NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Patrick N.

Default How many complete T206 sets are out there?

Minus the big four (?), how many complete T206 sets exist, and how many potential ones could be pieced together? Thanks for your estimates
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Scott Levy

The key constraining factor on putting complete sets together would be the O'hara and Demmitt cards. Estimates vary on these two....but I tend to think that somewhere around 300-500 of each exist, which would imply that only that number of sets could possibly be created.

I would guess that there are around 25 or so complete sets (but another 20-30 that could be completed with less than 100 cards being added -- some with as few as one or two cards being added).

Of course....just a guess, really.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Alan U

There are over 20 sets 90% or more complete on the PSA set registry and 2 complete sets of 524.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I would guess there are roughly 50-100 sets that have 515+ different. What constitutes a set is debatable. Doyle NY Nat'l and Magie error could arguably be considered not necessary for a basic set, but only for a "master set" that includes error cards. That would be like a 1979 Topps Bump Wills set being complete without the "Rangers" error card (team change corrected early in print run). Of course one could be completely crazy with "master set" and aspire to all possible front/back combos. That would be near impossible, but would be fun to try.
JimB
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

By my count, there are 24 sets on the PSA registry, that are within 100 cards of completion (81% or more complete).

There are also 2 complete sets.

Of the 24 non-complete sets that are within 100 cards of completion:

3 sets are 1 card short (two of them are missing only Doyle NY Natl - the third set isn't visible, so can't tell which card is needed)
4 sets are 3 cards short
6 sets are 4 cards short
2 sets are 5 cards short
2 sets are 9 cards short

So that's 17 of the 24 sets are within 9 cards of completion.

Also, regarding the master set, Levi Bleam is working on it. He's at 41% complete on the PSA registry.

Steve

Last edited by Steve D; 10-16-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Patrick N.

Default raw sets?

What about guys with non-graded sets? Are there several dozen of these raw sets stored away? (perhaps in grannies attic? ()

Again, not trying to get a number of 100% COMPLETE sets (due to the limited # of the big 4(?)) but more curious as to 99% done sets out there if that makes sense...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Tony N.

Default Ultimate T206 complete set

Does anyone know if someone happens to have the ultimate T206 complete set that includes a Wagner, Plank, Magie error, Doyle NY Natl, O' Hara, Demmitt, and a Ty Cobb w/Cobb back?

Tony
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Chris

Here is over 86% of the set for sale if you are looking to get started:

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...8&Lot_No=80369
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Jim VB

I think using registry numbers to try and extrapolate a total is pretty silly in the case of T206. The mere size of the set makes getting it graded overly expensive.

I think the number of raw, or mostly raw sets is much higher than the guesses I'm seeing here. The only obstacle to putting it together is one's budget. All of the first 524 cards are available, at any given time. A few years ago, I put a set (520/524 cards) together, in less than a year. I remember one member here doing it in less than 6 months.

However, most of my set is in Fair condition. In total, it would probably cost me more to have it graded than I spent on assembling it.

Scott is correct though. If you're trying to guess a number that would be the cap of how many sets could be assembled, start with the numbers of O'Hara and Demmitt cards. I certainly have no data that would contradict Scott's guess, but I would have thought the number was higher. There always seem to be some in circulation and you know there are many squirreled away in binders, in the closets of us "old timers."

Last edited by Jim VB; 10-17-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
However, most of my set is in Fair condition. In total, it would probably cost me more to have it graded than I spent on assembling it.
You must have gotten the Wagner at a good price if you have a 524 card set.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
There always seem to be some in circulation and you know there are many squirreled away in binders, in the closets of us "old timers."
I think the correct word is "dinosaur," not "old timer." But if you're going to call yourself that, I think you have to belittle any opinions that don't mirror yours. There are plenty of threads, including a current one, if you need examples.

Last edited by Rob D.; 10-16-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 PM

I also think there are many raw or partially raw/non-registry sets out there. I only have HOFs graded in my set and did that reluctantly because I enjoy flipping through the notebook. I filled the HOF holes with reprints when I graded my HOFs.
JimB
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
You must have gotten the Wagner at a good price if you have a 524 card set.
Thanks for the correction, Mike! I meant
520/524. Sometimes I type too fast and don't proof.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Has the number of complete sets increased much since the last post of over a year ago??
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Tony Ooten

I just skimmed back over this thread and can now add the following:

1. I've reached 515 and expect to get to 518 before long. Avg Fair/good condition.
2. took me 2 years to do it staying within a few price guidelines I set for myself (a certain percentage of a combination of SCD, Beckett, and t206.org vg)
3. I spent more than it would cost to have it graded (a comment to JimVB's post).
4. My personal opinion I would consider Demmit, OHara, Plank, and Wagner part of the set, but could certainly live without the Magie and Doyle.
5. Of those six I may own a Demmit and/or Ohara someday but I doubt it.
6. I can see myself slowly upgrading all my poor and fair cards over the next several years.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Default personally

I have the set up to the Magie. Put it together over about 7 years and mostly one by one. I have about 50 or so graded but I've never actually got a card graded myself. I finished it in 2004 I believe, there is a thread somewhere on this board about me finishing the set, if I can find it I'll post it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Tom A

I'm up to 515, most recent one was a Coles a few weeks ago. Still have the Washington Elberfeld and the two Cobb batting cards to go before I'm "done".
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Reg

How do you guys buy your raw cards? I've always wanted to do this set in a raw form but I'm afraid of buying raw cards? what if there trimmed a little or altered in some way? Especially the high end cards? do you guys buy them graded and break them out?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-guy View Post
How do you guys buy your raw cards? I've always wanted to do this set in a raw form but I'm afraid of buying raw cards? what if there trimmed a little or altered in some way? Especially the high end cards? do you guys buy them graded and break them out?
In the grade I am working it, it is less of a concern, however, it really is a case of the card speaking to you. Admittedly I think before I popped down the money on a Cobb, I'd have to be buying from a dealer I know...

Honestly I often buy slabbed and crack them.

Our of my 400 + cards, I probably obtained 300 raw. Of the 300, I have a couple of doubts about 2. One is a Cobb Greenback I suspect was a skin and was rebacked...but I paid a very low price comparatively. The other is a scarce variation which is obviously trimmed but I also have some reservations about the color and texture...it had apparently been immersed in some liquid sometime which made it feel oily...I bought it from a dealer who has a reasonably good reputation and was comfortable with the backstory, the lot it was part of and the purchase price, which was about the cost of a common in f-g condition. I intend to upgrade it anyway, it's just a filler.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Doug

Default Getting close

I'm at 503 including Demmitt, O'Hara, and Magie. Just some SLer's, Hofers, and some commons left. Hope to finish over the winter. I got most of mine on Ebay, Net54 BST, and Philly card shows. I think my toughest card will be Dahlen-Brooklyn in vg-ex or better(anyone, anyone). Have a look.

http://imageevent.com/philliesphan/d...1&m=16&w=0&p=0
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Making Progress

I'm at 498 right now. It's taken about 3 years to put this much together and I suspect the next 20 cards will take another 3 years. Finding cards is no longer a matter of availability as I've got all the commons and rarer common cards. The cards I need are readily available but cost is more of a prohibitive factor than anything else. I still need 4 SL'ers and 16 HOF'ers including the big ones. After I get to 518 Demmit and O'Hara will join the wantlist and then a miracle will need to occur to get beyond 520.

All cards are graded and I generally buy them that way. I do crack and cross cards on occassion and have had decent results. I've got about 2 dozen cards I intend to upgrade, all cross-overs which failed to cross, with a target grade of VG or better for each card.

The buying frenzy during the first 2 years was quite a rush although my ability to stay within budget was severely challenged. Now that my wantlist is much smaller buying has been greatly curtailed. This lull is giving me time to recover from the first initial spending spree.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Here Doug...

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...oklyn-SGC-5-EX
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Doug

Thanks, that will do just fine.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies*phan View Post
Thanks, that will do just fine.
Good luck!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I'm at 498 right now. It's taken about 3 years to put this much together and I suspect the next 20 cards will take another 3 years. Finding cards is no longer a matter of availability as I've got all the commons and rarer common cards. The cards I need are readily available but cost is more of a prohibitive factor than anything else. I still need 4 SL'ers and 16 HOF'ers including the big ones. After I get to 518 Demmit and O'Hara will join the wantlist and then a miracle will need to occur to get beyond 520.
Very interesting approach to building a set. When at one point I thought I might go for the t206 set, I started by collecting all the HOF'ers first. Every time I've attempted to build a set I took that same approach. The problem with it is that after you have the HOF'ers, it's sort of boring .
Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Mike

Default Other complete mainstream sets for comparison?

It would also be interesting to know the number of other complete "mainstream" sets that have similar characteristics in both the T and E space... E90-1, T205, T207.

Not sure there'd even be agreement on what sets would be considered mainstream, but it would be an interesting parallel thread.

--
Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Default 514 and counting...

Hey guys - I'm currently at 514, and have the Demmitt & O'Hara St.L cards graded 2...about 60% are graded by PSA/SGC with average grade about 40/3, with the remaining raw...looking for a reasonably-priced Breitenstein, Cranston, Foster, Kiernan, Schafly, and Shaughnessy...any help is greatly appreciated!...any condition considered!

Also, I've been thinking of putting it up for B/S/T...any thoughts on what this might trade for, or possible range of selling price?...I saw a recent similar partial set of 496 go at the last REA for around $30k...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default 500/524

Add 1 to the number of t206 sets at 500 cards. I picked up #500 last night (Foster SL). 2 SLers (McCauley & Violat) , 16 HOFers and the Big 6 to go.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 11-29-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Andy Garden

Congrats on the 500 milestone and best of luck knocking out the rest!

Best,

Andy
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Congrats on 500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Add 1 to the number of t206 sets at 500 cards. I picked up #500 last night (Foster SL). 2 SLers (McCauley & Violat) , 16 HOFers and the Big 6 to go.
Agreed... congrats on getting to 500!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206....521, 520, 519....also complete Sovereign (402) set, near Sweet Cap (467) set

Since 1981, I have put together 4 near-complete T206 sets and a complete T206 SOVEREIGN set.

1997......sold my 1st set of 521 cards (with MAGIE) to Barry Sloate.

2004......2nd set of 520 cards (included 35 diff. backs). I broke it up to start an all-PIEDMONT set.

2006......Completed 519 card all-PIEDMONT set......still have it (but sold the MAGIE).

2007......Completed 402 card all-SOVEREIGN set. Added 6 super-prints with SOVEREIGN 460 backs.
.............I continue to eventually complete a master set.

2008......Completed 467 card (no Plank or Wagner) all-SWEET CAPORAL, factory #30 set..............have since sold most of it.

And yes....I'm one of the DINOSAURS on Net54. I started collecting BB cards in 1947 (Bond Bread) - 1952 (Bowman & Topps).
Then, suspended my collecting days till 1977, when I recovered all my BB card collection from my youth. The rest is history.

I admire everyone here who hangs in there for the long-run experience of near completing this set. It is the best way of truly
appreciating the T206 "monster'.

T-Rex TED
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

very common cards are always tough to put a population number to

Ive always thought/heard estimates that there was about 1,000,000 T206 cards out there....

if true that would be about 2,000 of each pose on average.

But like what was mentioned earlier, the 2 Polar Bear exclusive cards (Demmitt and O'Hara) would limit the sets possible.

Last edited by fkw; 11-30-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
very common cards are always tough to put a population number too

Ive always thought/heard estimates that there was about 1,000,000 T206 cards out there....

if true that would be about 2,000 of each pose on average.

But like what was mentioned earlier, the 2 Polar Bear exclusive cards (Demmitt and O'Hara) would limit the sets possible.
only 1 million? I would have guessed much higher.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-01-2011 at 02:03 PM.