NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Am I unethical if I? SEE THREAD FOR COMPLETE QUESTION
Bend corners back 29 19.46%
Rub off wax with panty hose 17 11.41%
Erase pencil marks 51 34.23%
Soak cards to remove glue, dirt or stains 42 28.19%
Use acetone to remove ink or grime 96 64.43%
Use other chemicals to clean and/or brighten card 110 73.83%
Fix creases and/or pinholes with Kurt's magic spray 118 79.19%
Use a black marker on the corners of my 1971 Topps 138 92.62%
Trim off the fuzzy edges of the card 122 81.88%
BONUS: Am I unethical if I submit my work to PSA and they grade it 77 51.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Wouldn't the erasure of a pencil mark also be part of the card's journey?
Erasing, trimming, and soaking are all part of the card's journey, but only if you can tell that they occured. In each of those cases though the idea is to conceal or remove the card's imperfections. But yes, if you could tell that there was once pencil on the back of a card and that someone had attempted to erase it, that would certainly be a part of the card's history and journey. A card that has been soaked, trimmed and erased has had its 100+ year journey removed, and is now essentially a 21st century card in my eyes. I completely understand your point, but I tend to think of cleaning cards the same way coin collectors frown on cleaning coins.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:47 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
I'm most amazed by the percentage for the first one. If I accidentally bend the corner of a card then put it back into place before selling on the BST, that's unethical? To some people, even fraud? That's ridiculous to me
I think this is the most misunderstood modification on the board, not entirely sure why, but it really seems to be. The advertising for Kurt’s and the actual act of this is using moisture and rollers to press corners with damage to better and sharper condition.

How the understanding with some is that it would be flipping up a bent corner so it can slide in a toploader without an attempt to conceal is a silly debate. The corner is still bent and everyone can see it. If you have a card that is literally folded in half and you put it in a top loader it’s the same. Downgrading a repair method by comparing it with a logical manipulation to store it would be much the same as asking if deer hunting is the same as shooting up a 7-11.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'll skip right past the burgeoning 'Snowman-Gate' (But remember when Leon put that over-the-top annoyance, Adrian, on a daily maximum post limit years ago and the site improved immeasurably overnight? Asking for a friend.), however I want to add to the 'whys' of improving cards.

Besides the two extremes (OCD and profiteering) that are the focus of most discussions (uh oh, I didn't read every thread to make sure those two topics do, in fact, make up at least 51% - or, more specifically, 50% plus a single additional mention - of the chats, so I may be in trouble with a certain data scientist), there is also the much less 'calculated' desire of just making your cards look better, because it does your heart good.

Mending a minorly bent corner, removing a stain or gunk and flattening a 'bubbly' surface are all things I've personally done to my own cards, and I think they're reasonable acts to make a card return to its proper glory. Trimming, recoloring and all of those fraudulent things are anathema to me, and are a completely different ball of wax, but I get excited if I'm able to slightly 'correct' one of my cards through far less than drastic means...and it simply makes me happy, and I do this .

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Well this is obviously correct of him to do, because he is a data scientist with perfect intuition and the main character, after all. Everyone else is always wrong, without any need for evidence or actually looking at the thing in question or even considering if the thing he is claiming is even humanly possible whatsoever, because the appeal to his ego is paramount.

This clown claiming he can detect heavy gamblers he has never met or interacted with or seen by his gut intuition with great accuracy is possibly the stupidest brag I have ever seen on this board.
All I know was I was expecting his poker winnings to be way more than reported on the poker sites with all his knowledge/intuition.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:07 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
All I know was I was expecting his poker winnings to be way more than reported on the poker sites with all his knowledge/intuition.
Ben, those totals are not adjusted for inflation.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm not in support of estalking. I can tell he's full of shit easily enough when he claims to have impossible powers and tells blatant lies he can't support to defend his favorite fraudsters . I love free speech over everything, but it would be nice if this idiot would at least try to keep his claims plausible instead of going over-the-top with the senseless ego babble not a single person is going to believe. It's like a four year old who doesn't understand there is an objective reality outside their internal narrative.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:38 PM
Chase

Quote:
I'm not in support of estalking. I can tell he's full of shit easily enough when he claims to have impossible powers and tells blatant lies he can't support to defend his favorite fraudsters . I love free speech over everything, but it would be nice if this idiot would at least try to keep his claims plausible instead of going over-the-top with the senseless ego babble not a single person is going to believe. It's like a four year old who doesn't understand there is an objective reality outside their internal narrative.
There is large a gray area between responding/addressing someone and estalking, imo. As you point out, he has opened himself up to ridicule with the absurd and baseless stuff that he posts. And this goes back to his early days here too.

I have not seen posts of his in support of PWCC or in defense of them since Brent was sent packing by Fanatics. Maybe I missed them but prior to that he was a moving banner ad for PWCC, no doubt.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:38 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Adrian
I haven’t thought about that guy in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-23-2024, 06:49 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Ok. Take a breath. Maybe walk around the block.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2024, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I don't really have a dog in this hunt but I am surprised that, as a lawyer, you took Snowman's word at face value and didn't recognize that he may have deployed a classic argument from authority. He may very well have experience creating and administering opinion polls to the public, but his LinkedIn profile indicates significant experience mainly working with complex data sets. I am not a data scientist, but I know enough statistics to know they are very different disciplines.
Who took his word at face value? I've done nothing but call BS on him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Ok. Take a breath. Maybe walk around the block.

Had a great run. How was your cardio today?
Old 03-23-2024, 07:11 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy102175 View Post
Erasing, trimming, and soaking are all part of the card's journey, but only if you can tell that they occured. In each of those cases though the idea is to conceal or remove the card's imperfections. But yes, if you could tell that there was once pencil on the back of a card and that someone had attempted to erase it, that would certainly be a part of the card's history and journey. A card that has been soaked, trimmed and erased has had its 100+ year journey removed, and is now essentially a 21st century card in my eyes. I completely understand your point, but I tend to think of cleaning cards the same way coin collectors frown on cleaning coins.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and I see your point. To relate it to my collection, I sometimes bid on GU flannels that have vintage team number changes. This was commonplace back in the pre-1972 era. But I never bid on jerseys that have modern restorations, like new numbers or lettering added. As you say, that makes the shirt 21st century.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:44 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Had a great run. How was your cardio today?
I lifted today. I'll run tomorrow. I am getting lazy on the sit-ups, though.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:42 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I am not a data scientist, but I know enough statistics to know they are very different disciplines.
This is of course, nonsense. They are nearly one and the same discipline. Every graduate-level data science program in the country requires numerous statistics courses. And many statistics programs offer two tracks - biostatistics or data science. The only difference is that a data scientist is a statistician with coding skills.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:46 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
This clown claiming he can detect heavy gamblers he has never met or interacted with or seen by his gut intuition with great accuracy is possibly the stupidest brag I have ever seen on this board.
Do you realize how stupid you look right now? Anyone who has spent decades of their life entrenched in the gambling world can easily identify the traits of a gambling addict. It's not a super power or a brag. It's no different from a bartender with 20 years of experience being able to identify an alcoholic.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:36 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This is of course, nonsense. They are nearly one and the same discipline. Every graduate-level data science program in the country requires numerous statistics courses. And many statistics programs offer two tracks - biostatistics or data science. The only difference is that a data scientist is a statistician with coding skills.
Nearly is doing a lot of work right there. Constructing a polling question is not the same as writing an SQL script and the resulting data set differs in size from a large database by several orders of magnitude. As has been pointed out upthread, your arguments here rest on repetition of your job title and not by laying out cogent and accessible arguments.

You might want to consider that, when faced with a group that universally disagrees with you, there are explanations other than that they obviously are unable to appreciate your brilliance.

But, this is getting pretty far afield from the intent of the thread and I have to pack for an early flight to attend a business conference. So, I will concede to you the point the one thing you seem to covet: the last word.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 03-24-2024 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Grammar bad
Old 03-24-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and I see your point. To relate it to my collection, I sometimes bid on GU flannels that have vintage team number changes. This was commonplace back in the pre-1972 era. But I never bid on jerseys that have modern restorations, like new numbers or lettering added. As you say, that makes the shirt 21st century.
I really like that comparison to jerseys. What's interesting as well is that although I knew there were number changes on some vintage jerseys, I didn't realize it was commonplace pre- 1972. Those vintage jerseys' "imperfections" just taught me something about baseball I didn't know until you mentioned it, so to make 21st century alterations that are "corrections" is really a shame in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:35 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
I vote "All of the Above" is unethical, assuming we're referring to selling or trading the card to someone else without disclosure of the alteration (or "restoration," "improvement," "cleaning," "wiping," "sprucing," or whatever phrase you like).

As for the PSA question, someone suggested in the previous thread that the card is whatever the PSA label says it is. I strongly disagree, and I'll use Fritsch W512 prints as an example. Because PSA dabbles in incompetence, it has slabbed a number of obvious Fritsch prints as original W512 strip cards.

Getting a lazy PSA grader to put "1926 W512" on the label doesn't magically transform an ersatz Ruth into an original one. Let's say I knowingly submitted the above Fritsch print to PSA, and PSA slabbed it as a W512 Grade 1. If I sold it to someone without disclosing that it's really a Fritsch print, then I committed fraud.

Bless your shriveled black heart if you're willing to give me a pass in that scenario, but the reality is that you're a scumbag enabling another scumbag.
It's going to seem like a dumb thing to argue, but that actually does have all the value of a W512 Grade 1 Babe Ruth because of their guarantee. So the flip does define what's inside...even if outside the slab it would be defined differently. Counterfeits, alterations, anything the flip doesn't mention doesn't exist while it's in the slab, value-wise anyway. True story.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Do you realize how stupid you look right now? Anyone who has spent decades of their life entrenched in the gambling world can easily identify the traits of a gambling addict. It's not a super power or a brag. It's no different from a bartender with 20 years of experience being able to identify an alcoholic.
A bartender could not tell an alcoholic from the way he "carries himself" on TV.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:27 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A bartender could not tell an alcoholic from the way he "carries himself" on TV.
We don't know that for sure. If that bartender also has a grad degree in data science and has coding skills, he too might have the same super power that snowman has.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:30 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
We don't know that for sure. If that bartender also has a grad degree in data science and has coding skills, he too might have the same super power that snowman has.
Unless They have self proclaimed "Monk Like" abilities. Not in regard to celibacy, but sleuthing.

Its a jungle out there !

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-24-2024, 11:39 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
A bartender cannot identify an alcoholic they have never even met and have no experience with. A gambler cannot tell a gambler they have never even met based on absolutely nothing but their immense ego.

Having experience in a category does not mean you can just magically discern people excessively into it based on absolutely nothing.

This is the stupidest garbage that has hit the main board in a long time. Your schtick would do a lot better if you cut off the top 20% of your vain bullshit that has nothing to do with reality.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:17 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
It's going to seem like a dumb thing to argue, but that actually does have all the value of a W512 Grade 1 Babe Ruth because of their guarantee. So the flip does define what's inside...even if outside the slab it would be defined differently. Counterfeits, alterations, anything the flip doesn't mention doesn't exist while it's in the slab, value-wise anyway. True story.
I'd argue that the flip still doesn't define what's inside. What you're describing isn't a "W512 Grade 1 Babe Ruth," it's a coupon for PSA reimbursement.

If you treat cards as nothing more than currency, then I suppose it's a distinction without a difference.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:46 PM
Chase

Quote:
Having experience in a category does not mean you can just magically discern people excessively into it based on absolutely nothing.
There is a certain amount, granted it is a very large amount, of disbelief one must suspend in engaging with Travis. I would hope this is just a game for him and not the way he actually conducts himself outside of here.

Quote:
This is the stupidest garbage that has hit the main board in a long time.
More accurately, this is the stupidest garbage that has hit the main board since his last time. This is not his first performance and it will not be his last.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
A bartender cannot identify an alcoholic they have never even met and have no experience with. A gambler cannot tell a gambler they have never even met based on absolutely nothing but their immense ego.

This is the stupidest garbage that has hit the main board in a long time. Your schtick would do a lot better if you cut off the top 20% of your vain bullshit that has nothing to do with reality.
No no you don't get it, it's based on how Shohei "carries himself."

Old 03-24-2024, 02:46 PM
Chase

Sadly we will have to wait until after midnight PST for Travis to add to this thread. Speaking for myself...I simply cannot wait. He told me in a PM (in between numerous f bombs) that he refuses to interact with me here.

This has not dashed my hopes that we might be able to chat on the phone or hang out for coffee.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No no you don't get it, it's based on how Shohei "carries himself."
Very true. As a mere mortal who cannot assign myself the power of God to decisively judge the internal sins of rando's I don't know even know, I don't really understand quite how it all works for data scientists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Sadly we will have to wait until after midnight PST for Travis to add to this thread. Speaking for myself...I simply cannot wait. He told me in a PM (in between numerous f bombs) that he refuses to interact with me here.

This has not dashed my hopes that we might be able to chat on the phone or hang out for coffee.
The good news is that, as he has experience drinking beverages, he can tell based on how you carry yourself exactly how you take your coffee and if you like decaf, sugar, cream or other features. Could start a very successful business here with this skill. Wouldn't it be convenient to not have to input your order into an app or to give it at the counter, if they could simply just know your interests and proclivities and tastes and bring you what you wanted?
Old 03-24-2024, 03:09 PM
Chase

Quote:
The good news is that, as he has experience drinking beverages, he can tell based on how you carry yourself exactly how you take your coffee and if you like decaf, sugar, cream or other features. Could start a very successful business here with this skill. Wouldn't it be convenient to not have to input your order into an app or to give it at the counter, if they could simply just know your interests and proclivities and tastes and bring you what you wanted?
AI Snowman?
Old 03-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Nearly is doing a lot of work right there. Constructing a polling question is not the same as writing an SQL script and the resulting data set differs in size from a large database by several orders of magnitude. As has been pointed out upthread, your arguments here rest on repetition of your job title and not by laying out cogent and accessible arguments.

You might want to consider that, when faced with a group that universally disagrees with you, there are explanations other than that they obviously are unable to appreciate your brilliance.

But, this is getting pretty far afield from the intent of the thread and I have to pack for an early flight to attend a business conference. So, I will concede to you the point the one thing you seem to covet: the last word.
Well, what can I say? You sure got me there. I was just kidding all along. I'm talking out my ass. I fold. Nice hand, sir.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Unless They have self proclaimed "Monk Like" abilities. Not in regard to celibacy, but sleuthing.

Its a jungle out there !
On behalf of everyone, I thank you for that reference.
I frickin' loved that show!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:19 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

You guys are hilarious. Keep up the great work!
Old 03-24-2024, 03:40 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default I guess I don't get it

I mean, Snowman seems like a nice enough guy. Probably a little too defensive of card doctors. Probably a little too defensive of PWCC. But aside from quibbling about those details, I'm not sure why the need to get after him in this fashion.

I will admit...

He's often excessively confident.

He doesn't hesitate to share his opinion.

He often speaks in what seems like hyperbole.

He sometimes doesn't fully explain his ideas, or what he means.

He holds himself out as an expert in all things.

He's a snob about centering.

But at the same time, that probably sounds like a lot of us. Certainly it sounds a lot like me, aside from the centering thing - that's never been all that important to me.

His assertion about gamblers was just that. And a lot of us disagree with him, and have shared why his assertion sure seems faulty. I suspect that he's probably right that many degenerate gamblers are easy to spot, even from a distance. But as many of you have rightly pointed out, not everyone fits the criteria, plus unless we're hanging out with them personally, we don't have much of a nexus for attempting to really conclude.

Personally, as a Giants fan full of schadenfreude for the hated ones, I would like nothing more than to see Ohtani suspended for life (with pay, of course).

But now that you've made those points, I'm not sure why there's a need to linger any longer over the dead horse, just to kick it a bit more.

It's just a matter of time before someone posts a video like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (48.9 KB, 62 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-24-2024, 04:05 PM
Chase

I disagree with almost 100% of what snowman posts but he is far from an enemy of the hobby even with his stance on doctoring or cozy feelings towards Brent/PWCC. I am not 100% sure he has been 100% transparent with the extent of either of those positions but that aside, my rub is that he always posts an an authority on absolutely every topic and with extreme arrogance.

Fact is that he is not an authority on almost every topic he posts on and the things he posts are very absurd and filled with flawed logic. What he is, is a person just like the rest of us, who has an opinion. And even if you have a strong opinion, make sure you that it is conveyed as just that and if you are unwilling, as he is, to admit you are wrong, then it leaves most people being annoyed.

And despite what it may appear, I like having him here. Not because I goof on him but I like that he brings a different perspective or point of view to the discussion. Just as I have not taken his GFY personally I hope I have not conveyed disdain or disrespect to him in my posts to him and about him. I figured him for a guy who has to have VERY thick skin but again I do not have the same super powers that he has based on how he carries himself so I could be wrong. But ya almost have to have thick skin if you are gonna go out on a limb as far and as often as he does.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:09 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Snowman seems like a nice enough guy. TRUE

Probably a little too defensive of card doctors. TRUE

Probably a little too defensive of PWCC. FALSE

He's often excessively confident. TRUE

He doesn't hesitate to share his opinion. TRUE

He often speaks in what seems like hyperbole. TRUE

He sometimes doesn't fully explain his ideas, or what he means. TRUE

He holds himself out as an expert in all things. FALSE

He's a snob about centering. TRUE

His assertion about gamblers was just that. TRUE

I suspect that he's probably right that many degenerate gamblers are easy to spot, even from a distance. FALSE
I'll cosign on most of that.

A point of clarity on the last one. It is much easier to rule out a disorder than it is to diagnose one. I don't think you can just look at some random person and tell if they're a degenerate gambler. But I think you can observe someone and rule out that possibility with near certainty based on how they conduct themselves. It is a mental disorder. It's even listed in the DSM-V. The traits of someone with this disease are difficult to hide. It consumes them.

Last edited by Snowman; 03-25-2024 at 04:22 AM.