NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Doug C.

Default SGC and Postwar Cards

I've wondered why there is such a discrepancy between the amount of PSA graded postwar cards compared to SGC graded ones. For example I just did an eBay search for "1952 Topps SGC" that resulted in 574 cards while a search of "1952 Topps PSA" resulted in 4,047. It seems like SGC is the preferred grading company for prewar cards, but are there any theories as to why they don't seem to be catching on with the postwar crowd?

Last edited by Doug; 09-16-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

One reason is the PSA Set Registry, for which PSA has a stranglehold over. SGC does not match up as well. And it's a vicious cycle. Set collectors often like the same holders, so they want all of a particular set to be from the same TPG. Since there are a lot more cards avail in PSA holders, they prefer to buy PSA cards, which gives PSA cards a premium pricing over SGC, so more people want to encapsulate in PSA holders and so continues the cycle. Other things that PSA does better, the half point system is better, the 1-10 is less confusing than the 10-100 (even though SGC does have mappings). Finally, modern collectors tend to be stricter towards centering. Since modern cards are generally in much better condition on the high scale than pre-war cards, centering rises in importance, and can be one of the most important criteria for collectors. PSA is stricter on the high end for centering than SGC is, so an SGC "8" does not map to a PSA 8 if the centering isn't there.

SGC does have a number of advantages, otherwise, they'd be like the outcast GAI right now. They've built a very nice niche in pre-war cards, so in many sets, there are many more cards encapsulated in SGC than PSA. They've been the first TPG to encapsulate many of the prewar sets, especially postcards. And as before, once they've built these advantages in prewar, they've held onto them pretty well, so that collectors with prewar cards tend to go with SGC more often. In addition, cards tend to look better in the SGC holder with the black background, SGC does not require a yearly membership fee, the turnaround time is generally much faster, and the fees tend to be slightly cheaper. Finally, a lot of collectors simply do not like PSA for various reasons, and with SGC's superior customer service, that draws in a lot of long time collectors and their cards.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think PSA also has a few years headstart.

I've only done a few prewar cards, all through SGC. It's pretty easy to do, and the holders do look really nice. I'm mostly grading some for the fun of it so far.

I've been considering doing some modern cards, and sending in modern ones would be more of a hunt for high grades that might be saleable. So I wanted to do PSA. The first step was checking the population reports to see which cards might be good ones to try. If there's a bunch of 9s out there I'm thinking it probably wont be worth it for commons.

But PSA charges for access to the population reports, so I'd have to just pick some. And they don't really tell you about that till you sign up, so now I get emails about grading coins, since they're part of a bigger grading concern. I'm not sure if they still require the $100 cover charge to be allowed to spend money with them, I think you can get cards graded without being in the club.

All in all, every time I look into spending money with PSA, they do something that makes me want to look elsewhere.

Steve B
Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Keith

PSA definitely has the edge over SGC in terms of volume of graded modern cards. However, I use SGC for all of my grading - vintage and modern. The combination of consistency, customer service, and presentation has won me over for good.

I think having less cards available can sometimes make for a more rewarding collecting experience, though, if you have the patience. For example, I'm working on a 1984 Donruss SGC Registry set, with a minimum grade of 96. I'm the only SGC registered set. Since there aren't that many SGC-graded '84D out there, I have to buy raw and submit to SGC, which has really been fun. I've been buying up cheap lots of commons, sorting through them carefully, and then only submitting those cards that I am certain will get a 96 or 98 to SGC. It really makes the set a challenge. If I was collecting the set in PSA holders, I could just go on eBay and scoop up cheap PSA 9s and 10s - but what would be the fun in that?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Timing. PSA was 1st by a long shot. I remember sending in my 1st 1952 Topps for slabbing in 1995 with PSA. It also created the registry idea with all the attendant consequences. I prefer SGC's service and holders but if I get something postwar graded it is going to be for resale and it will go to PSA. After all, business is business...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 AM
John Michael

As stated on their website, the SBC holder really is superior in appearance. Even the slab has a higher quality look to it, when compared to PSA, as does Becketts. And that black background does seem to enhance the cards looks, except perhaps for the Topps 1971's, for obvious reasons. I wonder why they don't use another color for that particular (my personally favorite) set.

Yet, post war they probably take a back seat to PSA and Becketts. Yet, I'm a collector, not an investor and would prefer to use them in grading a few non-standard sized sets. I was wondering how they do with Topps coins, Super cards, and Kelloggs?

Last edited by theseeker; 10-13-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

theseeker, SGC does not grade any coins and has a limit on card thickness, but they do grade most cards. On odd sized cards they usually charge for a custom insert made to fit each card, its usually a few bucks extra.

I have gotten a few colgans chips and zeenuts graded that needed them and they looked awesome afterwards esp compared to how the PSA slabs look.

vs the PSA holder where the chip was floating (not my card taken)-

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM
John Michael

Scott, thanks for the info. And what a stark example. Furthers my contention that whenever possible, SBC is the way to go.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Robert Williams

Bottom line - PSA gets higher prices than SGC. Recently, a 1960 common in a SGC 9 sold for $30. Same card in a PSA 9 sold for $150. If you are a seller, which slab would you rather have that card in?? 'Nuff said......
Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
John Michael

but, if you're the buyer............................................. ...........................
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Jeff

As long as their PSA counterparts routinely sell for more money than the SGC ones - the majority of the slabbed postwar cards will continue to be PSA.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."