NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default Totally O/T but need help fast - 2004 ALCS Signed glove

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I'm sure most of you, like myself have a great passion for modern stuff! lol...especially things that have come to the market in the last few years (laugh some more), in a world where modern sports memorabilia are as rare as the fountain of youth (continue laughing) ...

seriously, a relative of mine has the opportunity to purchase a signed glove w/ LOA from steiner from Kevin Millar. He wore it in the ALCS (and the WS some)....

so a few questions
a) What would you feel is a reasonable price for this piece?
b) How many different auto gloves from the WS are in existence?
c) Do you feel an item like this would retain it's value?
d) Do you have any ideas as to what items like this have sold for and where have they sold (mastro, lelands, etc..etc..)

I have been searching the web for this information, personally i think there are a million other things a die hard red sox fan might want, but i dunno...i have posted this in the GameUsed forum but haven't gotten any responses....

Leon - please don't kill me !!!

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The forum FAQ's state participants can post some o/t. I use the board for some O/T things too. I just don't do it all of the time. good luck

Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Thx leon, i try not to, personally i think this piece is a great way to waste a lot of money, but i'm looking for substantiation from people that actually know things about autographed memorabilia.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

It has occurred to me that if the Sox repeat, it will become last year's news...but it's from THE year they won
for the first time since '18. Hey that was fun. I paid $125 for it, and I know presspins.com wants 150.00. I should think a signed glove would have a tidy bit of value..

Old 08-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Ted,

Is it a batting glove or a fielding glove?

DJ

Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Administrator

fielding glove...

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Ted,

I can kind of relate to you as I dabble in the GU stuff (I own 30+ jerseys) and I love significant pieces that were used in memorable games.

I don't dabble much anymore because I don't like the "Steiner-fication" of the hobby and all the fraud.

a) What would you feel is a reasonable price for this piece?

If it was simply a Millar glove, the value would be around $500...less if he stayed a Marlin. But since it was used in a significant year and comes signed and has documentation, I would probably price this item out at $1,200 and maybe a tad more if it shows some nice wear. I think there would be more demand for his counterparts: Ortiz, Man, Schill, Damon, Foulke, Varitek...

b) How many different auto gloves from the WS are in existence?

Who knows. That's the beauty of the "new collecting world". I started a post in the GU Forum asking that question and it varies with teams. With something like the World Series, could you put it past Steiner to have several?

c) Do you feel an item like this would retain it's value?

The World Series was rather significant only in the point that it broke a long curse. The Series was rather forgettable, four and out. The playoffs were memorable though. Millar played little in the World Series if I remember. I think he started the first game and pinch hit for the rest.

A few months ago, Bill Buckner's 1986 game Seven glove appeared on eBay (not his sixth which Charlies Sheen auctioned off through Lelands) at a starting price of $1,995 and I think that glove is more significant than the Millar's and there were no takers at that starting price. I think as we get away from the year and perhaps the Red Sox win another, the value won't go down much, but perhaps the interest will in the general public.

Hope that helps a little...maybe the GU Forum will have more to say soon.

DJ

Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you DJ,
Great information, it was sort of what i thought with my little bit of knowledge ..but hearing it from someone who actually has a reasonable amount of knowlegde about the subject helps greatly.... email me if you want to know the price of the glove! Lol

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Although I collect some modern stuff as well, I would probably pass on the glove unless it came cheap (Nothing Steiner seems to). For the above $1200 mentioned, I can think of a lot of other things I would rather have.........and would probably be a better investment if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

I'm glad to hear that my opinions are shared by everyone else!

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't know about pricing, but a playoff worn fielding glove is a quality modern item, and Steiner is a reputable company. I don't know their relationship with the Red Sox, but Steiner is partner with the Yankees in the sale of Yankees game worn stuff.

Game used gloves are generally much rarer than jerseys and bats, as a comfortable glove is something the fielder wants to hang on to. Not so long ago I saw a Major Leaguer wearing the same glove he used in high school.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Administrator

David -
That might be regarding rarity, but i think the price is what really threw me. I being a collector, always tell someone that if they want it enough and can afford it, no price is too high. But the price on this didn't seem to be reasonable.... if you're curious you can email me for the value. Of course I'm always biased toward spending good money on items over 50 years old.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Today Steiner's big head was telling the general public on his little retail access show how a player like Alex Rodriguez will a couple of jerseys for the whole year.

While it was a nice little challenge a long time ago to obtain a game used uniform, today you can find it in a retail store (the Yankee stars command five figures) or wait until the latest Grey Flannel catalog comes out and the buzzards at the GU Forum will pick apart the tagging.

I think there is a fine line between what is a "reasonable" price for something and what is simply "outrageous" when you are talking about something like the current Sports Memorabilia. After all, you can't open any catalog without seeing several Bonds, Rodriguez, Sosa and McGwire items.

Of course when I was in Boston earlier this year, I paid $30 to park a few feet from the Stadium.

DJ