NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Default Just wondering if anyone here collects Steiner or Upper Deck signed memorabilia?

Now that the series is over and football is in full steam, I've been seeing a lot of both companies marketing their "Memorabilia" for sale. STEEP prices as well.

At Steiner's home page, the very first thing you come to is;

Edgar Renteria Autographed MLB Baseball - $110

And the up to date description...

Edgar Renteria, shortstop for the SF Giants, has been an integral part of the Giants 2010 postseason run, and proved that by winning the 2010 WS MVP award. Edgar Renteria has hand signed this official MLB baseball in blue. A Steiner Sports Certificate of Authenticity is included.

They must have been lighting candles for Renteria to win the MVP (as he did) cause you gotta figure Lincecum is gonna sell no matter what and they were probably sitting on a boat-load of Edgars for a few years now.

Also, a quick search on ebay produced 12,608 hits while searching "Steiner Sports" under "title and descriptions"

The words "Upper Deck UDA" yielded 5,010 hits in "Autographed-Original" of which 465 were for sports cards.

That really seems like a whole lot of stuff in the secondary market and/or Small Ebay Retail Businesses.

I understand that after the Operation Bullpen crap in the 1990's that something had to be done to ensure the collecting public won't continue to flush their money down the toilet.

But it just seems to me that the two companies have inadvertently(?) instilled bloated values into their products.

Once I checked completed auctions... WOW the only UDA stuff selling for $300 or more is JORDAN (now that Tiger took a crap) and even his Airness only sold a handful of items.

Now after checking completed auctions for Steiner going from highest price first... only TWO out of the first 100 pieces sold. An Ali signed piece for $2500 and a Jeter Bat for $1500+

So... what's your take?

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Richard Simon

In my mind there is real memorabilia and manufactured memorabilia.
Steiner and Upper Deck deal in manfactured memorabilia and in the case of Upper Deck, sometimes it can be called destroyed manufactured memorabilia. I do not buy, sell or collect manufactured memorabilia.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

oh yes, these companies have bloated the item values big time by locking up some of the athletes to contracts and charging what they want. Mid 200's for Aaron and Mays? C'mon, even people with plenty of disposable income are looking at that twice...not because they can't afford it, but because they are tired of being raped. As for manufactured memorabilia, well, if they are destroying items to put on cards etc, then I'm against it. I do, however, like well put together items, like multiple signatures matted and put together to make a team display...but that's more for display purposes rather than value, at least for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Richard Simon

Mike- what you describe, a matted piece with individual autographs, to me that is not what I meant by manufactured memorabilia.
My own apartmet walls are full of matted and framed vintage autograph items.
Manufactured memorabilia is assembly line autographs in the hundreds or even thousands at a time, cards that people try to sell for ridiculous prices because Upper Deck cut up an autograph, and cut it badly and attached it to a limited edition card, limited edition lithos,prints,etc. that are limited to the number that they think people will buy, only 1000 available because we think the public will only buy 997.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The only time I buy items from either company is in the secondary market. I would never pay their inflated prices.

If something like that hits ebay or another auction (and there's an ability to pay actual market value) I sometimes go after it. It has little to do with being Steiner or UDA though... it's more about being an autograph or game-used item I want, that just happens to be authenticated by them.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone here collects Steiner or Upper Deck signed memorabilia?
I can honestly say that I do not have anything signed by Brandon Steiner.

I do have the autographs of several players though that are certified by, and bought directly from Steiner.

And yes, their regular prices are high, and I am sure that they sell plenty at those prices, but if you are patient, and on their email list, you can pay a fraction of the regular website price.

Recent items that I've picked up have been for as low as 40% of their regular price, which I found to be very reasonable.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Jimmy -

I find it quite depressing at times, perusing steinersports.com, reflecting on those times as a kid when I paid nominal sums at card shows for autographs. Now, we have this:

Large Speaker from the original Yankee Stadium: $750

Wille Mays signed 8 x 10 Photo: $250

Johan Santana autographed baseball: $220 (!)

Mariano Rivera autographed baseball: $420 (!!)

AJ Burnett (on sale) autographed baseball: $200 (!!!)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Steiner's direct prices have always been extremely high, but, as noted, you can get reasonable UDA and Steiner prices on the secondary market.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Jimmy -

I find it quite depressing at times, perusing steinersports.com, reflecting on those times as a kid when I paid nominal sums at card shows for autographs. Now, we have this:

Large Speaker from the original Yankee Stadium: $750

Wille Mays signed 8 x 10 Photo: $250

Johan Santana autographed baseball: $220 (!)

Mariano Rivera autographed baseball: $420 (!!)

Mays seems like a bargain price, considering that at The National it would have cost you $300 to have an 8x10 autographed, and at least through Steiner you don't have to put up with Mays' attitiude.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
You mean someone will pay me $200 to take an AJ Burnett signed ball off their hands. Not enough!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Ted Henschel

We sell quite a bit of Steiner and UDA stuff in our store, but most of it comes from collectors who purcahsed it direct, and get quite dissapointed when we explain to them the "real" value.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM

Default Steiner Sports/ UDA Authentics

I can honestly say that I don't own a single piece of either company's manufactured memoribilia in my collection and never will.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I can honestly say that I don't own a single piece of either company's manufactured memoribilia in my collection and never will.
Like wise Scott. But we have to understand that there has to be a thousand guys that do collect Steiner/UDA for every one of us... Not that there's anything wrong with it!

So my next questions for the board are... Why do you think that is? Why are we in the collecting minority?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Like wise Scott. But we have to understand that there has to be a thousand guys that do collect Steiner/UDA for every one of us... Not that there's anything wrong with it!

So my next questions for the board are... Why do you think that is? Why are we in the collecting minority?
Jimmy,
I don't think that there is any doubt that many of the collectors out there are scared that they might buy a bogus autograph of a player that they want to collect, thus Steiner and UDA exist. IMHO, as collectors we have a responsibility to educate ourselves on what we aspire to collect, or bad things can happen ( AKA "let the buyer beware").

It's also my opinion that people that do pony up the huge dollars for these overpriced UDA and Steiner sigs will undoubtedly "own them forever" because they never will get their money back out when they go to resell them down the line.

As the two of us have discussed via e-mail, as collectors we don't truly own these baseball "treasures". We're merely caretakers until we pass them along to other collectors somewhere down the line. I always consider whether I believe I can get my money back out of a purchase at some point in the future. What I'm basically doing is establishing an exit strategy upfront FWIW.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-05-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Jimmy,
I don't think that there is any doubt that many of the collectors out there are scared that they might buy a bogus autograph of a player that they want to collect, thus Steiner and UDA exist. IMHO, as collectors we have a responsibility to educate ourselves on what we aspire to collect, or bad things can happen ( AKA "let the buyer beware").

It's also my opinion that people that do pony up the huge dollars for these overpriced UDA and Steiner sigs will undoubtedly "own them forever" because they never will get their money back out when they go to resell them down the line.

As the two of us have discussed via e-mail, as collectors we don't truly own these baseball "treasures". We're merely caretakers until we pass them along to other collectors somewhere down the line. I always consider whether I believe I can get my money back out of a purchase somewhere down the line. What I'm basically doing is establishing an exit strategy upfront FWIW.
Once again we're in agreement Scott. As usual, your comments are well thought out with keen insight. My best, Jimmy
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Richard Simon

Just my quick two cents here,,, this thread has turned into a real interesting and well thought out one.
--
Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Yes, some very good points on this threads, especially CJ's.

I would think that a great many of Steiner's customers are not sports memorabilia collectors at all. They are merely baseball fans. If they love Derek Jeter they very well may want something signed by him. They haven't a clue what it's worth, but they want the guarantee it's real, and with Steiner I believe you can count on the fact that the signature is genuine. On the other hand if you are a serious collector and spend a good deal of time and money building a collection, it's likely that Steiner products will hold little or no appeal.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

The prices are certainly outrageuos when buying direct. I never buy from them direct, but I buy stuff from them off of ebay all the time at bargain prices. Last year I bought a Stan Musial UDA ball at auction with a bit of toning for about $30. I don't mind spending a bit more on something to ensure it's real.

As for the manufactured - cut up cards and such; they're garbage. Who'd rather have a piece of a signed check hacked up (usually badly) and arbitrarily inserted into a stupid 1/1 insert? I don't get that.

But, just for getting signed 8x10's or baseballs I think its a great way to go if you can find them for a cheap price on ebay or somewhere....
Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Bilko Glasier

I have purchased and i own many Steiner and UDA items. Items like autographed 8x10s, singed Baseballs, Hockey pucks, Footballs and Football helmets. The vast majority of these i have purchased on the secondary market and not directly from Steiner or UDA because as noted their prices are very high. To come to think of it out of all the Steiner and UDA items i own i have only purchased 3 or 4 of the items directly from Steiner.

Edit- After reading the rest of the thread, i thought i would mention (since it was asked) that i collect these items because i think they look great and i enjoy them as display pieces. I am a big sports fan and collect and enjoy not only the vintage side of the hobby but also the modern side of the hobby as well. Most of my Steiner/UDA items are displayed through out my house. I have many of the 8x10s and 16x20s hanging on my walls and then i also have a few display cases with autographed Baseballs, Hockey Pucks, Footballs and Football helmets. I also like the fact that i can buy authentic signed items with inscriptions shortly after an accomplishment takes place. For instance i am a big fan of Eli Manning and i collect him to some degree. Well literally about 2 weeks after he and the NY Giants won the Super Bowl a couple years back, i had an official NFL Superbowl ball (game model) signed and inscribed "Superbowl MVP" sitting on my mantel. I loved the fact that i could add an item like this to my collection so fast after the Superbowl took place.

Last edited by Bilko G; 11-09-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Chuck Tapia

I only have these 3 "made for tv movies" from upperdeck as well as a few balls. The fact that these are nothing more than manufactured crap, doesn't bother me a bit. It's my crap and I love'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mick SI.jpg (71.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Ted SI.jpg (72.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg my ted.jpg (65.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Jeff

I make it a point to not do business with any company whose prices make Sky Magazine look like a bargain.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Chuck Tapia

these were purchased second hand so, skymall prices do not apply. These are among the most recognizable, most sought after, easiest items to sell on e-bay... and they look great in an office. Paid short of 3 beans for the mantle, 2 beans for the SI Williams and 80.00 for the All Star game HR Williams. At least they're real and easily turned for cash At least you know they are real, so "paying for peace of mind" is worth something. Try to cheap out, sleep in the gutter. All these would have 50-60 watchers on e-bay. The Mantle would auction at 430-450, if you can ever find it. The Williams can sell for 250-300, and you won't see it at auction too often either, so I fail to see how these fall into the Skymall territory?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
these were purchased second hand so, skymall prices do not apply. These are among the most recognizable, most sought after, easiest items to sell on e-bay... and they look great in an office. Paid short of 3 beans for the mantle, 2 beans for the SI Williams and 80.00 for the All Star game HR Williams. At least they're real and easily turned for cash At least you know they are real, so "paying for peace of mind" is worth something. Try to cheap out, sleep in the gutter. All these would have 50-60 watchers on e-bay. The Mantle would auction at 430-450, if you can ever find it. The Williams can sell for 250-300, and you won't see it at auction too often either, so I fail to see how these fall into the Skymall territory?
My post was not directed @ acquiring them secondhand was it? I was speaking to the source. They are beautiful pieces and if you buy them right you can get your money back. The original buyer is probably not as fortunate and hence the SkyMall reference.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-20-2010 at 10:57 AM.