NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default Negative effect of MastroNet Auction

Posted By: Scott B. 

Needless to say, MastroNet has another unbelieviable auction once again. It is loaded with unopened materials from Topps' vault. In my opinion, it is not a good idea to see that many great stuffs all at once. What I am saying is, if I were an investor and have $200K to spend in each quarter and have been bidding crazy trying to purchase ALL of the unopened materials that are available in the market. Now, since MastroNet has an unopened 52T full box and assuming it will end at $200K. I would not be able to bid on any other great unopened stuffs (eg. 53T BB packs, 54T BB packs, 61-62 Fleer BBK box...etc) after I won my 52T box since I only have $200K to spend. However, if MastroNet put the rest of the other unopened materials in their next auction(s), in the next quarter, I would have another $200K to play with and outbid the rest of the world. Since that MastroNet have all those great items available all at once, it would affect the ending prices of those great item.

Any comments?

Old 04-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

they don't want one whale coming back every 3 months and gobbling up everything. They want to creat a shark frenzie with lots of sharks. In the end it's better for business.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

"...since I only have $200K to spend"

Wish I had such problems.

Just kidding. I agree with you completely.

Plus not only do you have competition between lots from the same auction but having auctions from different places end around the same time has to limit bidding of many collectors.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

that we won't see some of these lots recycled in the future - or perhaps even a few packs on Ebay or whatever. Was intrigued to see the price disparity already in the 1953 Topps Lot of packs versus the 1953 Topps single pack.

My guess is that at least some of these items will filter their way back onto the market in the next two to three years. Over the past five years, it has been very interesting to look through the major auction catalogs and assess what is "fresh" versus what has been recycled from previous sales....

Old 04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I agree with Scott that it seems strange to have all of this premo wax together. If I had only known as I was opening those 52 packs that I should have put one away for each one that I opened. But there was nothing like opening wax - new packs just don't do it.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

I was just looking at their items and thought, "I should register so I can place a bid." Before I call to ask and run up my phone bill, does anyone know:

1) can you register without paying the $75 (to receive the catalogs -- I'd do my bidding on-line anyway, so I can see the items and thus, don't have a use for them - yes I know they're "nice" and "collectable", but I don't want to pay $75 for them)?

2) Why can they accept credit cards to pay the $75 but not accept credit cards for the auctions themselves?

3) What constitutes a "hobby reference"? Is there a master list of hobby references? Or can I put down my brother and my dad, since they own baseball cards?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Mike (18colt)

Old 04-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

A few possible answers. They probably don't accept credit cards because of the fees. The catalogues monies go to them, and compared to all of their lots, is an inconsequential amount. As for references pick 2-3 folks that you have bought, sold, traded, or spoke about cards to, and that will probably be fine. That really just want to know that you are a regular person....not one of the Flo-Joy (right Hal?) folks....fake and and/or a deadbeat.....later

Old 04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I can't see out of two of my bedroom windows anymore...

My impression of Mastronet is that they don't pace themselves, never have, never will, don't want to. To carry on with the shark metaphore, don't you think other wax collectors will smell the blood in the water?

Old 04-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

You would think that with the number of different auction companies and the quantity/quality of the material, people would run out of money. That never seems to be the case, at least with Mastro. Their lots always sell high.

I still don't understand the large groups. Lots like 400+ mixed E cards - seems like that could easily be broken down to 3-5 lots and sold for more.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

to the poster above, please use a full name. i do not want to be confused with someone haveing a similar name, as i have been a long time reader, poster, collector and dealer.

thanks

scott brockelman

Old 04-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey Scott Br. , we knew it wasn't you because he used some capital letters......later....and good luck hunting..

Old 04-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 823dek

This is the luxury of being rich at others expense!