NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Exactly What Percentage of All ML players become Hall-of-Fame players?

Just FYI on a boring Tuesday night:

I have always heard that it was the top 1%, but a little research indicates a difference:

BaseballAmerica's 2018 Almanac lists one Tim Locastro as making the last debut on September 29.

BBR lists him as the 19,175th Major Leaguer.

Of the 323 Hall-of-Fame members, 226 have been elected as players...

and that comes to 1.1786% - does that mean we can remove some?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-02-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: english correction
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Way too many players imo. Would personally rather see only 5-10 a generation get in. As much as I like Goose Gossage, I’m not sure I like seeing him lumped in with WaJo, Matty, or Bob Gibson. I feel that I’m probably in the minority here, but putting guys like Trammell and Jack Morris in just makes the Hall not as elite or serious. I’m glad both guys got in considering the current makeup of it but in an ideal world the HOF would be more exclusive.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Ben North

They could kick out every pitcher that does not have 2500 strikeouts or 300 wins. For batters they need 2 of the 3, .300 batting average, 3000 hits, or 500 home runs. That would get it down to the truly elite.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They could kick out every pitcher that does not have 2500 strikeouts or 300 wins. For batters they need 2 of the 3, .300 batting average, 3000 hits, or 500 home runs. That would get it down to the truly elite.
Or truly lucky. By that I mean the players that reach those milestones, it's half skill, and half luck that they didn't suffer career-altering injuries.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
So you would kick Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio out of the HoF?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Way too many players imo. Would personally rather see only 5-10 a generation get in. As much as I like Goose Gossage, I’m not sure I like seeing him lumped in with WaJo, Matty, or Bob Gibson. I feel that I’m probably in the minority here, but putting guys like Trammell and Jack Morris in just makes the Hall not as elite or serious. I’m glad both guys got in considering the current makeup of it but in an ideal world the HOF would be more exclusive.
Completely agree......
Old 03-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:

You'd kick out Sandy Koufax?

Respectfully, Sir...You have lost your mind!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-01-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM

The Hall of Fame / "Hall of Very Good" / who's deserving / who's not question has been debated in here so often,
but like the weather, "everybody complains but no one ever does anything about it."

We mentioned this in another thread [ http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250735 ] just a month ago,
but nobody took the reins:

"A hockey history group ran an interesting exercise several years ago, in which a couple of dozen or so
hockey historians participated in "re-voting" the Hockey Hall of Fame from scratch, a fresh vote every few days.
It took about a year to complete, and the (polite) arguments for and against the various candidates and
the vote manoeuvering got pretty clever and involved as the "years" went by, players were voted in,
failed to be elected but had enough support to be rolled over as eligible for subsequent votes,
fell off the eligibility list after several "years," and so on.

It would be fascinating to see the results of a similar exercise in here to "re-vote" the baseball hall.
Needed: one moderator / tabulator of votes, and as many guys as necessary to comprise a knowledgeable voting body,
all seriously committed to sticking with the project for the year or more the process would require.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
You'd kick out Sandy Koufax?

Respectfully, Sir...You have lost your mind!
I am not sure it has ever worked properly.

My post was meant to be a joke much like the HOF without Clemens and Bonds being in it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Pete Sycks

It became the Hall of Very Good once Rock Raines / Bruce Sutter got in.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I am not sure it has ever worked properly.

My post was meant to be a joke much like the HOF without Clemens and Bonds being in it.

I should have realized that with your emogies.

Too bad we'll never know exactly what portion of Bonds' or Clemens' totals were legit and what portion wasn't.

Being elected to the Hall is not a birth-rite and to have those two sharing the same honored space as Walter, Jackie, Willie and Hank (and I realize there are a lot of questionable characters already in) would irk me to no end.

Maybe their penalty should be to elected posthumously...if they would do it to Mr. Santo, then why not to them.

That's end of sermon. Amen...oh, wait...that's not pc enough...Awomen, too.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
It became the Hall of Very Good once Rock Raines / Bruce Sutter got in.
It arguably became the Hall of Very good when Roger Bresnahan was elected in 1945 (some would argue it was even earlier than that.)