NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
When Gym class was rained out one day AND the gym wasn't usable for some reason, we watched two NBA highlight films back to back. For a whole hour.
It probably wasn't, but my recollection is that 90% of it was Dr J dunking. Which was great for the first 10 minutes, but got old quick.

Part of it I think is that the style of play in the NBA has changed so much so many times it's become a "today" sort of sport as far as recognition of players from years ago.
If you want to see an incredible J highlight watch his final dunk in the 1976 ABA Slam Dunk contest. Mind boggling. Start at 11 24 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLV_TflJK0

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If you want to see an incredible J highlight watch his final dunk in the 1976 ABA Slam Dunk contest. Mind boggling. Start at 11 24 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLV_TflJK0
Peter,

Not only the dunks were mind boggling. I was at this game with my dad and a couple of friends and saw it live. Did that just happen? Luckily we were able to see the replays in the suites behind us to confirm we all didn't imagine the same thing.

https://www.nba.com/top-nba-finals-m...-game-4-finals
Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Ted Williams is certainly not underrated as a player, but his cards are all affordable. I think his rookie card is criminally undervalued.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Me too says the guy with a nice looking, mid grade, Teddy Ballgame...Have sold a few things lately but Teddy has stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Ted Williams is certainly not underrated as a player, but his cards are all affordable. I think his rookie card is criminally undervalued.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:04 PM
J0hn Collin$

I'm mainly focused on postwar, so here are my choices for most egregiously undervalued in comparison to the top names (Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Koufax...):

1. Frank Robinson. Only man to win the MVP in both leagues, power numbers with all of the other contemporaries, Triple Crown winner, and after his career as a player went on to break other barriers as first black manager and executive in a number of areas. Besides his 1957 rookie card, all of his other issues are generally wildly affordable. I picked up a nice upper mid-grade '61 Topps recently for I think less than $20. To me, that's insane - had Frank been a New York Yankee his entire career his cards would be ridiculously expensive.

2. Stan Musial. Will agree that at least in comparison to how I was brought up to think about Stan the Man in the 1980's, he's largely unappreciated today. You used to hear about how Ted Williams was the best hitter in the AL and Stan was the best in the NL, but most of that has gone by the wayside with people in more recent decades preferring to think of Williams as the greatest hitter who ever lived. I get it, I guess - but Stan was the real deal. Another whose cards besides the earliest issues are wildly affordable in comparison to someone like Mantle or Clemente.

3. Roy Campanella. Again, someone you just don't hear about that much anymore as compared to when I started collecting cards in the 1980's. Campy (who likely lost more at the beginning of his career due to the prejudice of the day than he did at the end due to the accident...) is still today routinely rated in the top 5 or so catchers who ever lived by polls taken by Sports Illustrated and other places online. But again cards mostly can be had on the cheap besides his RC.

4. Steve Carlton. In the 1980's many considered Lefty the greatest LHP of all-time. 300 game winner, 4x Cy Young winner, pitching triple crown winner, 2nd only to Ryan during his career on the all-time K list. There was accolade after accolade. Today though you can get a nice Carlton rookie for less than $100. I kind of don't get this one at all, it's like he fell totally off the radar once the Nolan Ryan mania set in for good in the early 1990's.

5. Willie McCovey. Let's face it, in SF with that Giants team, McCovey was a God - maybe even moreso than Willie Mays outside of New York. Yet today he's almost considered a 2nd tier HOF'er. Ask pitchers from back in the day who was the one NL slugger they really didn't want to face? Again, makes little sense to me - but ok.

I could keep going, but will stop with my first 5. Good idea for a thread...

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Jack Richards

What about Memo Luna? One inning, one game, one loss, one card (‘54B), but perhaps the coolest name in all of baseball...
Old 10-07-2019, 03:29 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Memo Luna has a great story. If he hadn't blown his arm out the winter before he made the majors 1954 might have been "Memomania" instead of 1981 being "Fernandomania"

I wrote and illustrated a piece on him which you can read Memo Luna: The Story Behind Card 222

His family in Mexico came across it and translated it for Memo. They wrote me a nice note and sent pictures of him signing a drawing I did of him.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackR View Post
What about Memo Luna? One inning, one game, one loss, one card (‘54B), but perhaps the coolest name in all of baseball...
Memo Luna is an interesting name, but wasn't there a guy with a prewar card or two named Ten Million? That has to be the coolest baseball name.