rgpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I LOVE this kind of stuff.

And those of us with what I think of as a "Topps variation" mindset, note that the "A" in the word "Also" on the back of the Type 3 “Apostrophe Ruth” is cut off at the top.
I noticed that too with the cut off A in Also , it’s consistent with the other graded “Apostrophe Ruth’s” that I have seen online.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:04 PM
rgpete

I would like to find out more about the Type 3 “Apostrophe Ruth” such as, was it an unintentional printer’s flaw with the apostrophe/mark on front. Could it have been used for the promotion of “Save the Ruth cards for quarts of ice cream” for example a certain amount of Ruth cards plus 1 Apostrophe Ruth card or a certain amount of Apostrophe Ruth cards to get the quart of ice cream. Was it when the Ruth cards were turned in , the “ Apostrophe Ruth” would replace those cards given to the Harrington’s in exchange for a quart of ice cream, and the cards turned in would be destroyed.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:36 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Was it when the Ruth cards were turned in , the “ Apostrophe Ruth” would replace those cards given to the Harrington’s in exchange for a quart of ice cream, and the cards turned in would be destroyed.
That would mean that stores would have had to have a supply of the apostrophe cards waiting to be exchanged which is highly unlikely.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:42 AM
rgpete

I would think they would have all cards on hand to be handed out with each ice cream purchase or redemption. Just like Dairy Queen Team USA baseball cards were handed out with a purchase of the USA helmet sundae.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:47 AM
Doug Goodman

Is that how the cards were distributed, at the store with a purchase of ice cream?

If that's the case, with a Ruth card being worth a free ice cream, it seems like they would have less of them, or at least hand them out less frequently.

Also, I don't see them replacing your card when you turn it in for your free ice cream, I just see them giving you an ice cream.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:59 AM
rgpete

Quote:
Is that how the cards were distributed, at the store with a purchase of ice cream?

If that's the case, with a Ruth card being worth a free ice cream, it seems like they would have less of them, or at least hand them out less frequently.

Also, I don't see them replacing your card when you turn it in for your free ice cream, I just see them giving you an ice cream.
I would think the Ruth would be taken for the Ice Cream Novelty and not given back but for the quarts of Ice Cream, who knows, it could be a corrected printing flaw or a gimmick needed for the quart of Ice Cream thank you for your responses it’s a mystery
Old 04-13-2024, 01:50 PM
rgpete

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-13-2024, 02:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I would think the Ruth would be taken for the Ice Cream Novelty and not given back but for the quarts of Ice Cream, who knows, it could be a corrected printing flaw or a gimmick needed for the quart of Ice Cream thank you for your responses it’s a mystery
I think it's a typo.

I think it has nothing having to do with the redemption(s), and I think when cards were redeemed (Ruth for the single, a full set for a gallon) nobody got any cards back in the deal, just ice cream.

Am I possibly wrong? Absolutely, but it would make no sense for cards to be returned to the person redeeming them for ice cream. That would mean variations of cards that shopkeepers would have needed to keep track of, and effectively two different supplies of cards used for two different reasons and that's more work than any shopkeeper would care to be involved in, and that's not to mention the possible employees of those shopkeepers, and it's all just a recipe for disaster for the shop inventory.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-13-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:52 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I think it's a typo.

I think it has nothing having to do with the redemption(s), and I think when cards were redeemed (Ruth for the single, a full set for a gallon) nobody got any cards back in the deal, just ice cream.

Am I possibly wrong? Absolutely, but it would make no sense for cards to be returned to the person redeeming them for ice cream. That would mean variations of cards that shopkeepers would have needed to keep track of, and effectively two different supplies of cards used for two different reasons and that's more work than any shopkeeper would care to be involved in, and that's not to mention the possible employees of those shopkeepers, and it's all just a recipe for disaster for the shop inventory.
I agree it is most likely an incorrect typeset or unintended stray mark, but I do believe it's possible for the cards to have been returned with the ice cream redemption. It would be easy for the store owner to simply stamp cancelled on the redeemed cards or hole punch them-- it has been done with other card sets. Of course, the lack of any surviving cards with these qualities (to my knowledge anyway) suggests that if it happened that way, it wasn't very often.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:16 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I agree it is most likely an incorrect typeset or unintended stray mark, but I do believe it's possible for the cards to have been returned with the ice cream redemption. It would be easy for the store owner to simply stamp cancelled on the redeemed cards or hole punch them-- it has been done with other card sets. Of course, the lack of any surviving cards with these qualities (to my knowledge anyway) suggests that if it happened that way, it wasn't very often.
I agree with you that it's possible cards could have been returned, but only if they were marked as you mention, not with a different card. But if that were the case I would think that the majority of surviving examples would have been marked as redeemed. Especially the Ruth.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-13-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:07 PM
rgpete

It makes more sense that it is a mark from the print process along with the cut off “A”