NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: ramram

Thought I'd try to get away from some of the negative postings and open up a more upbeat thread. If anyone has some new (or old) show & tell material then throw it on here. I'll start out with a recent pick up of an 1888 Cleveland Blues cabinet card. Tentative Id's are: back row - Ed McKean, Unknown, Chief Zimmer, Pop Snyder, Mgr. Jimmy Williams, Jay Faatz, George Proeser, Darby O'Brien, Jersey Bakely, Unknown. Front row - Gus Alberts, Unknown, John McGlone, Cub Stricker (sitting on floor), Bob Gilks (this was noted as being Deacon McGuire in a publication but I'm almost certain it is Gilks), Unknown, Deacon McGuire (I think).

Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Julie

The pirate-like gentleman in the colored disk is Victor Starffin, a great Russian pitcher (lifetime 2.09, w 303, l 176)--all in Japan, between 1936 and 1955, with time off for incarceration in a detention camp during WW2, after which he resumed his very successful career. This is a "menko" ("round face") card, mostly used in children's games, and was made fairly late in his career, though menkos were known in the early '40s. bGary Engel's auction.

The Mayo Ewing you may recognize from Barry Sloate's auction--the one which sold for 1900 in November, and then was declared to be "touched=up by PSA. By golly, Barry thinks it IS touched up! The upper right hand corner, although worn like the other three, is black on BOTH LEVELS of the card while you can see white on the other three corners. It doesn't shine or anything, and was probably done many years ago. Got it 1K cheper--and the image is gorgeous (back is normal black Mayo back).

Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Picked these up a little while back from an antique store... Don't know much about them but thought they were interesting... If you know anything about them - fill me in!

Old 03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: runscott

but as you know, we can take the nicest topic and dirty the hell out of it

I know this is ugly, but it was my only chance to afford a CJ Matty...it'll have to do:

Old 03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Ben

I was the underbidder on that one today....really wanted it, but unfortunately the bid quadrupled within the last few seconds of the auction Congrats on that and the Mino Wagner. If you ever decide to let the Matty go lmk!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: runscott

This card gets an unqualified "5". Here at RSG (runscott grading), we only grade the part of the card that is there. PRO does the same thing, but I'm convinced that with proper marketing we can make the concept work.

Another thought - I could slice the top off my CJ Reulbach, and tape it on!

Old 03-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Jim Clarke

New pick up from Ebay.. Can anyone name all three of them?

Here is a link to the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2794805157&category=50129&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old 03-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Halleygator

I could if I had my old copies of VBCC with me. But I don't.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: ramram

JC - I guess my first question is what team could it be? Does anyone know what the "PM" stands for?

Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: J Levine

I wish I had a better scan of the photo...I think PM might stand for Philadelphia Men's BBC. I have seen one other cabinet with PMBBC on it but have had very little luck in being able to identify the team. Most likely an amateur team or city designation. I also know that there once was a Portland, Maine Base Ball Club around the end of the 19th century.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: leon

I picture/hear this guy saying "dude"....with his sunglasses and all.....breast regards

Old 03-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: dan mckee

WOW! Super card! Is this for sale or trade?? Do you have any others from this issue. Dan.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

edited to remove photograph & text

Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I am only a few months into the e95 series but with my latest pick up I have knocked down 2 of the bigger ones. The condition isn't great, but that's how I like em. The Matty is new, the Plank I've had a few months.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Julie

WHY do the pictures have to disappear so quickly. Want some rent ?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Image files uploaded to N54 have a one-week shelf life. It's not a question of "rent" - that's the time limit they set. Posters who want a file to remain up longer need to have it hosted from a different site.