NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default OT:Where to stay at cooperstown?

Posted By: Jeff Williams

I know this is off topic, but I am planning my trip to the HOF for induction weekend and was curious where I should stay? If you guys have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Williams
jwilliams81@mac.com

Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

Hi Jeff,

If you can afford it, the Otesaga is by far and away the best place to stay -- It's a grand old hotel where all the Hall of Famers stay, so you have access that others don't. There's also the Lake Front Motel, which also gives you easy access to town by foot.
There are several chain motels just outside town -- Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, etc. -- I've stayed in a couple and they are clean and nice.
That said, I'm guessing everything in Cooperstown is booked already (they're expecting the biggest HOF weekend crowd ever), and I wouldn't be surprised if everything is also booked in Oneonta, about 20 minutes away (the nicest hotel there is the Clarion), but there are a bunch of others.
There are lots of little bed and breakfast places all through the region and you might get lucky and find a room there.
I'm not to sure about things west of Cooperstown, but your next best shot to the east might be in Cobleskill (not much to choose from), and after that Albany -- lots to choose from there.
I would not put it off any longer and start looking for accommodations immediately.

Greg

Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

GOOD LUCK! I got my hotel four weeks ago and I only could get within 40 miles of the town. However, there were still some rooms available at $300+ a night in Cooperstown. If you are willing to fork out the moolah, you can stay close. If not, you will be lucky to get within 1 hour.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'm guessing you have to book the Otesaga a year in advance to get in during the induction weekend. It's a pretty nice hotel with a great back porch.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Any other hotels that come to mind. Also, are there any additional attractions in or around the town?

Jeff

Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Brewery Ommegang.
Brewery Ommegang.
Brewery Ommegang.

If you like beer, that is.

-Al

Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: greg

Farmer's Museum, Soccer Hall of Fame, Howe Caverns

Old 03-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I stayed at the Cooperstown Brewery most of the time!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

Blue Mingo Grill for dinner - eat outside if you can. Ommegang has a kickin' Belgian beer fest every summer, as well. MMMM, Beer

edited for spelling of Ommegang

Old 03-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

For those who collect cards of Aida and Salome, there is also of course Glimmerglass in Cooperstown http://www.glimmerglass.org/calendar07.htm

Old 03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

I called almost every hotel in Cooperstown, Oneonta, and every other town close to the Hall of Fame. Each place was booked solid since last September! Looks like I will be staying in Albany and doing the 70 mile drive. Its still going to be a fascinating trip to see Gwynn ( hometown hero) and Ripken be inducted into the HOF. Hope to see some of you there!
Jeff

Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You card collectors may not know this...

but Cooperstown is CHOCK FULL of kids every week of the summer due to HUGE weekly baseball tournaments.

There are roughly 100 teams of 15 kids in Cooperstown every week of the summer. With families... it comes to about 4,000 people a weelk looking for places to stay.

These teams know at least a year ahead of time that they are going... so rooms are all booked way ahead of time.

I think you are out of luck if you have nothing by now.

Here is the web page:

http://www.cooperstowndreamspark.com/thepark.html

Old 03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Albany is more like a 2 hour drive. There is a complex just west of Albany on 88 (name escapes me but it's big and German food prevails) with nice rooms and a lot of property right along the Mohawk River. It's a truck stop too so shouldn't be too hard to find on Google. It should still be there (we stayed there about 10 years ago).