NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Default Americans' 10 Biggest Wastes of Money

Posted By: Gary Nuchereno

Until we get things straightened out on earth I
think we should give the space program a rest.
All those brilliant minds at NASA could get jobs
at FEMA.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

I like that, you are correct...

Old 09-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I don't know that these are in the spirit of the original question, but the costs sure as heck bug me:

(1) The salary of almost any Fortune 500 CEO

(2) The salary of almost all professional athletes

(3) Healthcare deductions from my paycheck

(4) The price of a 1.75 liter bottle of either Jack Daniels or Grey Goose

Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Kennedy (the 1st President I voted for) set forces in motion for the Vietnam War
in 1961....Johnson escalated it in Aug 1964 (phony Pueblo incident)....and it went
on and on for 12 very long years....until 1973, when Nixon ended it.
Over 50,000 Americans died and you talk about cost.....And, $$$$-wise it cost
many, many billions in $$$$'s of those days.

It divided our Nation and I wonder if we ever have really recovered from it. That, guys
and gals, is...."Americans' 10 biggest Wastes of Money"....all rolled up in one statement.
But, more significantly....a tremendous loss of precious lives that can never be recovered.
$$$$$$'s my friends can be recovered.

TOM B.

If you are keeping score....gas is $2.00/gal in Houston and $1.90/gal in Missouri.

T-Rex TED

Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

So what is the score, T-Rex?
What is the going rate for Grey Goose and Jack Daniels
in those areas?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Gary, I think underestimate the value of the space program. It's responsible for most of the major technological inovations over the past 40 plus years.

Pork barrel projects need to go. I remember back in the 80s, some senator attached a rider to bill for someone in district who got $5 million to test viscocity of ketchup and determine which one was the thickest.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeW

One of my favorite threads on this board yet… I think I’ve mentioned it before - I don’t think it’s an accident that the vintage card collecting community is full of sharp, intellectuals… Dare I say, in contrast to the average modern sports memorabilia collector?

I’m usually not guilty of blanket statements, but…

Perhaps it takes someone that can be fooled into thinking the more glitter on a card the better, to believe the Iraq War, etc. are good investments as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

You guys all make good points on wasted money. But back to the original post, "$1000 an hour to sign autographs" and then sold for $300 a piece. Who writes this stuff? Is it the same guy who wrote about the Wagner in the NY Post or Times? What ever happened to fact checking? I'm not sure you can get a batboy to sign for that amount these days. The guys that command $300 for an autograph are making over $100k per appearance. I'm not a big autograph guy but I've been tempted to jump into some lineups and shell out a few bucks for a signature here and there. I'm not sure I would ever purchase anything again on the secondary market. Jim.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

"One can only hope the saps who pay $700 for a baseball signed by disgraced steroid abuser Barry Bonds come to their senses. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/24/MNGE7KO8FP1.DTL>

Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've never understood the shows where ball players charge substantially
more to sign than his autograph is worth on the market.