NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default T206 SGC 84 - Is the writing on the slab or the card?

I noticed these two cards that closed on eBay recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120814095853
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110778374853

They were both graded SGC 84 and the fronts look spectacular. The odd thing is that there "appears" to be writing on the back of the card. Now I find it hard to believe that this was overlooked by the graders, so I presume that the ink is on the slab. The seller doesn't call it out... what do you think?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Scott S

That definitely looks to be a price that someone scribbled on the slab. I bet if it had been cleaned up or at least mentioned in the listing, the price (esp. on the Chase) would've gone higher than where it finished!

Nice deal for the buyer because of the writing on the case!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Reg

I was one of the bidders on both of these. I assumed it's on the slabs but never asked the seller but it did keep me a from wanting to win just in case it was on the card...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I think its on the slab not the card. Look closely at the Unglab reverse, it looks as if other things had been written then erased. I'd bet that whichever dealer owned this card had previously written different prices on the back then erased it and subsequently put different prices on it. Don't know why they'd do that though, probably had to press down pretty hard for that to remain as prominent on the plastic. One thing though that might counter my argument is that the writing looks pretty clear, if it was on plastic it might smear a bit more. Lastly, I was watching these sales and thought they went a little inexpensively for SGC 84's especially Probsteins which tend to go for a bit higher price than usual.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

99% sure it is writing on the slab. It's written in marker, not the usual pencil marks that would appear on a t206. Nice cards btw.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I agree with Howard38 the erasures I thought I saw are shadows. Def on the slab.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM

What is that mark on the front of the Unglaub? On the lower right hand (if looking at the image) corner there is a stray line of print that extends below the border of the card's frame. I could not find a similar mark on any of the Unglaub's listed on eBay. Is this is a printing error or do you think there IS a mark on the front of the card?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

I had to imagine the writing's on the slab, if only for the fact that there's no way SGC would make a mistake to grade it an 84 with writing on the card, and there didn't appear to be any tampering with the holder. Nonetheless, it concerned me enough not to bid on the Chase (which I agree with the earlier post that it went for a fairly cheap price).
--S